+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Haha, cool.

You'll also find foreign investment is largely responsible for property booms, not your average Joe mum and dad investor who is preparing for their retirement and their kids' futures.

I also don't like the attitude that only the super wealthy benefit from these tax rules. Yes the percentages of $80k a year individuals are overstated in the media and by some property investment experts, however there is still a lot of typical Aussies who are trying to provide a bright future for their kids and shouldn't be penalised when there are other ways to solve the problem NG apparently creates.
    We have a friend who is a mortgage broker. She is from overseas and her clientele is 99% of her own nationality.

The bank that she mostly uses and promotes is an overseas bank, and they give 0% interest for citizens who buy property in Australia (not sure for how many years it stays at no interest rate though). So I do are with the above statement.

From my perspective, I think this is a large part of the problem in our capital cities.

I'm not super-educated on real estate or finance but I don't see the abolition of neg gearing bringing down prices at all. Banks and whoever else will ensure that prices stay the same.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-02-2016),hopeful1986  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    We have a friend who is a mortgage broker. She is from overseas and her clientele is 99% of her own nationality.

The bank that she mostly uses and promotes is an overseas bank, and they give 0% interest for citizens who buy property in Australia (not sure for how many years it stays at no interest rate though). So I do are with the above statement.

From my perspective, I think this is a large part of the problem in our capital cities.

I'm not super-educated on real estate or finance but I don't see the abolition of neg gearing bringing down prices at all. Banks and whoever else will ensure that prices stay the same.
    It was on the news a month or so ago about overseas property investors causing the property booms, actually. Interesting how they were discussing that and have now moved onto this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Investors won't be able to claim any of those things in your first paragraph if there's no negative gearing. Negative gearing takes into account the total 'loss' not just the difference between rent and mortgage repayments.
    Slightly incorrect statement here but I think that's because the original quote you're referring to was misinterpreted.

"Negative gearing" from a tax perspective, basically means offsetting your rental loss against your other assessable income. Eg if you are earning rent of $20,000 a year, have interest repayments of $18,000, council rates, property management fees, repairs and maintenance and depreciation of another $5000, your total rental expenses are $23,000 and you have therefore made a rental loss of $3000. Your assessable income from salary, business profit, dividends etc will then be reduced by $3000.

Getting rid of "negative gearing" means that you won't be able to reduce your income by that $3000. Although supposedly you could still claim it against another positively geared investment or carry the loss forward.

In other words, you can still claim all your rental expenses up until the point that you break even.

I actually don't think getting rid of negative gearing will have much of a negative cash effect on most investors, but the perceived awfulness of it will freak a lot of people out into making rash decisions.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (22-02-2016),BH-KatiesMum  (24-02-2016),smallpotatoes  (22-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Negative Gearing - Politics talk

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy68 View Post
    My understanding is that labor have put negative gearing and capital gains tax on the table to demonstrate where they would make savings if they get in. This is forcing the coalition's hand at making a policy to tackle these things as well.
    The long and the short of it is government is looking to make savings and it's going to hurt no matter where the savings end up coming from
    There's always going to be winners and losers in every budget unfortunately. If only we followed the Nordic model - twice the amount of government spending (as a % of GDP) that Australia has, but people pay over 50% tax... And they are extremely happy!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Marshy68  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I am completely against negative gearing.

Effectively tax on work is subsiding capital gain.
    If it were to encourage new dwellings id be all for it but it doesn't.

If you want to invest in property, great! Not sure why you should get a discount/rebate for it at the expense of non-investors.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I am completely against negative gearing.

Effectively tax on work is subsiding capital gain.
    If it were to encourage new dwellings id be all for it but it doesn't.

If you want to invest in property, great! Not sure why you should get a discount/rebate for it at the expense of non-investors.
    So many people say this and that's meant to be an understandable position, but yet as soon as someone says that about people on welfare they're criticised.

I don't believe either is a bad thing. I agree with welfare and NG and CGT, but the it's not fair on non-investors argument isn't overly valid IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Negative Gearing - Politics talk

I assume people are talking about Chinese investors, but they only account for 2% of the residential property investments in Australia.

It's unfair to blame them for the ridiculous house prices here.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-0...r-cent/6772460

To buy and sell a property and renovate or rebuild just wouldn't be feasible for a family in Sydney unless you had loads of money. That's not what I imagined or in my plan when we invest in property.

Here is one of Sydney's cheapest suburbs. A 3 bedroom old housing commission house in an area full of housing commission and it costs $465k.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1456130257.588931.jpg

And to buy land is almost $500k, and that is probably the cheapest land you can buy in Sydney.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1456130559.125356.jpg
    Last edited by BigRedV; 22-02-2016 at 18:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    So many people say this and that's meant to be an understandable position, but yet as soon as someone says that about people on welfare they're criticised.

I don't believe either is a bad thing. I agree with welfare and NG and CGT, but the it's not fair on non-investors argument isn't overly valid IMO.
    This is where we see others' views.

See, I would rather live in a country that was equitable and helped the people who were struggling. For many, even just buying their own home to live in is a pipe dream.

I can only speak from my own experience but Sydney is so expensive that it's getting to the point where key workers like ambos, nurses, police and teachers can't afford to live in the area they work. That's not good enough.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-02-2016),Marshy68  (22-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    This is where we see others' views.

See, I would rather live in a country that was equitable and helped the people who were struggling. For many, even just buying their own home to live in is a pipe dream.

I can only speak from my own experience but Sydney is so expensive that it's getting to the point where key workers like ambos, nurses, police and teachers can't afford to live in the area they work. That's not good enough.
    I agree. I do not live in Sydney so thankfully I was able to purchase a home that is somewhat reasonably priced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't think you can compare welfare with neg gearing though. A single mum getting payments needs to pay rent and buy food to survive. Getting money knocked off your taxable income for a household who own 2+ properties I don't consider a necessity.

I'm not sure I blame foreign investment. The financial articles I read blame the first home buyers but mainly investors with neg gearing. It's certainly not the *only* reason why the average joe struggles to ever buy. Yes food and general living is rising and not in line with wage increases. But when you are paying $600 a week in rent that is a HUGE portion of low income, even a lower-middle income family. The $20 a week increase in petrol or meat pales in comparison to the explosion in rental prices in the last 5+years.