+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I grew up on a farm, we ate a lot of our own produce. I learned to use sight/smell/texture to decide if food was ok to eat. Also we shopped once a week or fortnight so didn't have the luxury of fresh produce every few days unless it came from the garden or freezer.
    Meat I will make sure I cook it by its use by date. Dairy I don't trust use by dates so always have a sniff or a small taste first if I'm suspicious - I find milk often turns before its use by date?
    Ham I will use by use by date
    Best before dates I view as a guideline at best!
    Canned goods I inspect the can for damage - I read somewhere if the can is damaged bacteria can start to grow?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Meat must be eaten before date. I freeze it usually so it doesn't matter.
    Milk/dairy etc always too.
    Salads and veggies I just decide depending on n texture and look.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Deli meats i am WEIRD about. I need to have it fresh cut and use that day. Once, from a lovely deli, i ordered 10 slices of pastrami. They had 4 slices cut and sitting in the display cabinet, then they cut 6 more fresh and added them all together. When i got home, and we were eating them, the difference betwern the precut 4 and the fresh cut 6 was profound...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Use by dates- I generally stick to. Sometimes I'll go past a day or two but inspect it thoroughly first.

Best before dates- mean nothing to me lol. If it still tastes good, I still use it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm obsessive about it. If something has an expiry or use by date then it is used well in advance of that date. Unless it was purchased and frozen - like meat. But it is defrosted overnight in fridge and cooked and eaten the next day.

Best before to be honest I'm fairly strict with as well. Just because a food smells ok and in some cases even tastes ok doesn't mean it is ok.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to binnielici For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take no notice of use and best before dates. I hate throwing away food especially meat and animal products as I'm a firm believer that if you choose to eat meat you should respect that an animal died (and in some cases may not have lived a particularly pleasant life) so to throw food away that is perfectly safe and edible just because it is past its date is very disrespectful in my opinion.
    I also remember learning in my public health lectures at university tht most bacteria and mould that cause food to go off and taste or smell bad are not harmful. The ones that will cause food poisoning for example salmonella, campylobacter etc will be present on many meats that are well within their use by dates. You just need to cook it properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Meat must be eaten before date. I freeze it usually so it doesn't matter.
    Milk/dairy etc always too.
    Salads and veggies I just decide depending on n texture and look.
    This is what I do.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a stickler for expiration dates. No way could i eat 'expired' foods. Bleugh.

I saw an article by CSIRO recently on food hygiene myths, and one of their points is that smell and texture are not to be trusted as tests on whether food is spoiled or not, as bacteria that taints food often doesn't leave a calling card - it doesn't smell bad or make food slimy. If its gets to the slimy and smelly point then its been bad for a while... I'll see if I can dig up the article it was an eye opener to me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (20-02-2016)