+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving Interstate with Children

Hi there, I used to frequent this forum a few years ago, I'm hoping there's others out there who have been through a move and are willing to share their experience.

My position; DH & I would love to move and have wanted to for a long time. We have 4 children, 10yo DS, 8yo DD, 5yo DD, 3yo DS. DD11 would like to move, he'd like the fresh start. DD8 has had her best friend since preschool and is in a sport that she loves. There are clubs where we would like to move to, but it's out of her comfort zone. Our school is fantastic and the house we live in will be hard to beat when we move. We love mostly everything about being here, it's just too hot.

My concerns; DS10 will be in middle/high school next year, the size of the schools interstate concern me, he is quiet and introverted. DD8, I worry about her emotional wellbeing, she has the most 'roots' here and I don't want to take that away from her.
    If we move and don't like it, it will cost a lot to move back.
    The commute, here DH is home by 3.30pm every day, I don't think we'll have that interstate.

We have family here, but we also have family interstate, so although we will miss family here, we'll still have close family ties.

My questions: Has anyone moved (voluntarily) with children of similar ages? How did they cope? How did you cope? What did you love? What did you not?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for replies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like you have it pretty good where you are. What are your reasons for moving? We moved interstate a few years ago...was for work but was our decision. We have pretty much regretted and are planning on moving back home in the next year. My view is probably a bit tainted but my advice would be to make sure you have thought it all through, its an expensive exercise if you change your mind. Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

smilesV2  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Kids adapt. I went to 12 schools all up in Victoria and Qld. If you and your husband think moving would be beneficial for the whole family, go for it. The kids may have their noses out of joint for a bit, but even though 12 schools is quite extreme, l believe children need to experience change sometimes. My children were born in Victoria but I am a Qlder and I currently live here. My children have only changed school once but I have told them we will be moving at the end of the year. At the end of the day, it's ultimately up to you. It can be an adventure moving to a new place.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

smilesV2  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies.

Yeah Marchbundle, I said to DH that I moved a lot when I was a kid and I wasn't included in the process. I went to 7 schools all up. I always wondered about relationships, I was never close to anyone during my early school years, but I still have friends from my later high school years (20 years on).

I do worry about DD8. She is cemented in her routine here, her club is only 2 minutes drive away, her best friend is around the corner. I know that the internet shortens the distance, but it's not the same.

I think if she is my main concern, I guess I have my answer.

A move would be better for us in the way of lifestyle, not being so isolated, holidays wouldn't cost a fortune, being able to swim at a beach would be lovely.

Thanks again for your replies.

Feel free to add your stories if you like, I'd still like to hear other experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tinkers: Sorry I didn't answer, I meant to add that we would like to move because we are over the heat mainly (Darwin) and would like to be close to a city to do more, see more, cheaper holidays would be great. Swimming at the beach would be nice too.

Everything else here for us is great.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to smilesV2 For This Useful Post:

Tinkers  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smilesV2 View Post
    Tinkers: Sorry I didn't answer, I meant to add that we would like to move because we are over the heat mainly (Darwin) and would like to be close to a city to do more, see more, cheaper holidays would be great. Swimming at the beach would be nice too.

Everything else here for us is great.
    Oh I used to live in Gray and at the RAAF base in Winnellie when i was in my early 20s. Would love to go back for a visit one day...good luck with whatever you decide.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

smilesV2  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Fair enough, can understand that
    Go for it...bonus that you will still have family nearby. That is definitely what I miss about our move. Being closer to a city and getting involved with school, sports, clubs etc, I think your kids will settle in before you know it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinkers For This Useful Post:

smilesV2  (20-02-2016)