+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Almost 2 year old suddenly waking!

Morning ladies My DS has suddenly decided to wake at night and screams bloody murder till he gets a sippy cup of milk. This has been going on for the last 2 weeks. He will be 2 in 6 weeks and has not asked for a night time bottle in a about 8 months. He has never been the best sleeper but doesn't wake in the middle of the night crying for a bottle. Has anyone had any experience with this? His night time routine is as follows;

5 - 5.30 dinner
    6pm bath
    6.30 sippy cup milk
    7pm story time and into bed

Really hoping this is just a phase as I am exhausted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It could be molars or he could be hungry. I would wake too if i had dinner at 5.30..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What PP said. He is probably hungry. Can you increase his milk before bed or give him something more substantial? I give my kids home made custard in the evenings to keep their tummies full especially if they don't eat lots during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2 year old has the same routine, and did the same sort of thing for a while - we try not to give her milk in the night, but she just wouldn't go back to sleep so we gave it to her. Then she started expecting it every night!
    So we would just go in, give her a cuddle & tuck her back into bed and explain that it was sleep time and she wasn't getting any milk. It took a couple of exhausting nights but she stopped waking for it.
    It's as if she wakes around then anyway between sleep cycles, and if she thinks she can get milk she'll cry out, but if she knows she won't get it she'll just go back to sleep.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TaylorMade For This Useful Post:

FTMumma  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    It could be molars or he could be hungry. I would wake too if i had dinner at 5.30..

I have tried to stretch him out but he is asking for it by 5pm and if I serve it to late he is cranky and tired and doesn't eat as much. I thought 5.30pm was a reasonable time for a almost 2 year olds dinner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
    My 2 year old has the same routine, and did the same sort of thing for a while - we try not to give her milk in the night, but she just wouldn't go back to sleep so we gave it to her. Then she started expecting it every night!
    So we would just go in, give her a cuddle & tuck her back into bed and explain that it was sleep time and she wasn't getting any milk. It took a couple of exhausting nights but she stopped waking for it.
    It's as if she wakes around then anyway between sleep cycles, and if she thinks she can get milk she'll cry out, but if she knows she won't get it she'll just go back to sleep.
    I think we need to just bite the bullet and not give it to him. Its hard when you have work the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMumma View Post
    I have tried to stretch him out but he is asking for it by 5pm and if I serve it to late he is cranky and tired and doesn't eat as much. I thought 5.30pm was a reasonable time for a almost 2 year olds dinner.
    We have the same thing. DD1 has dinner around 5pm because she eats more then. If I give her dinner later she's too tired to eat much, and that's when she wakes up hungry.

Good luck with weaning him off - I used to try do it on a weekend so DH didn't have to work & we'd both be home the next day. We've had to do it a few times, after giving in and giving milk as a last resort while she was teething or sick. Hope it happens quickly for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he still having a day sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Is he still having a day sleep?

Yeah he is and there's no way he would be able to drop it yet. He basically asks me to go to bed around noon. He is also in daycare 4 days a week and they have the same nap time although I doubt he would have as long a nap as he has at home. He sleeps 2 hours when he is home with me. I had a better night last night I managed to stretch his dinner out a little so by the time he finished it was almost 6pm. I put him to be just after 7 but didn't get him to sleep till 8. I heard him stir around midnight but didn't even have to go in to him and I had to wake him up this morning at 7.20am!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try a bowl of porridge or something more substantial than a cup of milk. My son started waking at around 2yo too. Since we started giving him two pieces of toast and a cup of milk about 45 mins after dinner he has been sleeping soundly again