+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The article makes some interesting points but it seems largely biased toward the labor party's tax reform policies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of the comments in response to that article:

"
    Negative gearing is a vehicle for me to save money for my retirement. Because I'll be a 'rich investor', I won't be able to collect a pension when I retire and so the taxpayer wins. When I eventually sell the property the government will tax me on the profits, the government wins again. I'm currently supplying a rental property to the market, renters win.

So there's another side to the story, it's not all black and white.

The journalistic quality of the ABC is in slow decline, Britney Spears tells me so.
    "

He makes a good point!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

hopeful1986  (24-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by witherwings View Post
    The article makes some interesting points but it seems largely biased toward the labor party's tax reform policies.
    Oh yeah, just a tad!

One of the comments in response to that article:

"
    Negative gearing is a vehicle for me to save money for my retirement. Because I'll be a 'rich investor', I won't be able to collect a pension when I retire and so the taxpayer wins. When I eventually sell the property the government will tax me on the profits, the government wins again. I'm currently supplying a rental property to the market, renters win.

So there's another side to the story, it's not all black and white.

The journalistic quality of the ABC is in slow decline, Britney Spears tells me so.
    "

He makes a good point!
    This has been my point the whole time. I'm all for making clean, well maintained properties affordable for everyone, but in my opinion it would be irresponsible of me to think that that should take 100% precedence over having other every day Australians being self sufficient and not relying on the government as they get older and into retirement.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

hopeful1986  (24-02-2016),witherwings  (24-02-2016)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I actually dont agree with negative gearing.

I do think expenses relating to a property should be able to be deducted against income from property - and losses carried forward to be used against future property income, or capital gains from the sale of property - but I dont think you should be able to offset property losses against other types of income.

It is just basically unfair and unjust.

I dont think that phasing out negative gearing would have a long term major effect on our housing market. Yes there would be a transition period, but overall the percentage of investors who would NOT invest because they could not negative gear is relatively small.

The issue being solved by phasing out negative gearing is not rental supply - changing the tax is not going to fix that. The issue being addressed is tax. Its revenue for the government - and correcting the rules on negative gearing would close a loophole that allows people to reduce their tax.

I do think the CGT discount is a problem. It costs the government a lot of money - but reducing it or phasing it out WOULD cause a lot more problems. People would rush to sell assets before it changed, and therefore it would have a huge impact on the share market, the housing market, managed investment trusts, super funds and all kinds of other funds. I dont see that being addressed by any government any time soon.

(for the record - I do have investment properties)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (26-02-2016),Gentoo  (24-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (25-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Negative Gearing - Politics talk

Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    I actually dont agree with negative gearing.

I do think expenses relating to a property should be able to be deducted against income from property - and losses carried forward to be used against future property income, or capital gains from the sale of property - but I dont think you should be able to offset property losses against other types of income.

It is just basically unfair and unjust.

I dont think that phasing out negative gearing would have a long term major effect on our housing market. Yes there would be a transition period, but overall the percentage of investors who would NOT invest because they could not negative gear is relatively small.

The issue being solved by phasing out negative gearing is not rental supply - changing the tax is not going to fix that. The issue being addressed is tax. Its revenue for the government - and correcting the rules on negative gearing would close a loophole that allows people to reduce their tax.

I do think the CGT discount is a problem. It costs the government a lot of money - but reducing it or phasing it out WOULD cause a lot more problems. People would rush to sell assets before it changed, and therefore it would have a huge impact on the share market, the housing market, managed investment trusts, super funds and all kinds of other funds. I dont see that being addressed by any government any time soon.

(for the record - I do have investment properties)
    I agree that the only motivation the government & opposition have for discussing changes to negative gearing is to increase revenue. It is not an attempt to make properties or renting more affordable. The truth is no one knows how exactly it will impact either one of those issues. There are too many factors at play and people are unpredictable.

As far as capital gains are concerned, I don't think it's fair to not allow any discount whatsoever. Imagine you deposit $100 in your account in 1980. And let's say for example that for that $100 you could have bought groceries for an entire household for a fortnight. If you withdraw it today you could maybe buy groceries for an entire household for 2 days. This is why you can't expect taxpayers to pay tax on 100% of their capital gains. It's actually unfair, extremely unfair. The indexation method made sense because of increased the cost value of the property in line with inflation. So you bought a property for $200,000 in 2006 and sold it today for $400,000 - but in 10 years let's say inflation was around 4% per year. So the present value is therefore $296049 and the profit is actually $103951. Assuming no other costs, this would be the taxable capital gain. It's not as good as it would be under a 50% discount method but certainly fairer.

I don't agree with getting rid of negative gearing but I am also not opposed to changes to make it "fairer".

And I have investment properties too but they are all positively geared.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree that the only motivation the government & opposition have for discussing changes to negative gearing is to increase revenue. It is not an attempt to make properties or renting more affordable. The truth is no one knows how exactly it will impact either one of those issues. There are too many factors at play and people are unpredictable.

As far as capital gains are concerned, I don't think it's fair to not allow any discount whatsoever. Imagine you deposit $100 in your account in 1980. And let's say for example that for that $100 you could have bought groceries for an entire household for a fortnight. If you withdraw it today you could maybe buy groceries for an entire household for 2 days. This is why you can't expect taxpayers to pay tax on 100% of their capital gains. It's actually unfair, extremely unfair. The indexation method made sense because of increased the cost value of the property in line with inflation. So you bought a property for $200,000 in 2006 and sold it today for $400,000 - but in 10 years let's say inflation was around 4% per year. So the present value is therefore $296049 and the profit is actually $103951. Assuming no other costs, this would be the taxable capital gain. It's not as good as it would be under a 50% discount method but certainly fairer.

I don't agree with getting rid of negative gearing but I am also not opposed to changes to make it "fairer".

And I have investment properties too but they are all positively geared.
    I think the indexation method is a more equitable method.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I think the indexation method is a more equitable method.
    Especially when you consider that investors who held an asset for 12 months get the same discount as those who held their assets for 10 years! Totally unfair.
    But there is so much unfair stuff when it comes to CGT... Don't even get me started!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Negative Gearing - Politics talk

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/opin...9dc-1456461687

Negative gearing pushes first home buyers out of the market, or they pay a premium for it.

So arguing that investment properties are providing rental property are probably the reason tenants are renting in the first place.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (26-02-2016),Gentoo  (26-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Investors also pay stamp duty and land tax each year, so negative gearing isn't just money for nothing. As I said before most investors either sell by the 5 year mark or their properties end up positively geared which = investors paying more tax. No matter what a persons income today, everyone will retire one day and the more people who have investment properties, the fewer retirees will need to rely on the government once they've retired
    Exactly!