+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I get why it's racist, and I wouldn't do it out of respect for the past. I also wouldn't buy a golliwog for the same reasons.

I found it strange that golliwogs were back in vogue a few years back.

However I think we are relatively sheltered from this issue here in Australia. Not withstanding the fact that our own indigenous people have their own issues, but we just don't 'get' the whole black/Martin Luther king/slavery issue.

In saying that however, I do think it's a bit sad that if I wanted to dress up like Michael Jackson or Beyoncé, someone would think I was being racist, when all I wanted to do was play fancy dress. But it is what it is, so I wouldn't ever think of doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    I get why it's racist, and I wouldn't do it out of respect for the past. I also wouldn't buy a golliwog for the same reasons.

I found it strange that golliwogs were back in vogue a few years back.

However I think we are relatively sheltered from this issue here in Australia. Not withstanding the fact that our own indigenous people have their own issues, but we just don't 'get' the whole black/Martin Luther king/slavery issue.

In saying that however, I do think it's a bit sad that if I wanted to dress up like Michael Jackson or Beyoncé, someone would think I was being racist, when all I wanted to do was play fancy dress. But it is what it is, so I wouldn't ever think of doing it.
    You could totally 100% dress up as Beyonce or Michael Jackson or anyone you admire. Just don't paint your face brown/black to do it. That's all people are saying. And avoid outfits with cultural significance (eg. Native American head dresses).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (23-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can still dress up as Michael Jackson or Beyoncé, it's the painted black face that's the offensive part. Especially to parts of America.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    tbh you wouldn't need to do black face to dress up as MJ 😂

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

amyd  (23-02-2016),misho  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Why would there be an uproar with White Chicks? White chicks have not been parodied and had them **** taken out of them and their slavery plight, last time I recalled. I guess it's not that bad if yanno taking the **** out of one of the most revolting times in modern history is ok.
    This. The whole point of 'Blackface' was to mock and humiliate black people. It's not just the act of painting ones face, there is so much more to it.

I (me personally, as a 'coloured' person) don't find her actions racist as *I* feel that there was no hurtful intent and that it was just distasteful. But that doesn't mean that the next person feels the same way.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-02-2016),SuperGranny  (23-02-2016),TheGooch  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    Blackface doesn't have a set criteria. You paint your face black...you are doing black face, end of. Intention is irrelevant, it's the act itself. You don't need to have the intention of being racist to be racist. You can be racist and unaware of it (and yes it does have to do with a lack of education).

Also, racism against white people is not a thing because for racism to work there has to be prejudice + power. When there is no power, it's just prejudice, or discrimination. For racism to be a thing it has to be systemic, not just "I hate you because you're white".
    I don't understand your comment here. How can you be racist and be unaware? The definition of racist is thinking that one race is superior to another. It's like saying you can be homophobic and unaware. You either are or you aren't.

And I think intention is relevant. So should I not announce my pregnancy because it might offend someone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    While I wouldn't do it as I *do* know about the history of black face, is it reasonable to expect all Aussies to know about it?
    I'm only aware because I've always been a history nerd and took a strong interest in Martin Luther King and, thus, black American history in year 4. But, even in American history in yr 11, this was not mentioned in school.

She didn't paint herself and try to emulate a racial stereotype, but the appearance of a particular celebrity, so it's a mistake that would be easily made by someone that isn't aware of its significance. I don't think she deserves to be flamed in the way that she has, but she certainly should be if she does it again.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-02-2016),misho  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spotdog View Post
    I don't understand your comment here. How can you be racist and be unaware? The definition of racist is thinking that one race is superior to another. It's like saying you can be homophobic and unaware. You either are or you aren't.

And I think intention is relevant. So should I not announce my pregnancy because it might offend someone?
    Because it's so ingrained in our society? Because some people still do black face today and still claim that it wasn't racist? Because I've seen people wear swastikas and STILL claim they are not racist. Because people literally choose to be ignorant rather than ask themselves if they are part of the problem. That's the issue. Racism is much, much more complicated than what you described it as.

And your pregnancy example is a false equivalency. You cannot compare systemic oppression to a pregnancy, sorry.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    While I wouldn't do it as I *do* know about the history of black face, is it reasonable to expect all Aussies to know about it?
    I'm only aware because I've always been a history nerd and took a strong interest in Martin Luther King and, thus, black American history in year 4. But, even in American history in yr 11, this was not mentioned in school.

She didn't paint herself and try to emulate a racial stereotype, but the appearance of a particular celebrity, so it's a mistake that would be easily made by someone that isn't aware of its significance. I don't think she deserves to be flamed in the way that she has, but she certainly should be if she does it again.
    I get what you're saying and I think you raise a really good point regarding expecting all Aussies to know about it. You can't expect that, but by also not having a uproar about it means that a whole lot of Aussies still go around thinking it's ok iykwim. If we don't flame the behaviour then generations of people continue to not see "what the big deal is".

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @atomicmama that's why I said I don't think she was being racist but blackface in and of itself is racist. It's like when recently Chris Hemsworth and his wife posted photos from a party all dressed up as native Americans. I don't think they meant offence but were just entitled idiots who did a dumb thing.

These are all teachable moments. That idiot from matchbox 20 made a dumb remark about being as drunk as a black Australian at a concert this week. Seriously. People in the public eye just need to not.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-02-2016),TheGooch  (23-02-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast