+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think it's inevitable it will be modified or go altogether. I don't think there's much sympathy for people who benefit from it within the community at these times.

And as for the mining tax I think that ship has sailed. The companies are laying people off over here. Any tax would be extremely unpopular now as it will result in even more sackings and redundancies.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (22-02-2016),Marshy68  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My understanding is that labor have put negative gearing and capital gains tax on the table to demonstrate where they would make savings if they get in. This is forcing the coalition's hand at making a policy to tackle these things as well.
    The long and the short of it is government is looking to make savings and it's going to hurt no matter where the savings end up coming from

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Negative Gearing - Politics talk

I don't understand the complaint really. Investors will still claim depreciation, their interest rates, property management costs, repairs, insurance....the list goes on.

It's just saying the tax payer won't prop up the gap between your mortgage payments and rent returned, and nor should they. It's up to investors to invest in property that is neutrally or positively geared if they can't afford the investment without the additional tax breaks.

No one is saying you can't buy investment property, you will just wear the costs for it.
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 22-02-2016 at 13:23.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-02-2016),delirium  (22-02-2016),Marshy68  (22-02-2016),Papillon  (08-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think it's inevitable it will be modified or go altogether. I don't think there's much sympathy for people who benefit from it within the community at these times.

And as for the mining tax I think that ship has sailed. The companies are laying people off over here. Any tax would be extremely unpopular now as it will result in even more sackings and redundancies.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I don't understand the complaint really. Investors will still claim depreciation, their interest rates, property management costs, repairs, insurance....the list goes on.

It's just saying the tax payer won't prop up the gap between your mortgage payments and rent returned, and nor should they. It's up to investors to invest in property that is neutrally or positively geared if they can't afford the investment without the additional tax breaks.

No one is saying you can't but investment property, you will just wear the costs for it.
    Thats kinda what I wanted to say.

If we tax mining/banks then that hurts investors and employees.

Lowering of house prices can help investors afford to buy a home. The mortgages are smaller. The repayments and rent can be smaller.

Maybe I am just naive but I seriously do not believe it is sustainable long term anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews

No one is saying you can't but investment property, you will just wear the costs for it.
    We all pay taxes though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    We all pay taxes though?
    Sure, but the cost to the tax system of negative gearing is 4 billion dollars per year, that in reality only benefits investors. Unlike say, schools, which benefit the whole community in the form of education.

I pay tax too, but that doesn't mean I expect the other 19 million Australians who don't have property investments to subsidise mine.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-02-2016),delirium  (22-02-2016),Marshy68  (22-02-2016),Nemmi1987  (22-02-2016),Sonja  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

No one is saying you can't buy investment property, you will just wear the costs for it.
    Investors won't be able to claim any of those things in your first paragraph if there's no negative gearing. Negative gearing takes into account the total 'loss' not just the difference between rent and mortgage repayments.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

hopeful1986  (22-02-2016),NoteToSelf  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Investors won't be able to claim any of those things in your first paragraph if there's no negative gearing. Negative gearing takes into account the total 'loss' not just the difference between rent and mortgage repayments.
    I stand corrected 😊.

I still support the abolition of negative gearing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I stand corrected 😊.

I still support the abolition of negative gearing.
    Haha, cool.

I can't remember the exact figures but my first investment property, once I sold it (8 years ago) I worked out how much stamp duty and capital gains tax I paid and how much I got back each tax year from negative gearing and it worked out that I paid more in CGT and stamp duty than I ever claimed from the government.

You'll also find foreign investment is largely responsible for property booms, not your average Joe mum and dad investor who is preparing for their retirement and their kids' futures.

As I said in a previous post governments need to do more to make housing more affordable / accessible absolutely, but if you look at the long term implications for the abolishment of NG and reduction in the CGT discount, you're supposedly solving one problem (housing availability and affordability) but creating another.

I also don't like the attitude that only the super wealthy benefit from these tax rules. Yes the percentages of $80k a year individuals are overstated in the media and by some property investment experts, however there is still a lot of typical Aussies who are trying to provide a bright future for their kids and shouldn't be penalised when there are other ways to solve the problem NG apparently creates.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

hopeful1986  (22-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @A-Squared - wish I was as eloquent as you are explaining all this!
    Last edited by hopeful1986; 22-02-2016 at 13:56.