+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3yr boy cries every night

I'm currently a single mum, dh is working overseas for a few months, to two healthy squabbling kids 5.5 and 3 - they fight and scream constantly and bedtime is just horrible, every night. DS ends up crying himself to sleep if he's not slept thro the day but otherwise the moment I lay him in my bed he drops off within seconds. If he's not tired out with crying he will constantly come in to living room for the sofa. DD is pretty tired so eventually she drops off but it's not only driving me insane but also driving me to drink wine too - I am really struggling to cope.
    I want to be kinder instead of shouting and saying no all the time - anybody with some good sound advice, apart from stop drinking wine.
    Last edited by berrybez1; 20-02-2016 at 20:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    What's your bedtime routine?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Since DH went away beg of Jan I've tried to start bathroom stuff, sometimes bath or wash and teeth and then pjs and straight into bedroom (living room quiet and dark with lamp on) - one book sometimes two, chosen as well (sometimes sooo tired it's just one at my choice!) but then it starts ....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following. I have no advice sorry - but I feel your pain. I'm in a similar situation right now. I have a 3yr old and almost 5yr old, DH is on late shifts (i'm on mornings) and I too am struggling to deal with the whole school/daycare pickups, cooking dinner, baths and bed-time rush - with a 3yr old who is sometimes still awake at 9:30pm. Exausting isn't it. I don't want to be the tired cranky Mum either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

berrybez1  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry bedtime routine starts around 7-730 but always aim to have them in bed by 8 - it can go on until 9.30-10 when I'm just so fed up and feel so bad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    SL - I feel so overwhelmed ... and when I hear the last whimper and I know they're in the land of nod I feel this calm..but then I know I need to get some sleep ready for the am!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to berrybez1 For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, it can be so tough! If my 3.5 yr old doesn't have a day sleep it makes for a terrible afternoon of overtiredness... if that hapoens i put her to bed early... sometimes 5pm. ( normal bedtime 6pm). I find if a 3 yr old is overtired it gets very ugly... i have to adjust things accordingly.. all the best

10. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

berrybez1  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps; bath time is over rated. If dh is away, most nights i gave a quick wipe down. Do what works for you at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally hear you berrybez1. I find myself staying up late just to be able to 'enjoy' some peace and quiet on my own - and then of course the day starts again and I am already tired when it begins. I agree, it is so overwhelming. I am at a loss as to what to do. I start my bedtime routine about the same time as you - there is no way to start any earlier sometimes as we may not even arrive home before 5-6pm some nights. (Sorry, I feel like i'm hijacking your thread with my own problems!!!). Just know you are not alone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally understand if this is something you don't want to get into a habit of, but honestly my suggestion would be to just let the 3 year old sleep in your bed, if that settles them quicker. If your DH is away for an extended time and you're not coping, I'd say this is about survival for you and the kids, and if that means usual "routines" get thrown out the window for a while, then so be it. Wine is fine too if it helps, or chocolate!

Otherwise my only other suggestion is to start the wind down routine earlier, if you can. It might mean "dinner" in the car as u drive home from daycare (sorry I don't know your situation), give the bath a miss, and even recruiting the 5.5 year old to help put the 3 yo to bed so you both can have a bit more quality time together in the evening.