+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm surprised no one has posted this yet...

http://youtu.be/kMeU_szhZ6E

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Black face - why is it racist?

Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    No problem

If you were to dress in German attire, that's fine (as long as it isn't relating to the Holocaust because, well, genocide and one of the worst things to have happened in history against the Jewish people, specifically and all that). Not to mention Jewish people still face persecution today and there is still a lot going on in Europe currently, although I'm not familiar with the details at the moment.

Okay, so this is kind of complicated, but I'll try and keep it short.

Dressing in clothing belonging to a specific culture that has a deep significance to the group that owns that clothing or item, takes away the meaning that that clothing or item signifies. For example, the Indian headdress (warbonnets) were given to men who had earned the respect of people in their tribe. Only the most powerful and brave men were allowed to wear them. The feather in the warbonnet was given every time the man did a brave act. It has to be earned. So it's understandable why Native Americans get upset when white people (or anyone not Native American to be honest), slaps in on their head like it's nothing. That compared to how Native Americans are still treated...it's pretty gross.

Basically, when you wear something of cultural significance as a costume, it takes the meaning out if it. Whether a person intends malice or not, it's insensitive. The same concept is applied to Aboriginal people. It's best not to dress as an Aboriginal person because the history is so disturbing, regardless of whether you "respect" the culture or not. Sometimes respect means admiring from a distance. It's all about history and meaning.

Dressing up as a white person, character or celebrity is fine. Because there is no oppression there.
    I think I get what you mean now.

I've worn a saree to an Indian wedding and fancy dress party, German traditional dress to Oktoberfest, ao dai to a Vietnamese wedding etc. It's probably actually the Germans who I've offended the most. Using their national holiday as an excuse to party and drink....
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 23-02-2016 at 16:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotdog View Post
    I don't understand your comment here. How can you be racist and be unaware? The definition of racist is thinking that one race is superior to another. It's like saying you can be homophobic and unaware. You either are or you aren't.

And I think intention is relevant. So should I not announce my pregnancy because it might offend someone?
    This exactly.

You can make a racist comment and be unaware. But you cannot BE racist and unaware. Intent is key.

I never said noone had the right to be offended by this. If someone is offended that should be addressed, but if the person did not mean to cause offence, that also needs to be noted.

And yes there is a set criteria to "blackface"- that's why it is offensive.

Choosing to be ignorant is different- someone can find what you did to be racist but that doesn't make you a racist. Like someone said, it is systematic and not a one off thing.

This is why racism is still so pervasive- because if someone of a different race gets offended by someone of another race, the person offended is seen as a victim. Instead, they should just be seen as someone who is offended. Completely valid, but not a victim. (Unless, of course, it was something reoccurring- which really then becomes bullying and not just racism).

Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    You're wrong, racism does just happen. That's where modern acceptance/indifference to black face stems from, its called "systemic racism" and precisely what makes black face offensive regardless of intent. And I reckon facts from an educated understanding of an issue trumps an opinion. I really dislike people pulling the "I'm entitled to my opinion" cos it's not valid if it's just an opinion.
    No, actually I am not wrong. As a definition, racism is a BELIEF that you are superior/the other is inferior because of race. You cannot believe something accidentally. Be raised to believe it, yes. Be ignorant of believing it, yes. That does not remove intent, or the belief.
    Systemic racism is different to racism- linked intrinsically, sure, but 'plain' racism is different.

You are wrong. An opinion is valid as an opinion. Is it more valid than fact, no of course not- but I didn't say it was. Nothing trumps anything in relation to these issues- everything needs to be discussed.
    Last edited by DT75; 23-02-2016 at 17:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    With many American friends and having spent time in the US then yes I can absolutely understand how black face is offensive to African Americans. It's basically a tradition from the olden days designed to entertain privileged white people by making African Americans look like buffoons.

It's the same as myself walking down a street in Australia and yelling out "hey Abbo! What do you think you're doing!" to an indigenous Australian.

The Aussie chick may not have realised the the social implications - no doubt she does now.

I don't buy the Hemingsworth dudes excuses. He has been in the US often enough to know better. When in Rome you have an obligation to make sure you don't do stuff that the Romans would consider offensive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    This exactly.

You can make a racist comment and be unaware. But you cannot BE racist and unaware. Intent is key.

I never said noone had the right to be offended by this. If someone is offended that should be addressed, but if the person did not mean to cause offence, that also needs to be noted.

And yes there is a set criteria to "blackface"- that's why it is offensive.

Choosing to be ignorant is different- someone can find what you did to be racist but that doesn't make you a racist. Like someone said, it is systematic and not a one off thing.

This is why racism is still so pervasive- because if someone of a different race gets offended by someone of another race, the person offended is seen as a victim. Instead, they should just be seen as someone who is offended. Completely valid, but not a victim. (Unless, of course, it was something reoccurring- which really then becomes bullying and not just racism).

No, actually I am not wrong. As a definition, racism is a BELIEF that you are superior/the other is inferior because of race. You cannot believe something accidentally. Be raised to believe it, yes. Be ignorant of believing it, yes. That does not remove intent, or the belief.
    Systemic racism is different to racism- linked intrinsically, sure, but 'plain' racism is different.

You are wrong. An opinion is valid as an opinion. Is it more valid than fact, no of course not- but I didn't say it was. Nothing trumps anything in relation to these issues- everything needs to be discussed.
    Sorry but racism is more than a single Oxford definition, this one single definition is not an absolute. Racism consists of many layers which consist of ideologies, philosophies, behaviours...

Could you give me an example of "plain" racism and tell me why it's different to systemic racism?

Discussion is great when its based on facts and research but putting your opinion across and ending it your argument with "well thats my opinion" kinda weakens your point. Or means you don't really have a point just an opinion.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (24-02-2016),hopeful1986  (23-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (23-02-2016),Ngaiz  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I agree with you. I don't think flaming her is useful.
    Yes let's make it a priority to ensure feelings aren't hurt when we chastise Someone for racist conduct...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Yes let's make it a priority to ensure feelings aren't hurt when we chastise Someone for racist conduct...
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic but I don't think flaming is useful in lots of instances. Flame the behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When my brother was little I caught him in the backyard playing basketball, pretending to be Michael Jordan (his IDOL), covered from head to toe in brown texta

His intent wasn't racist. As a naïve 8 year old he wouldn't have had a clue about racism, he just wanted to be like Mike.

This young female basketball star was obviously just as naïve. I find it hard to believe that she wouldn't have known that painting her face black would be offensive but some people just aren't aware.

I am usually the first to hate on the PC police, but I think in this instance, with the history of black oppression/slavery etc, that if the black community find face painting (whether complimentary in nature or not) offensive, then you just have to respect that and not do it. Doesn't matter if you agree or not.

I feel sorry for the girl, she's had to learn a hard lesson in a very public, embarrassing way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Black face - why is it racist?

Black face is racist because it stems from a time in history when it was used to mock an entire race for entertainment, cementing the belief that they were less superior to whites (see links below). Being American I grew up knowing it was an unacceptable part of our history not to be repeated so was shocked by that incidence on 'Hey hey it's saturday' a few years ago. Including that incidence there have been a couple high profile cases of somebody doing this on TV in OZ (one on The Voice comes to mind) and I am continually surprised that people, especially ones in a position to be on tv, do not understand why it is so inappropriate.

http://black-face.com

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 24-02-2016 at 08:31.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-02-2016),babyno1onboard  (23-02-2016),Clementine Grace  (23-02-2016),Ngaiz  (23-02-2016),PomPoms  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Black face is racist because it stems from a time in history when it was used to mock an entire race for entertainment cementing the belief that they were less superior to whites (see links below). Being American I grew up knowing it was an unacceptable part of our history not to be repeated so was shocked by that incidence on 'Hey hey it's saturday' a few years ago. Including that incidence there have been a couple high profile cases of somebody doing this on TV in OZ (one on The Voice comes to mind) and I am continually surprised that people, especially ones in a position to be on tv, do not understand why it is so inappropriate.

http://black-face.com

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface
    Thank you. I'm also continually surprised that some people don't realise why it's so inappropriate and so deeply offensive to some.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (23-02-2016)