+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely. It took me years to "forgive" myself for resorting to bottle feeding with my two children. I was definitely made to feel like a monster by one nurse in the hospital after I told her I would be calling in DH to bring in some bottles and formula as I struggled to breast feed no matter how determined I was - after seeing a lactation consultant in the hospital I found out that due to a physical condition I'd need to use nipple shields with every feed and by that time I was black, blue and bleeding from trying so hard to BF. The first nurse had tried to express some colostrum and because I'd had DD attached (thinking she was feeding properly) for hours incorrectly I was blistered and the nurse continued to physically express me using her fingers and a syringe through my tears, I was in agony. Even when I mentioned using a bottle she snapped "make up your mind"! After a 40+ hour long labour which ended in an assisted induction I didn't even have the energy to defend myself, instead I just cried and told her to back off. Thinking back on it makes me so upset to this day.
    My decision to bottle feed was the best thing I could have done and I'd do it again with future babies without a second thought.
    It's such a shame that there's still such stigma and judgment regarding bottle feeding, it's total ignorance.
    Bottle feeding is absolutely fine!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 22-02-2016 at 17:39.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet85 View Post
    I was bottle fed and was fine! Again, I can see the plus in both, but I was amazed at the pressure! Even the SIDS website says you should breast feed!
    I think there is way too much pressure to bf. Whatever works for you and your family i think

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet85 View Post
    Fortunately we've had a lot of success with bottle feeding. My mum was fascinated to see bubs takes to his bottle regardless of the size teat and so on. He makes the cutest noises drinking and clearly loves his bottle!
    This is beautiful.

I am hoping I am not doing the wrong thing by crashing (I BF) but I always always always support the mothers choice when it comes to feeding her baby.

Bottlefeeding does not mean yiu do not bond. Or you are hurting your child or the other absolute rubbish that is spouted by everyone.

You are feeding, loving and bonding with your baby. And it angers me so much when people do not support you.

Carry on mums! Put your head up high, whip out that bottle and feed your child (and give anyone who gives you the side eye the stink eye back...)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (23-02-2016),Marchbundle  (22-02-2016),nh2489  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was lucky enough to have the complete opposite experience. My LO is 11 weeks. I breastfed for the first three days, then my LO needed formula top ups as she was losing too much weight. The midwives were nothing but supportive. They provided the single use bottles and the ready made formula to use. When I got upset that breastfeeding wasn't working for us my midwife told me not to worry about it and that babies are fed one way or another.
    Even when I had a follow up appointment for LO at the hospital and it just happened that their lactation consultant was the midwife who saw us, she was happy I was doing the right thing for my family.
    Anyway long story short I mix fed for the first two months, but now we are enjoying formula exclusively.

Fed is best

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 3 were all bottle fed !

My first I put on the bottle on day 2 in hospital and the midwives wanted nothing to do with me ... I felt so alone !

My other 2 I decided to bottle feed from when I found out I was pregnant .. the midwives wrote it on my yellow card and everything was fine

Do what you need to do and be proud of it !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first I tried to breast feed for two weeks. I had two semi detached nipples which all of the midwives and doc said they'd never seen anything like it. Then got mastitis. I then changed to bottle feed and never looked back. Ds was not hungry anymore. I went straight to bottle for next two. Will do same with next one. My kids are healthy, very clever and never had problems going to any family member. Dh, his brothers, my two brothers and I, and now my first 3 all bottle fed. I still don't see how breastfeeding is best. Cheaper yes, but not best.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to believa For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest as long as bubs has a full tummy, I think that is the most important thing. Yeah breastfeeding provides colostrum and antibodies, and that's the first couple of days anyway. I can't stand people who push breastfeeding in your face. People shouldn't care about that, care about whether the baby is thriving and growing, regardless of breastfeeding or formula. It is also a pity many midwives push it so hard as well. I was a first time mum who felt the pressure. I felt bad that I had to bottlefeed with DD1. It wasn't until I took her to the hospital for a check up at two weeks, and the dr said to me that it's ok to formula feed. Hearing it from him, made me feel so better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub was put on formula pretty much an hour after she was born, due to low blood sugar (and me not being able to breastfeed properly). We tried for a few days, but she pretty much refused my breasts, preferring the bottle! It's worked for us, as it means I've been able to return to work at 4 months (THAT I didn't want to do, but thats a whole different story) and she has happily taken bottles the whole time.
    I felt guilty for so long, but there's nothing wrong with her, and she is normally quite a happy bubby!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Its sad to hear of midwives treating women badly. If they want to give you 'help and support', then help and support they should,
    not pressure and belittle the women.
    I would take your own formula in to hospital next time - a lot of hospitals have rules about providing formula to babies. (It's also why the tins of formula state that 'breast is best' & why you never see baby formulas advertised on tv, only toddler formulas) - they arent allowed to use marketing tactics to try to convince you not to breastfeed in order to sell more of their product. Your decision to breast or bottle feed is your own, &no one should make you feel badly about that choice. Well done all mummas for feeding your baby whichever way you choose

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same with gothicbeeza. Bub had to be on formula straight away due to low blood sugar and my milk hadn't come in. I passed out after birth due to losing a lot of blood. DS has a lot of issues. With silent reflux, he still is a fussy eater. We didn't know the symptoms and couldn't figure out why he was drinking milk like no tomorrow. We thought I was starving him. I wasn't joking when we were pouring down 120ml for a 2w old!!! Only to find out that he has silent reflux which he confuses hunger with reflux. My supply would never catch up at the level. At 7w, we finally got his reflux under control. DS is colic and didn't stop crying day and night. The only way to calm him was to hold him. I couldn't eat and sleep. Let's alone pumping. That mark the end of me breastfeeding. I felt really sad for a very long time. I felt that I didn't provide DS the best. When we were at the CHN meeting, the nurse was very pushy that I should be breastfeeding rather than mixed feeding.

My hospital midwives were very supportive of my decision either way. The social pressure comes from talking to other moms out there and random women. I don't have any friend who is formula feeding. I always feel guilty when talking to them although they are very understanding. Just last week, the new babysitter questioned me why I gave up breastfeeding given than DS has so many issues with feeding. She judged. I don't feel the need of explaining myself to a random woman everytime this issue comes up! No matter what I say, they are going to judge. Obviously, we won't use the same babysitter again -- she has too many opinions over the one week period.

I don't have any regret to go full formula feeding. DH is very supportive given that DS has so many issues, formula feeding is the only way we can control his intake and timing. It allows me returning to work without having to worry about pumping. DH can share the carer duty. I have to travel every once in a while and formula feeding gives me the flexibility. I did think about how to do this travel and breastfeeding thing at the beginning. Now I don't have to worry about it anymore.

We still have problem with DS feeding but I don't think breastfeeding will change anything. DS has just been diagnosed with tongue tied. This explains so much about poor latch etc problem while breastfeeding. I just met a lousy paed who pushed us away many times.