+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I guess at the end of the day, going by some of your logic, our son could just have my last name instead of DP's. Then he can have my maternal grandfathers name and DP's paternal grandfathers name as his middle name. That way everyone wins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why can't you have 3 middle names? Also why can you not compromise and have 1 from each?

My DS is named after DH's grandfather and also has DH's other grandfather and my grandfather as middle names...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just have 3 middle names. Or combine two of the names into one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if bub has your surname than let DP have a choice of middle name and if bub has his surname then you choose the middle name/s. That way both sides of the family are honoured

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (25-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think there's an issue with just naming after one grandparent, and honouring the others next baby. Do you need to honour all three grandparent's with one baby? You could just pull a name out of a hat and go with that one for this baby.
    You could give your baby all three names as a middle name...but that's a seriously long name to have, too! It would drive me nuts writing out 5 names on forms all the time...but that's just me.
    I don't think your want to honour your grandfather's overrules your partner's rights. Are there any similar names that you like that you could use as a first name and honour one grandparent without using their actual name? And then the other two as a middle name...or middle name, and your surname.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Mezmerised  (24-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (24-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think in this situation where you both want a name (or two), you have all 3 or one each. Your dp has just as much right in naming your baby as you. You have to consider how you would feel if your Dh was doing this to you.....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (24-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (24-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a similar issue when we were thinking of names for our little man. We ended up choosing one name from each side of the family so bub has 2 middle names and both families are acknowledged..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think you need to compromise, if you were willing to give your son two middle names before then you do one of yours and one of his, it's not really fair to honor both of your grandfathers but give your partner no say.

An example from my experience. DS has his father's surname and his middle name which was a tradition for all first born boys in his family. I'm not too keen on the middle name, I think it's boring, but it's one of those names that went with every first name we had and it was very important to FIL for us to use it so I compromised and said yes and am really grateful I did as FIL passed away a few months ago and I'm glad we were able to do that small thing for him no matter how I feel about the name.

Now we are expecting boy number two and the compromise is that since DH got to use his name for ds' middle I get to choose this baby's middle which will be my father's middle name (which I actually have the feminine version of as my middle name so it is kind of carrying on a similar tradition). DH doesn't like the name, he thinks it's odd (my dad is from Europe) but he understands it's fair since I compromised with DS1.

When it comes to names you often have to compromise and understand that you can't fully get your way as it is not solely your baby. Either do 3 names or choose one grandfather each.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post

Now we are expecting boy number two and the compromise is that since DH got to use his name for ds' middle I get to choose this baby's middle which will be my father's middle name (which I actually have the feminine version of as my middle name so it is kind of carrying on a similar tradition). DH doesn't like the name, he thinks it's odd (my dad is from Europe) but he understands it's fair since I compromised with DS1.
    Dd has the female version of my GF name and is a lovely classic. He loved the idea.

Ds due May will have my other GF name and FIL name (which is also DH name).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (24-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post
    Dd has the female version of my GF name and is a lovely classic. He loved the idea.

Ds due May will have my other GF name and FIL name (which is also DH name).
    This is a nice an option op. Use a grandparent each for this baby and then depending on sex of next you can do the same and use the feminine version/s. If this baby was a girl we were actually considering using my middle name as a first name as a tribute to my dad, DH likes the feminine version of the name and middle was always going to be the name of our daughter that we lost.