+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My house is boiling hot!!

Hey Mummas..

Just clutching at straws here but I'm an expat so no idea about cooling houses down.

I'm in a Victorian terrace and renting so can't install air con. We can't buy a portable air con as had grills on the window and real estate won't let us cut it. Short of moving and fans what can we do? DD's room is nearly 30 degrees some days so no chance of her sleeping in there. Naps have to be out in the pram or me driving around in the car.

Tried a water evaporative cooler and it's rubbish.

Help please!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only thing I could suggest is preventing it from heating up as much as possible - keeping blinds down, opening windows at night when it's cooler etc.

Will your real estate not install air con for you? Surely if it's a matter of that or moving they may come to the party - perhaps you could offer to pay a small increase in rent if they did it? Ultimately it's going to make their property more valuable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think there's much to do aside from opening all the windows and getting used to the heat Our house is 33 degrees during the day... DD naps in a nappy only with a pedestal fan pointed directly on her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We lived in a rental once and put in air conditioning... we had to go halves with the owners.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have air con in my house, either. We've sweltered through many a summer here and have tried fans and water coolers, too, and I agree, they don't do much. At the end of last year I bought three Moretti brand industrial fans for $80 each from Bunnings. When a hot day is forecast I leave all blinds shut and put 1 fan on in the main living room 1 in the kitchen as soon as I wake up. Those fans are great, I personally need to feel the cool air blowing on me for comfort and these do just that, they are very powerful and it feels like there's a nice cool breeze blowing around the house all day. It's the next best thing to air con and honestly I haven't suffered through the heat at all this summer.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (22-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-02-2016),VicPark  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Were getting to the 40s out here. Air con in loungeroom only and its a fibro house, you can feel the heat on the walls.
    Not much works, you just adapt over time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    I don't have air con in my house, either. We've sweltered through many a summer here and have tried fans and water coolers, too, and I agree, they don't do much. At the end of last year I bought three Moretti brand industrial fans for $80 each from Bunnings. When a hot day is forecast I leave all blinds shut and put 1 fan on in the main living room 1 in the kitchen as soon as I wake up. Those fans are great, I personally need to feel the cool air blowing on me for comfort and these do just that, they are very powerful and it feels like there's a nice cool breeze blowing around the house all day. It's the next best thing to air con and honestly I haven't suffered through the heat at all this summer.
    Fab! Thanks for the useful tip! I'll head to Bunnings tomorrow! 👍

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default My house is boiling hot!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsA2B View Post
    The only thing I could suggest is preventing it from heating up as much as possible - keeping blinds down, opening windows at night when it's cooler etc.

Will your real estate not install air con for you? Surely if it's a matter of that or moving they may come to the party - perhaps you could offer to pay a small increase in rent if they did it? Ultimately it's going to make their property more valuable.
    Thank you. Unfortunately not. We tried very hard and they just won't install it. Should be mandatory in all houses in Austalia!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    I recommend it! Best part is they are portable so just pop one in whichever room you're in. The Moretti one has 3 speed levels and even on the lowest level, you'll have your hair blowing back, lol, you won't regret it 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Would you please be able to share a picture of the fan??