+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Part-time working days advice

Hi all
    At the moment I work 3 days a week (teaching secondary).
    DS1 is in grade 1 and DS2 is in Kinder
    The 2 days I have off are to obviously spend with DS2 and to do shopping, cleaning etc

Next year DS2 will be in prep, so both kids will be in school.
    So I am considering increasing my working days to 4 days. Therefore I would only be home 1 day a week (on my own, no kids anyway).

In regards to before school care and after school care, I can use the OSH club program or my mum helps with pick ups 2 days.

So what do you think? Should I just remain home 2 days per week, or 1 is enough?

(Financially we are ok)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it were me and finances were ok, I'd stick to your 3 days. I find the first year of school is tiring and new and great for the kids if mum is involved and can go and watch them at school activities and can pick them up straight from school a few arvos a week without using after school care etc if possible.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bel2466 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (09-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it's a hard one for anyone else to answer.
    I'm in a similar boat, I work 3 days with one child at school and one home with me on my days off.
    Next year DD will be going into 4 year old kinder, and I will be moving up to 4 days at work. DD is very energetic and easy going and will cope with 4 days quite easily. The reason I'll be upping my days is that I'm ready to work more too- I will have much greater scope to do things that I currently don't have time for at work.
    But the biggest factor for me in this decision is that DP and I are able to stagger our hours and he works 10-5.30 and I work 8-3 so there is always someone for pick up and drop off and we haven't had to use out of school hours care. If we both had to work normal hours I would stick to 3 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I will have 2 in school next year and have had to go back full time.

I like my job but I don't like full time. 3 days would be perfect. Personally, I think 4 is too much, I find it hard now to spend time with everyone and there's only 1 at school.

I think it probably depends on how well you think your kids will cope as well, but for me, 3 days would satisfy everyone I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're financially ok I'd stay home as you are at the moment. Having to pay OSH care, and also tax could wipe out any extra pay so it may not be worth it anyways.