+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did a bottle at night for my babies,but I gave expressed breast milk instead of formula. My reasons for giving it were that my milk was low in the evenings, so bubs wanted to feed constantly but was never satisfied/ wouldnt settle. I used EBM because I found formula upset my breastfed bubbas tummies & made the evenings worse, &for me personally, formula did affect my supply,whereas my own EBM didnt seem to (because it was still milk taken from me,I guess!) I always expressed during the middle of the day sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I exclusively breastfeed so my ten cents worth is anecdotal.. My friend breastfeeds but offers a bottle straight after her 10pm feed to 'top up' rather than replace. Buys her 5 hours.. God knows if it works for everyone tho!

I feel your pain. On average I have 2hr stretches with my nearly 8mth old DD... It's hard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I did a bottle at night for my babies,but I gave expressed breast milk instead of formula. My reasons for giving it were that my milk was low in the evenings, so bubs wanted to feed constantly but was never satisfied/ wouldnt settle. I used EBM because I found formula upset my breastfed bubbas tummies & made the evenings worse, &for me personally, formula did affect my supply,whereas my own EBM didnt seem to (because it was still milk taken from me,I guess!) I always expressed during the middle of the day sleep.
    This is what I have lost started doing and it's working great! Also because my bub is super tired at bed and would often just have a two minute feed then fall asleep, whereas with the bottle he seems to still drink while he's nodding off. Easier I guess and not as sleep inducing as the boob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm no expert (have my fair share of sleep issues with almost 8 month old DD) but can you work on stopping feeding to sleep as that may be part of the issue. I'd be surprised if a switch to formula helped. From everything I've read if bub falls asleep feeding when they start to wake between sleep cycles and they don't have boob in their mouth they get upset and call for it. Easier said than done but I don't think it's breastfeeding that's the issue per se more so the BF til bub is asleep.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-02-2016),nh2489  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GemJane View Post
    This is what I have lost started doing and it's working great! Also because my bub is super tired at bed and would often just have a two minute feed then fall asleep, whereas with the bottle he seems to still drink while he's nodding off. Easier I guess and not as sleep inducing as the boob.
    Less work to get milk out. If it works - keep going!

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my experience with 2 babies that both had similar issues, ie fed to sleep and woke numerous times a night it was mainly due to feeding being a sleep association, ie the comfort of feeding puts them to sleep rather than waking due to hunger. Once I broke that association with ds1 the problem was completely resolved within a few days, ds2 has been more challenging but now he does at least go to sleep at night and for naps without feeding even if during the night wakings boob is the only option for going back to sleep. For ds1 I always gave him a bottle at night mainly so I could have a break and DH would stay up later but it made no difference at all to the night wakings. I truly believe in a lot of cases the wakings are due to normal sleep patterns and it's the resettling that is the problem for the babies so feeding formula at bed is unlikely to affect his waking. Some people think it helps but I don't think it's an easy answer for most babies. I'm sorry to hear you're exhausted, it's sucks big time being up most of the night and any glimmer of hope that you can find something that will change that is always much wanted! Good luck things improve for you soon. Right I'm off to see to my 8 month old who's just woken up. And so the night starts!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Thinking about bottle feeding for evening feed

A bottle (formula or EBM) may or may not help depending on the reasons why bub is waking in the first place. At 8.5 months I would look at other options before focusing on introducing a night bottle. Apologies if you have already looked into other options.

How is bubs solids intake? Perhaps More solids (3x day)/introducing protein and carbs could help.

How is bub put to sleep? Perhaps a change of routine could help. Eg feeding to sleep can be an association that increases the chances of night waking. If the sleep environment if different from when bub went to sleep as to when bub experiences a sleep cycle change over (eg no boob there) then may may wake, think "what the where is my XYZ" and crack it.
    Last edited by VicPark; 23-02-2016 at 04:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had terrible trouble at this age, he was up every hr. That's exclusive BF, he was refusing top ups or formula mostly. He used to have them a lot, and the waking did start as more BF started.....he still BF all the time at 19 mths but is better with 2nd wake up usually on dawn now. I haven't forced issue, other than occasionally cutting him off for half hour and just cuddling when he's been sucking mad and made me sore, it has seemed to help a bit as he now responds better to being told he's had enough and will usually roll over and let me spoon him until he goes to sleep...not always....we co sleep, I stopped sleeping with Dh as well about 9mth old as he would keep me awake snoring after I finally got ds to sleep.