+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    You really can't see why she was making those comparisons?
    I refuse to accept that you are being that obtuse about a very valid point she was making.

You can admire someone without mocking their race
    No I think it's wierd.
    I do not believe she was mocking anyone.
    Again I have a different opinion. Let it go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Black face - why is it racist?

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    You are a very rude person. No body here was talking about a nazi, a holocaust victims, dead relatives or cancer victims. How bizarre you would even bring them up.

I'd say the girl loves Kayne and was dressing up as someone she admires. End of.

I have a different opinion from you. Move on. I'm not racist in the slightest but if you think so I don't really care. I think people in this thread are totally over reacting.
    Huh? How is she being rude? I think you're totally over reacting to her very well articulated post on why it's racist to paint your face black.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-02-2016),Once Upon a Time  (23-02-2016),TheGooch  (23-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I think it's wierd.
    I do not believe she was mocking anyone.
    Again I have a different opinion. Let it go.
    Specifically the nazi part that actually has to do with race?
    And I agree with you that maybe she was not INTENTIONALLY mocking anyone, but the end result was that she most certainly was.

Also, you posted in this thread with an opinion and others are allowed to challenge it.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-02-2016),BettyW  (23-02-2016),TheGooch  (23-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You are a very rude person. No body here was talking about a nazi, a holocaust victims, dead relatives or cancer victims. How bizarre you would even bring them up.

I'd say the girl loves Kayne and was dressing up as someone she admires. End of.

I have a different opinion from you. Move on. I'm not racist in the slightest but if you think so I don't really care. I think people in this thread are totally over reacting.
    I'm thinking you're being difficult on purpose as the examples I've used illustrate the point perfectly and show how they apply to other non-race related issues.

by virtue of the fact you're calling me rude, I shall assume I've made my point. obviously you can see how attending a party dressed up as a holocaust victim would be offensive. dressing up in blackface is no different.

it doesn't matter that she went as Kanye. it's the blackface reference that's the issue here.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    As in dressing as a character. Dog, person, Spider-Man.. Whatever. You know I wasn't comparing a black person to a dog ffs.

Double standards saying dressing as white person is OK. So saying a black person is lower and needs a pass I life is racist I get that. So saying a white person is a rich ***** or privileged in life because they are white isn't?
    My husband is black and he doesn't see the uproar either.. He gets that she was just trying to look like Kanye. I suppose if I lived as a black person in the day they were dressed up as to be mocked it may be different but no one was mocking Kanye today just dressing to look like him.. No mocking to be seen.
    Please do some reading on this before you write this issue off

And just because your husband isn't offended doesn't remove the offence. So if I've never experienced sexism in the workplace it means it doesn't exist?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I really dislike people pulling the "you are not educated on this" card when someone offers a VALID opinion on something like this.

Racism has intent, it doesn't just happen.

Yes there is a historical background to this, and that explains the uproar. However, that does not automatically mean everyone has to agree it is offensive.
    Change never comes that way.

And, actually (because someone said it), white people DO experience racism too. On such a grand scale? Gosh no, but that doesn't make it ok.

I do not see that this girl was "doing blackface". She was dressing up as someone she admires. If she was "doing blackface" she would be acting like and uneducated hick- as they did in olden days.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (23-02-2016),kim85  (23-02-2016),Theboys&me  (23-02-2016),Wheaty  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    I really dislike people pulling the "you are not educated on this" card when someone offers a VALID opinion on something like this.

Yes there is a historical background to this, and that explains the uproar. However, that does not automatically mean everyone has to agree it is offensive.

And, actually (because someone said it), white people DO experience racism too. On such a grand scale? Gosh no, but that doesn't make it ok.

I do not see that this girl was "doing blackface". She was dressing up as someone she admires. If she was "doing blackface" she would be acting like and uneducated hick- as they did in olden days.
    Blackface doesn't have a set criteria. You paint your face black...you are doing black face, end of. Intention is irrelevant, it's the act itself. You don't need to have the intention of being racist to be racist. You can be racist and unaware of it (and yes it does have to do with a lack of education).

Also, racism against white people is not a thing because for racism to work there has to be prejudice + power. When there is no power, it's just prejudice, or discrimination. For racism to be a thing it has to be systemic, not just "I hate you because you're white".

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (23-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (23-02-2016),TheGooch  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    There is a point to reading and educating oneself on these issues though. If you honestly don't understand why doing certain things cause offence then how else are you supposed to learn?

As for intent I just can't agree. It's blaming the victim. Sorry you were offended but I didn't mean to offend so therefore you can't be.

Do I think what she did was racist? Probably not. I think she was stupid and yes uneducated on this subject and will never do it again.

But blackface is a form of racism. It's not common in Australia (hence why most don't get it) but it is extremely sensitive in America so I understand why people here may not get it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post

You're wrong, racism does just happen. That's where modern acceptance/indifference to black face stems from, its called "systemic racism" and precisely what makes black face offensive regardless of intent. And I reckon facts from an educated understanding of an issue trumps an opinion. I really dislike people pulling the "I'm entitled to my opinion" cos it's not valid if it's just an opinion.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I am posting on the run but it harks back to the days of the black and white minstrels and how white people "entertained" other white people by painting their faces black

I would google the question if you want to know more. Black Americans find it deeply offensive. Like when Chris Hemsworth recently dressed in the stereo type of a native Indian.

These things are deeply offensive and just shouldn't be done.
    This. It's not so much a thing in Australia but def is in America. I agree just shouldn't be done, poor taste.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast