+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thinking about bottle feeding for evening feed

Hi guys, I am currently full time breastfeeding my 8.5 month old. I feed him to sleep on his bedtime feed, and he then continues to wake up constantly throughout the rest of the evening and night. (Especially before I come to bed because we part time co sleep because he won't even stay in the cot longer than 15 mins at night, and I'm just too tired to force the issue so end up just bringing him to bed) sometimes he will only wake twice in the night but quite often almost every hour! I am exhausted as its been going on for months.

I am considering giving him a bottle of formula for the evening feed. I just want some advice on whether this is a good idea or not. I want to try to get him sleeping through the night, or at least improve it. Will this help? Or could this affect my supply? Do you think it may cause him to refuse the breast and just want the bottle? As breastfeeding is important to me and I want to keep it up, but I'm just so exhausted.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing as I could've written your post word for word Am interested in hearing others advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Why not just give him formula in a sippy cup rather than a bottle? Imo tho the formula won't make a difference. My eldest went thru a crappy sleeping phase 6-9mths but improved significant after with no input from me.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Look you can try but my DD2 was the worst sleeper and she was fully formula fed. I think it's a myth. Go ahead but just go in with low expectations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Why not just give him formula in a sippy cup rather than a bottle? Imo tho the formula won't make a difference. My eldest went thru a crappy sleeping phase 6-9mths but improved significant after with no input from me.
    Good idea with the cup.

Formula helping sleep is hit and miss for a lot of people.

I was thinking that someone else can do the feed in place of you and do resettles if possible for the first few hours of the night to give you a break.

Bubs do go through horrible sleep at that stage. If bub is feeding lots through the night it could be a growth spurt thrown in as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In my experience, introducing an evening formula feed did nothing to ease the constant want for breastfeeds at night, especially as it was a comfort thing.

However, it may help if you have someone else (dad?) that can do that feed, so you get a little break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 8.5 months I wouldn't think introducing formula would affect your supply, I'm guessing that bub has solids now anyway? I'm with the others that formula is unlikely to do much to bub's sleeping habits. My DD is mixed fed and a terrible sleeper and I've noticed no change at all in the nights where she has had boob vs. bottle. In fact she ate almost half a roast chicken for dinner last night and still woke 5-6 times.

As others have said if your DH can give bub the formula it will be a nice break for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with everyone else who said that formula won't help your baby sleep longer.
    I know how you feel, my bub was a terrible sleeper and woke several times a night up until he was almost a year old. Then he started refusing to go to sleep at all He's 2.5 now and sleeps through maybe half the time. Other nights he ends up in our bed halfway through the night, but it's still much better than when he was up every hour.

Hang in there, it gets better. Nothing we did made any difference, for us it was just a matter of waiting for him to learn to sleep better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Every baby is different. Some babies do sleep better with a bottle of formula before bed, others don't.

Why not try it and see how you go. Once bub is asleep, pump to keep your supply up.

I agree with rose with regard to trying a sippy cup or straw cup though as bottles aren't good for a baby's teeth so they should stop using them around 12 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah my baby wouldn't have a bar of formula and even when I managed to get some into her as a dream feed, it didn't make a difference