+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Food expiration dates.

The kids and I live with mum and mum and I have very different views on expiration dates!

If the expiry date was the day before, I refuse to use it or feed it to my kids.

Mum quite happily uses things way past their expiration date and willingly tastes things to see if they're off, such as cream etc.

It makes my tummy turn!

So where do you sit with expiration dates?

I know use by dates are different but even then I avoid anything out of date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Expiration dates - do not use on the day they 'expire'. Any later - hell no!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depends what it is and how it has been stored.

My general rule is if it smells okay and hasn't gone solid or shows visible mould I will still use it.

I ignore expiry dates on some things eg I keep flour in the freezer. I have found it fine to keep on using.

Dairy too far past the use by date is not that great. I have found milk is okay to consume a day or two after especially if it hasn't been opened until the actual expiry date. If it smells okay and isn't solid I will use it.

Cream (especially Pauls cream in a carton ie not thickened) can go a bit solid when it approaches it useby date. If I open it and it smells off / is difficult to pour I will toss it.

I have found useby dates on fruit and veg to be a bit random. Carrots are fine to eat past their supposed useby date. Corn on the other hand is often manky well before the useby date and best eaten the day of purchase.

I've found spices can be fine past the useby date.

I always thought tinned food can last for years. Lately I've noticed that some tins in my cupboard now have a useby date. eg tinned kidney beans and chickpeas. I stocked up a few weeks ago when Coles were selling the Edgell brand out half price. The useby date is September this year which is really odd as I was under the impression that tinned food could last for decades.

ETA on a similar note, condensed milk forgotten about and left in the back of the pantry for years past it's expiry date will turn into caramel. We discovered this when my grandma moved into a nursing home and cleaned out her place. I think my mother may have eaten it. Ewww.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 20-02-2016 at 14:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on what it is (ie: meat, cheese, salads or packaged goods) as a rule though, the "Use by" dates, I stick to within a day or two - unless it is obviously bad/spoiled and "Best before" dates I use as a guide really. I do the smell, taste test!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Food expiration dates.

I'm pretty militant with things like dairy. I've noticed milk lately staying ok past its expiry date though so if it's not smelling sour, dh will continue to use it (I don't drink cows milk so much anymore so not an issue for me).

other stuff like sauces I pay no attention to. we've been using sauces in the fridge that are 1-2 years out of date. no issues.

medications I'll throw out past use by date. I've heard they lose their effectiveness after expiry so not much point holding onto them. I did use some expired dettol cream on a burn dh gave himself though, figured it was better than nothing.

so yeah, depends on what the product is. let's just say I use expiry dates as a rough guide. I've bought and consumed stuff that's been within expiry date and it's been off so I don't take use by dates as gospel. common sense prevails. I've been a bit more cautious while pregnant of course.
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 20-02-2016 at 15:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    medications I'll throw out past use by date. I've heard they lose their effectiveness after expiry so not much point holding onto them.
    Oh yes. I always get rid of medications.

According to someone I work with, sunscreen will have the opposite effect once it gets past it's useby date. ie will make you burn. I'm not too sure if this is true or not but I'm not game to put it on my kids just in case it is true.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meat products- i feel like i need to cook it 2 days before the use by date otherwise i feel funny... dairy, i go by smell. Bread etc i go by 'look'.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Meat products- i feel like i need to cook it 2 days before the use by date otherwise i feel funny... dairy, i go by smell. Bread etc i go by 'look'.
    I am uneasy with meat being in the fridge longer than a day. ie it can be raw for 1 night then if it's not cooked the following day I feel it must be verging on toxic. esp things like chicken.

bread I keep in the fridge. it goes a bit stale but is fine for toast. so long as it's not moldy I'll eat it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put bread and meat straight in the freezer unless I intend to use them that day.

(I do know that frozen bread can be a bit of controversial topic, but I have never had a problem with the quality when thawed).

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Expiry date = don't eat after date
    Best before date = check it first before eating after date.