+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you round your hours up or down?

So I am just wondering if I'm the only one surprised by something that happened at work recently.

I have been temping for a company for the past 5-6 weeks and my normal hours are 9-5 with 30 mins lunch.

So I've had a fair bit going on with all sorts of appointments for my kids, but they have been understanding and accommodating.

I've worked my butt off learning the role and really trying my best to learn new things and help people out, I have made a big effort here.

Anyway, last week I had a scare with my little one where the paed who did a check up was concerned about his floppiness and suggested we get a blood test to rule out muscular dystrophy. Needless to say I was stressed.

Anyway I went into work at 9 as normal but DH decided to take DS for the blood test that morning as we just wanted answers. So I ended up having a bit of a stressed out cry at work and spoke to my manager who was fine with me leaving early.

Anyway, Friday comes along and I didn't know what to put on my time sheet, I wanted to do the right thing and left that particular day blank with a post it note saying 'not sure what to put for Wednesday as was only here for around 50 mins'

So she brought it back and says I didn't sign out so she doesn't know what time I left, so suggested I put around 30 mins. So I checked my phone as I had rung hubby shortly before I left to see if he was already on his way and that was at 9:48 so I told my manager and she says 'well that's not 50 minutes then, is it'

I was honestly quite shocked. We are literally talking about TWO MINUTES here...

I would never put more time than I worked, in fact, often I leave at 5:07 or 5:22 etc and I would round it to either 5, or 5:20.

I never thought anyone would be so weird about 2 minutes...

It literally works out to around 44 CENTS per minute...

I was so annoyed and shocked that I just said, you know what, I can't be bothered, I'll leave Wednesday blank. So I lost out on around $13 just because I was so irritated that anyone could be so picky over 2 mins...

Am I the weird one here?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am payroll officer at work and I always round to 15 min intervals. So in your case 9.48 I would have paid you to 9.45.

If I were in your position I probably would have gone with the half hour or even nothing at all. It sounds like your workplace are being very accomodating to you so I would have put nothing down for that day to show my appreciation. Of course you are entitled to the time you have worked and you should be paid for it, but this is what I would have done in the situation.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2giraffes For This Useful Post:

Mod-Zeddie  (22-02-2016),SAgirl  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, i always round down on my flex sheet. Also, if they are allowing you flexibility to attend appointments and so on i would be even more inclined to round down a few minutes. From your post, it sounds like you round down anyway?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by 2giraffes View Post
    I am payroll officer at work and I always round to 15 min intervals. So in your case 9.48 I would have paid you to 9.45.

If I were in your position I probably would have gone with the half hour or even nothing at all. It sounds like your workplace are being very accomodating to you so I would have put nothing down for that day to show my appreciation. Of course you are entitled to the time you have worked and you should be paid for it, but this is what I would have done in the situation.
    Yes I did put nothing down.

They have been accommodating yes and I do appreciate it, however, I have also worked my butt off for them when even their normal staff chat all day... And I have reciprocated by working back until 6 on a few occasions when they needed me or coming in at 8.... So whilst I understand your point, I have also given back.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I'm sorry you've had such a worrying time, but to be honest I wouldn't have put in a time sheet for that day at all. I can imagine that if I were in that situation I wouldn't have actually been doing much work in that 50 minutes.
    It's hard to tell what sort of impact your leaving early would have had not knowing what sort of work you do, but yeah if I had only been for less than one (distracted) hour and someone then had to replace me for the majority of my shift I wouldn't have put it on my time sheet.
    I really don't mean to be rude at all because it sounds like you had a horrible day, but i think you're expecting a bit much to be paid for that hour.
    Last edited by FearlessLeader; 22-02-2016 at 19:24.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

2giraffes  (22-02-2016),SAgirl  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Yes I did put nothing down.

They have been accommodating yes and I do appreciate it, however, I have also worked my butt off for them when even their normal staff chat all day... And I have reciprocated by working back until 6 on a few occasions when they needed me or coming in at 8.... So whilst I understand your point, I have also given back.
    Unfortunately this is the 'normal' in many workplaces. I regularly work between 15-30 mins every day that is unpaid. Many work more.

In regards to your timesheet. Always round down.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you were my staff member I would have paid you for the hour. It's give and take and it doesn't seem to me like you're a "taker" in your job.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

amyd  (22-02-2016),CakeyMumma  (22-02-2016),just her chameleon  (22-02-2016),SAgirl  (22-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (22-02-2016),VicPark  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    I'm sorry you've had such a worrying time, but to be honest I wouldn't have put in a time sheet for that day at all. I can imagine that if I were in that situation I wouldn't have actually been doing much work in that 50 minutes.
    It's hard to tell what sort of impact your leaving early would have had not knowing what sort of work you do, but yeah if I had only been for less than one (distracted) hour and someone then had to replace me for the majority of my shift I wouldn't have put it on my time sheet.
    I really don't mean to be rude at all because it sounds like you had a horrible day, but i think you're expecting a bit much to be paid for that hour.
    Yeah i get what you're saying, and I didn't put anything down, and that's why I asked first what to put down as I did answer calls and I also did some paperwork etc, but of course I wasn't there for longer than 50 mins.

But I goes my main question, was regardless of me only being there a short time, do other people find 2 mins a big deal? I just thought it seems a bit petty... If it were to be that way all the time? Especially as I usually work over my set hours and often work a few minutes later or come in a little earlier than 9, but I always just put for eg. 9-5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I round down to the closest 5 mins.

I'm just guessing here - so I could be wrong. Perhaps your manager is cranky not over 2 minutes but rather because there was a bit of back and forth (too much?) needed to finalise your time sheet.

I always pick my staff up if they rip themselves off (eg put down they were here for 30 mins instead of 45). First if all they are ripping themselves off. Secondly it's not accurate - who knows when the at may come back to bite you as a supervisor.

I would like it if a staff member checked when they were here and submitted an accurate timesheet from the get go. That being said things happen and I really don't baulk if one correction is needed. If a second correction is needed I might get the ****s though. So when you said it was 50 mins and then revealed it was 48 I probably would have been thinking to myself "just put the right time on the timesheet and give it to me." I probably wouldn't have minded if you put 50 mins down - it's more the back and forth I would have been annoyed with.

Hope that makes sense.

How is your little man now? That would have been super Scarey as a parent.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-02-2016),SAgirl  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I disagree with the majority of posters here. You got ready for work, you travelled in, you did say 45 minutes worth of work AND you have worked back on occasion for them. If you are being paid a wage (ie paid specifically for the hours you do) as opposed to a salary (where you are paid by per annum amount and you work regular hours but don't actually count the hours and minutes) then hell yes you should be paid for the actual time that you do.
    What specifically do you mean by them being 'accomodating'? Is it that they let you take sick leave/carers leave?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

SAgirl  (22-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (22-02-2016)