+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's one of those double standard things- like most things to do with race.

BUT it does date back to when black people were not allowed to work in entertainment, so a white person would 'blacken' their face and pretend to be black- acting like an uneducated hick too.

As I said though, it is a bit of a double standard. There was a time when women were not allowed to perform on stage and men would dress up as them if a female character was needed. When that is done now, noone freaks out.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    also talking about entertainment. women were not allowed to be performers in olden times. The female roles in Shakespear's plays were played by men. just to reflect on the Black and White minstrels show, there was a lot of American negro spiritual songs, and quite a lot of music from that style. I don't know why they didn't use people who are from that race. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-02-2016),CakeyMumma  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I honestly think it's a storm in a tea cup. When you dress up you adapt your body and clothes to most closely represent the character you are dressing up as. In her case the guy she is trying to dress up is black. It's not racist to say that. He is. It's fact. So she painted her face to more closely resemble the character she was trying to portray.

I find all the controversy over absolutely nothing tiring to be honest.
    It's easy to have this mind set when it has no effect on you.
    You can dress up as a person of colour without painting your skin black/yellow/brown. You don't need to do that to look like the character you are dressing up as.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (23-02-2016),PomPoms  (23-02-2016),TheGooch  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Here's a an interesting article.
    http://www.pedestrian.tv/news/arts-a...36b3fd7ff2.htm

For the non clickers, this is the end paragraph which also explains partly why those who experience racism say it's racist and why it's not up for debate:

Here's a hot take for you: This is not something you get to have a ****ing opinion on.

If people who have experienced systemic racism for their entire lives are saying that something is racist, then it's racist. That is literally the end of the discussion.

There's not a drink strong enough to adequately deal with this ****, we swear.
    Last edited by babyla; 23-02-2016 at 11:20.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (23-02-2016),cheeeeesecake  (23-02-2016),FearlessLeader  (23-02-2016),gingermillie  (23-02-2016),hopeful1986  (23-02-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (23-02-2016),PomPoms  (23-02-2016),Sabochan  (23-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (23-02-2016),TheGooch  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    it is offensive because it's reinforcing or playing on racial stereotypes and it's essentially a caricature of someone based on race.

it's never been a thing here, moreso in the states.

but imagine if someone dressed up as an indigenous person here and started cavorting with a spear or didgeridoo with brown face make up and a loin cloth. we'd be horrified. and rightly so. it's incredibly offensive.
    They did - see my post above - so wrong.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    I agree with you op I don't see how it's offensive.. It's dressing up as something.. If you paint your face brown but with dog whiskers and nose I see the same thing. Dressing up as a dog. I see it how Asians try and whiten skin too.. Why is that not racist when it's done around the other way.. Would we feel offended if a black person painted their face white and dressed like a cheer leader or something? I wouldn't..
    Has anyone see the movie "white chicks" ? It's 2 black men painted as white girls dressing up.. There was no uproar when that came out that I recall..
    Why would there be an uproar with White Chicks? White chicks have not been parodied and had them **** taken out of them and their slavery plight, last time I recalled. I guess it's not that bad if yanno taking the **** out of one of the most revolting times in modern history is ok.

If dogs had been systemically beaten down over centuries and then we started to dress up as them for a cheap laugh then yeah my dog would be pretty upset. Really?!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (23-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op this is a pretty good article about it and why it's racist.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...029-story.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Because dressing up as a "white chick" is dressing as someone who pretty much gets a free pass in life.

Honestly google it and educate yourselves. Likening to dressing as a dog is just, well, I honestly don't know where to begin.
    As in dressing as a character. Dog, person, Spider-Man.. Whatever. You know I wasn't comparing a black person to a dog ffs.

Double standards saying dressing as white person is OK. So saying a black person is lower and needs a pass I life is racist I get that. So saying a white person is a rich ***** or privileged in life because they are white isn't?
    My husband is black and he doesn't see the uproar either.. He gets that she was just trying to look like Kanye. I suppose if I lived as a black person in the day they were dressed up as to be mocked it may be different but no one was mocking Kanye today just dressing to look like him.. No mocking to be seen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    I agree with you op I don't see how it's offensive.. It's dressing up as something.. If you paint your face brown but with dog whiskers and nose I see the same thing. Dressing up as a dog. I see it how Asians try and whiten skin too.. Why is that not racist when it's done around the other way.. Would we feel offended if a black person painted their face white and dressed like a cheer leader or something? I wouldn't..
    Has anyone see the movie "white chicks" ? It's 2 black men painted as white girls dressing up.. There was no uproar when that came out that I recall..
    I'm gonna be blunt. You don't get it and you don't think it's offensive because you're not educated on this. Go and read up on the history of this and why it's offensive and racist.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

TeaAndToast  (23-02-2016)