+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the government will need to start backing out of/winding back negative gearing. It has driven up property prices and is keeping younger people on the rental market for much longer because they can ill afford to save a deposit on top of paying rent. I

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-02-2016),Gentoo  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I think the government will need to start backing out of/winding back negative gearing. It has driven up property prices and is keeping younger people on the rental market for much longer because they can ill afford to save a deposit on top of paying rent. I
    I see what you're saying, but how are renters going to save for a deposit if they will have to start paying higher rents?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Interesting stat in this video about who are investors.

http://m.smh.com.au/business/the-eco...19-gmy9wp.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    If you don't over extend yourself and you're smart about what you buy, you don't lose out.
    Unless of course something drastic happens in the market where you purchased. You just have to look at WA (Kimberley, Pilbra and places south like Kalgoorlie). Prpperty is a long term investment, but people can so easily be caught in the moment (mining job with large salaries and expensive houses, then lose it all when the bubble bursts).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I see what you're saying, but how are renters going to save for a deposit if they will have to start paying higher rents?
    Whoops, I meant to quote, not thank

Your question was answered in the article that you posted

"Eslake also dismissed claims by the property industry that rents will rise if negative gearing and the capital gains tax discount are changed. If landlords were to respond to changes in negative gearing by withdrawing from the housing market that would push down the prices of properties, making them more affordable to would-be home buyers, allowing more of them to become home-owners. In turn that would reduce demand for rental properties."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-02-2016),Gentoo  (21-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ok. I do not have an investment property and we have no plans to have one in the near future. I do think changes need to be made to negative gearing though - as to what I do not know. But is negative gearing really sustainable long term? Both in regards to the government and also to investors?

Should there be more of a focus on how to have an investment property/ies with positive/neutral gearing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know what the answer is, but something needs to be done to give young people more of a chance to enter the market.

The last sentence of the article that A-Squared posted is something that investors should be asking themselves:
    "And what's more important to the army of older investors – tax breaks for themselves or more affordable housing for their young?"

11. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post

"Eslake also dismissed claims by the property industry that rents will rise if negative gearing and the capital gains tax discount are changed. If landlords were to respond to changes in negative gearing by withdrawing from the housing market that would push down the prices of properties, making them more affordable to would-be home buyers, allowing more of them to become home-owners. In turn that would reduce demand for rental properties."
    see this is what my understanding has been all along. property market cools down due to decrease in demand, property prices become more affordable. this means more renters becoming home owners and the supply of rental properties increases. increase in supply of rental properties should cause the price of rents to fall. overall, housing becomes more affordable.

well that's the theory anyway. I'm sure it wouldn't be that straightforward in practice.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post

I do have concerns for house prices falling as this means a loss of money to all home owners, not just investors.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I do have concerns for house prices falling as this means a loss of money to all home owners, not just investors.
    I agree, there's a lot of hard working families who have struggled to pull a deposit together and get a family home. They potentially could lose everything

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-02-2016),babyno1onboard  (21-02-2016)