+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked
    494
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default My house is boiling hot!!

    Hey Mummas..

    Just clutching at straws here but I'm an expat so no idea about cooling houses down.

    I'm in a Victorian terrace and renting so can't install air con. We can't buy a portable air con as had grills on the window and real estate won't let us cut it. Short of moving and fans what can we do? DD's room is nearly 30 degrees some days so no chance of her sleeping in there. Naps have to be out in the pram or me driving around in the car.

    Tried a water evaporative cooler and it's rubbish.

    Help please!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    334
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked
    206
    Reviews
    0
    The only thing I could suggest is preventing it from heating up as much as possible - keeping blinds down, opening windows at night when it's cooler etc.

    Will your real estate not install air con for you? Surely if it's a matter of that or moving they may come to the party - perhaps you could offer to pay a small increase in rent if they did it? Ultimately it's going to make their property more valuable.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,057
    Thanks
    2,308
    Thanked
    1,390
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think there's much to do aside from opening all the windows and getting used to the heat Our house is 33 degrees during the day... DD naps in a nappy only with a pedestal fan pointed directly on her.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,160
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked
    3,395
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We lived in a rental once and put in air conditioning... we had to go halves with the owners.

  5. #5
    ~Marigold~'s Avatar
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,039
    Thanks
    9,662
    Thanked
    4,985
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have air con in my house, either. We've sweltered through many a summer here and have tried fans and water coolers, too, and I agree, they don't do much. At the end of last year I bought three Moretti brand industrial fans for $80 each from Bunnings. When a hot day is forecast I leave all blinds shut and put 1 fan on in the main living room 1 in the kitchen as soon as I wake up. Those fans are great, I personally need to feel the cool air blowing on me for comfort and these do just that, they are very powerful and it feels like there's a nice cool breeze blowing around the house all day. It's the next best thing to air con and honestly I haven't suffered through the heat at all this summer.

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

    HeavenBlue  (22-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-02-2016),VicPark  (22-02-2016)

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    390
    Thanks
    686
    Thanked
    239
    Reviews
    0
    Were getting to the 40s out here. Air con in loungeroom only and its a fibro house, you can feel the heat on the walls.
    Not much works, you just adapt over time

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked
    494
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I don't have air con in my house, either. We've sweltered through many a summer here and have tried fans and water coolers, too, and I agree, they don't do much. At the end of last year I bought three Moretti brand industrial fans for $80 each from Bunnings. When a hot day is forecast I leave all blinds shut and put 1 fan on in the main living room 1 in the kitchen as soon as I wake up. Those fans are great, I personally need to feel the cool air blowing on me for comfort and these do just that, they are very powerful and it feels like there's a nice cool breeze blowing around the house all day. It's the next best thing to air con and honestly I haven't suffered through the heat at all this summer.
    Fab! Thanks for the useful tip! I'll head to Bunnings tomorrow! 👍

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

    ~Marigold~  (22-02-2016)

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked
    494
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default My house is boiling hot!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsA2B View Post
    The only thing I could suggest is preventing it from heating up as much as possible - keeping blinds down, opening windows at night when it's cooler etc.

    Will your real estate not install air con for you? Surely if it's a matter of that or moving they may come to the party - perhaps you could offer to pay a small increase in rent if they did it? Ultimately it's going to make their property more valuable.
    Thank you. Unfortunately not. We tried very hard and they just won't install it. Should be mandatory in all houses in Austalia!

  11. #9
    ~Marigold~'s Avatar
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    7,039
    Thanks
    9,662
    Thanked
    4,985
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Fab! Thanks for the useful tip! I'll head to Bunnings tomorrow! 👍
    I recommend it! Best part is they are portable so just pop one in whichever room you're in. The Moretti one has 3 speed levels and even on the lowest level, you'll have your hair blowing back, lol, you won't regret it 😃

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked
    494
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Fab! Thanks for the useful tip! I'll head to Bunnings tomorrow! 👍
    Would you please be able to share a picture of the fan??


 

Similar Threads

  1. Help! How do I buy a house
    By smallpotatoes in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 21-01-2016, 14:18
  2. Getting out the house....
    By Wanting2b in forum Constipation, Toilet Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-10-2015, 17:14
  3. I really want to buy our own house
    By bigZ in forum Family Finances
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-06-2015, 20:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Babybee Prams
Save $50 in our pre-Christmas sale! All Comet's now only $500. Our bassinet & stroller set includes free shipping AUS wide, $75 free accessories, 18-months warranty & a 9 month free return policy. Check out our new designer range today!
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
The Fix Program Sydney CBD and Broadway
Pregnancy and women's health physio, pregnancy and new mum Pilates classes taught by our physios for you and bub. Pregnancy back and pelvic pain. Also, we treat postnatal and women of all ages. Incontinence, prolapse, sexual and pelvic pain.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!