+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Yes that does sound like a lot of crap!

Mornings are the most important time for learning especially in the early years. 30 minute every day is 2.5 hours a week, 20.5 hours a term which is about 62 hours a year which is about 12 full days of learning. So that ends up being over 2 weeks. I think that's a pretty big dent of learning taken.
    Yes!

And I'm not even a teacher and I can see that!!!!

Grrrrrrr. Don't want to give my kid or myself a bad rap by questioning their methods but honestly I'm sooooo over it and it's obvious that the kindy/year 1 & 2 kids are too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Classrooms open at 8:30 . Parents can stay until 8:50 and help settle kids into quiet activities, reading , drawing , puzzles. 8:50 am school starts and they are straight into learning .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Supervision from 7:50am. Bell goes at 8:25am. Straight into classrooms to begin the day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That school is wasting half the morning!

Supervision starts at 8am. Bell to start the day goes at 8.30, though my daughters' teacher usually has the door open by 8.25.

If you arrive after 8.30, you have to get a late pass from the office as the roll is marked at 8.30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little guy goes to a public school and supervision in the year starts at 8.30, 8.50 the music plays which means go to your classroom, put away bag and communication satchels, find your name on the board then go to your table for reading, we have a community reading project so there are adults reading to children till about 9.15. The bell goes at 9 and if you get to school after the bell you have to get a late pass. After community reading they start their lessons.
    School assembly is on Monday afternoons and as its a big school preps-2s go one week and 3-6s go the other.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When mine were at school...

Bell rang at 8:50, gave kids a warning to go to the toilet if needed, get to class, get bags on hooks, homework out etc
    9am bell rang again and kids had to be in class..
    Class would start...teacher collecting any excursion notices etc.
    Fridays they had assembly from 9am

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe I read the OP wrong, but it seems most days it's only 10 minutes between bell time and classroom time? What's wrong with that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Maybe I read the OP wrong, but it seems most days it's only 10 minutes between bell time and classroom time? What's wrong with that?
    No it's 10 minutes between 9am and assembly ending - some days and some days longer. Factor in leaving, putting bags away, taking the roll and getting into any kind of learning activity and you're looking at another 10-15 minutes. Students at schools I've been at generally are "ready to learn" when the bell goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    No it's 10 minutes between 9am and assembly ending - some days and some days longer. Factor in leaving, putting bags away, taking the roll and getting into any kind of learning activity and you're looking at another 10-15 minutes. Students at schools I've been at generally are "ready to learn" when the bell goes.
    The kids aren't getting into class before 915-920 on the majority of mornings.

Plus it's a big school, so the walk with 30-odd kids in ds's year 1 class, kids walking slowly, across the entire playground, up the stairs, getting all of their study out of their bags, it's definitely 920.

Then factoring in what goes on inside, putting stuff on your table, and then greetings with the teacher, it's 925.

And then crunch & sip is at 10am.

It just seems like such a long process. Shockingly slow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gates open at 8:30 - students put their bags, water bottles, pack, communication book etc at the correct places (just outside class rooms) and go and play in the play ground
    First bell at 8:45 - students line up in front of the class rooms. Class teachers great students. R/1 - students have play based set up inside the class room, some drawing, lego, cars, etc. Parents can stay and students play. For year 2-7, straight into reading
    Second bell at 8:50 (or 8:55) - normal work day start, gates close
    For R/1 classes, some times they might not able to start proper learning (if there is a thing like that) around 9:05 or so depending on what type of play based activities they are doing in the morning.