+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Negative Gearing - Politics talk

I was wondering what people's views are of how both the liberal party and Labour party are promoting their views on negative gearing.

What are your feelings towards what should happen with it?

For me:

Liberal Party
    I'm uncertain what their plans exactly are but looks like they won't be getting rid of it. I agree they shouldn't get rid of it, however the way he's talking to the media about it is scaremongering.

Labour Party
    I don't like how they talk about property investors all being created equal and harping on about those with 5 and 6 investment properties. Their plans to reduce to also reduce the discount from capital gains also gets my back up.

My view:

Yes I have an investment property so no I don't agree with eliminating it all together. Why? Not just my own selfish reasons, yes it benefits me greatly, so does the capital gains discount but also, while I don't agree it will cause the market to crash and sellers will lose money, I think investors will continue to buy properties but they will just charge higher rents which doesn't help long term renters or those renting while they save for a house deposit which is another reason.

My solution, keep negative gearing for those with 1-2 investment properties, then slowly reduce the benefit of negative getting the more properties you have. That way the government can save money by refunding less come tax time to investors, but it won't be reduced by enough that small time investors don't need to raise their rents too much to cover their reduced financial benefit.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My view is you should only get it for one properly and it should stop after say 5 years.

I don't think it encourages investment at all. The negative impacts of it outweigh the positive. It shouldn't be canned but drastically remeasured.

And yes I have an investment property but it's positively geared.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-02-2016),binnielici  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am currently paying more in rent then it would cost to buy a property for my properties current sell price (if the bank calculator did it right),

I don't qualify for a home loan though so instead of paying my own mortgage I get to pay someone else's + some.

I'm unsure how I feel about removing negative gearing, its hard enough to find affordable, decent rentals (looking at 300-370 a week out where I am) won't this mean less rentals?
    Last edited by Nemmi1987; 21-02-2016 at 10:31.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nemmi1987 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-02-2016),AdornedWithCats  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Negative Gearing - Politics talk

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    My view is you should only get it for one properly and it should stop after say 5 years.

I don't think it encourages investment at all. The negative impacts of it outweigh the positive. It shouldn't be canned but drastically remeasured.

And yes I have an investment property but it's positively geared.
    I agree it doesn't necessarily encourage it, but the yearly tax refund does factor into what an investor is willing to pay for a property and what rent they charge.

So nemmi, I do see rents rising. Either less people will invest = less properties = higher rent, or they will continue to invest but raise the rent to make up for the reduction in the income they get from negative gearing. I don't see it being good for renters at all.

If be interested in seeing the stats on the number of investments property investors have. How many only have 1 how many have 2-5 and how many have more.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 21-02-2016 at 11:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure what to make of all of it.... Housing needs to be more affordable but at the same time it needs to maintain value or there will be many many people in deep financial trouble with the potential of loans being foreclosed, etc like what happened in the US.

I don't know what the magic answer is. Maybe an increase in the first home buyers grant.

I don't think there should be any major changes to negative gearing as it could destabilise rents and house prices.

I have two investment properties that are neutrally geared. I didn't buy them as investment properties, we just upgraded our family home and rented the old ones instead of selling them. Will sell one of them soon though as we can't afford to keep them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm completely against them scrapping negative gearing. I have an investment property and we are now looking to buy a second. We use our tax return to pay our mortgage. It'll be like we're being penalised for being responsible

Make changes to negative gearing for the rich (1% specifically) not those using property for their bloody retirement plan.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-02-2016),Janesmum123  (21-02-2016),misho  (21-02-2016),SuperGranny  (26-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    I'm completely against them scrapping negative gearing. I have an investment property and we are now looking to buy a second. We use our tax return to pay our mortgage. It'll be like we're being penalised for being responsible

Make changes to negative gearing for the rich (1% specifically) not those using property for their bloody retirement plan.
    You can still use property to plan for retirement. You can still invest.

I personally don't think there is any good reason to allow people to buy investment properties that they know they can't rent for sufficient money to pay the mortgage.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (21-02-2016),Freyamum  (27-04-2016),Gentoo  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    You can still use property to plan for retirement. You can still invest.

I personally don't think there is any good reason to allow people to buy investment properties that they know they can't rent for sufficient money to pay the mortgage.
    If you don't over extend yourself and you're smart about what you buy, you don't lose out.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    If you don't over extend yourself and you're smart about what you buy, you don't lose out.
    Which is why I think there should be a limit on the number of properties people can negatively gear.