+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 81
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,368
    Thanks
    498
    Thanked
    1,479
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's offensive because of the history and context.

    IMO (I know, not that I deserve an opinion as a privileged white person) dressing up as a generic "black person" is different (and much worse, as it's reducing a whole lot of people to a stereotype) to dressing up as a specific person, as in the OP.
    Like if it was "Dress Up As Your Hero Day!" and you wanted to go as Neil Degrasse Tyson because he rocks, it "should" be fine to paint your skin to look like him. But it's still not, because of the history of 'blackface' and the hundreds of years of systemic racism. Hopefully that changes one day, but it'll be many many generations away yet.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

    BettyW  (23-02-2016)

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Hobart, Tasmania
    Posts
    5,946
    Thanks
    1,973
    Thanked
    2,080
    Reviews
    16
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just on the 'why isn't it racist if people make their face white' idea, the reason why it's not racist, is because white skin has long been seen as the superior, being white means you have never been subjected to racism, no one has likened you to an animal in derogatory ways, for having white skin. White skin is best.

    That's why it's not racist.

    As for why 'blackface' is, it is steeped in immensely racist historical contexts. If was a way for white people to mock African Americans. It is something that doesn't have that historical context in Australia (and The Netherlands, they use blackface for Zwarte Piet, but it's a different context over there). But just because someone doesn't carry the same meaning pr context in Australia, doesn't mean that it is any less racist and offensive. If you want to dress up as Kanye, there are a million ways to do it that don't involve blackface.

    Ultimately, this was a stupid, senseless act, and whilst it was not done with any ill intent, the meaning was still there.

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

    babyla  (23-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (23-02-2016),TheGooch  (23-02-2016)

  5. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,108
    Thanks
    227
    Thanked
    170
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I'm gonna be blunt. You don't get it and you don't think it's offensive because you're not educated on this. Go and read up on the history of this and why it's offensive and racist.
    I get the history of it. I'm saying this instance of dressing as Kanye. I'm not talking about history.i know that was racist.

  6. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,864
    Thanks
    4,773
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I honestly think it's a storm in a tea cup. When you dress up you adapt your body and clothes to most closely represent the character you are dressing up as. In her case the guy she is trying to dress up is black. It's not racist to say that. He is. It's fact. So she painted her face to more closely resemble the character she was trying to portray.

    I find all the controversy over absolutely nothing tiring to be honest.
    so I guess you'd have no issue with someone dressing up as a nazi, a holocaust victim or maybe a cancer/burns victim either?

    it's offensive because you're dressing up as a marginalized/minority group/group of people who were subjugated based on race/gender/some other disability in society for the entertainment of others. it's basically saying it's ok to trivialize an entire group's struggle because it's "just entertainment".

    how would you feel if I rocked up to your family Christmas dressed up as a deceased relative and acted like a complete buffoon as "entertainment". I'm guessing it wouldn't be so funny then?

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    babyla  (23-02-2016),Elijahs Mum  (23-02-2016),Kitkats  (23-02-2016),TeaAndToast  (23-02-2016)

  8. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    572
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    582
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    As in dressing as a character. Dog, person, Spider-Man.. Whatever. You know I wasn't comparing a black person to a dog ffs.

    Double standards saying dressing as white person is OK. So saying a black person is lower and needs a pass I life is racist I get that. So saying a white person is a rich ***** or privileged in life because they are white isn't?
    My husband is black and he doesn't see the uproar either.. He gets that she was just trying to look like Kanye. I suppose if I lived as a black person in the day they were dressed up as to be mocked it may be different but no one was mocking Kanye today just dressing to look like him.. No mocking to be seen.
    lol...no it's not racist to say that white people have privilege because it's a fact. It's a fact accepted by academics. A person of color can dress up as a white person because black people do not have a history of oppressing white people that still happens to this day. It has no ill effect. White Chicks was satire (maybe misogynist...I haven't seen it in years)...black face it just plain racist and offensive. There is a different between comedy that mocks those in power (white people) and those who belong to a marginalized group (PoC).

    And okay your husband is black. I don't know why you even mentioned that since he does not speak for other black people and I have heard many many more PoC telling white people to knock it off than ones who say it's a-ok.

  9. #26
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7,878
    Thanks
    3,397
    Thanked
    5,160
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    so I guess you'd have no issue with someone dressing up as a nazi, a holocaust victim or maybe a cancer/burns victim either?

    it's offensive because you're dressing up as a marginalized/minority group/group of people who were subjugated based on race/gender/some other disability in society for the entertainment of others. it's basically saying it's ok to trivialize an entire group's struggle because it's "just entertainment".

    how would you feel if I rocked up to your family Christmas dressed up as a deceased relative and acted like a complete buffoon as "entertainment". I'm guessing it wouldn't be so funny then?
    This is such a great explanation! Thank you!!!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

    turquoisecoast  (23-02-2016)

  11. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,108
    Thanks
    227
    Thanked
    170
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't see the part where I said he spoke for all black people.. U just made that up.

    Anyways I have had my opinion about the current article on dressing as Kanye. Everyone has different ones and that's fine

  12. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    572
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    582
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    I can't see the part where I said he spoke for all black people.. U just made that up.

    Anyways I have had my opinion about the current article on dressing as Kanye. Everyone has different ones and that's fine
    Nope I didn't make anything up because I didn't say you said that. I don't know why you said that other than to try and make a point that a black person you know said they were fine with it. Which doesn't make what you say correct by any means.

    And there is a difference between a harmful opinion and harmless opinion. That's why people get irate in these arguments.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

    BettyW  (23-02-2016),TheGooch  (23-02-2016)

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    8,544
    Thanks
    1,351
    Thanked
    2,307
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    so I guess you'd have no issue with someone dressing up as a nazi, a holocaust victim or maybe a cancer/burns victim either?

    it's offensive because you're dressing up as a marginalized/minority group/group of people who were subjugated based on race/gender/some other disability in society for the entertainment of others. it's basically saying it's ok to trivialize an entire group's struggle because it's "just entertainment".

    how would you feel if I rocked up to your family Christmas dressed up as a deceased relative and acted like a complete buffoon as "entertainment". I'm guessing it wouldn't be so funny then?
    You are a very rude person. No body here was talking about a nazi, a holocaust victims, dead relatives or cancer victims. How bizarre you would even bring them up.

    I'd say the girl loves Kayne and was dressing up as someone she admires. End of.

    I have a different opinion from you. Move on. I'm not racist in the slightest but if you think so I don't really care. I think people in this thread are totally over reacting.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

    kim85  (23-02-2016)

  16. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    572
    Thanks
    164
    Thanked
    582
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    You are a very rude person. No body here was talking about a nazi, a holocaust victims, dead relatives or cancer victims. How bizarre you would even bring them up.

    I'd say the girl loves Kayne and was dressing up as someone she admires. End of.

    I have a different opinion from you. Move on. I'm not racist in the slightest but if you think so I don't really care. I think people in this thread are totally over reacting.
    You really can't see why she was making those comparisons?
    I refuse to accept that you are being that obtuse about a very valid point she was making.

    You can admire someone without mocking their race

  17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

    babyla  (23-02-2016),Kitkats  (23-02-2016),Once Upon a Time  (23-02-2016),TheGooch  (23-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (23-02-2016)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Black cohosh and tribulus
    By pixiepie in forum Conception & Fertility General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 19-05-2015, 03:32
  2. Is Sam Armytage racist?
    By JR03 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 28-04-2015, 21:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
henry and grace
Summer Cool. We are the only brand in the world to use ultrafine Merino wool to produce the finest, softest & most luxurious garments whilst keeping mum and bub cool and dry. Wear them multiple times before machine washing-hard to believe, but true.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!