+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Child's behavior regressed after starting prep

Just wondering if anyone can relate and offer some advice to our situation. DD has just started Prep this year and is becoming so tired after 5 long days at school. We expected this and had prepared ourselves as its a big jump for her after only doing a 5 day fortnight at kindy. What we haven't prepared ourselves for is the behavior regression that's come with it. She has started throwing tantrums again when she doesn't get her way and refusing to talk to us about how she's feeling, choosing instead to grunt and cry. Not sure how long we can cope with this, its happening every morning and evening and now starting the weekend the same way. We are trying not to give her the attention for this behavior hoping she will give up. We are also trying not to be little her and refer to her as a baby when she acts this way, but so far nothing is helping. Has anyone had a similar situation with their little one and survived?????

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is older but we're going through a bit of this again as she has just started at a new school - Friday is the worst! She also went through it starting prep at 5, despite previously being in full time daycare it was still so tiring!

Is she doing for attention? Yes. Does that mean you should ignore it? In my opinion, no.

Its a cry for help. She is not coping and needs a bit of extra love and affection - two books at bedtime, drinking a hot chocolate together and having a chat when she gets home, usually when my DD is at her worst in a toddler style screaming tanty, I just go up and hug her, telling her its ok to feel upset. Then when she is calm she is more likely to share her feelings.

On the practical side, cut down on after school /weekend activities for a little whole and keep weekends a bit quieter. Not too quiet, they want something interesting to talk about with their new friends. But no dinners out on Sunday night or long weekend camping trips.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Wise Enough  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply @Stretched. I have been doing just that during the week after school dropping everything and when she gets upset just giving her cuddles, she doesn't seem to even know thats what she needs until I put my arms around her. The behavior I am ignoring is the tantrum and refusal to talk, ie not making an issue out of it. I have also just canceled our plans for tomorrow planning on a chilled out day before she starts school again on Monday in the hope shes less tired. Suppose we just have to roll with it at the moment then and hope things get easier, can't wait for the Easter holidays lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Heyside my dd is exactly the same. She is 5 and has just started prep. By Friday I can't handle it anymore. Now when she blows up I just hold her while she cries. It must be so tiring for them. My dd went to Kindy 5 days a week prior to school and was fine most of the time. I'm just riding it out .....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kriista For This Useful Post:

Heyside  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girls went through this. They are 9 and 11 now, and your little ones will adjust. When my kids started prep we were given info to say the children would be exhausted. This is a big change in their little lives. As a mum who's gone through it, I promise things will get better.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Heyside  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    FWIW I found with all of my kids that things got better after we survived the first term.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Heyside  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies nice to hear we are not alone in surviving all this. I am already counting down the weeks to the Easter holidays how bad is that lol!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

kriista  (20-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Imagine a 5/6 year old being in school all day? Of course they're going to be exhausted!
    This was one of the many reasons we chose homeschooling. I know not everybody can do this (or want to do this).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update on here for other people who are going through similar situations down the line. That first term was very very hard throughout for all of us as a family, DD was tired and tended to take her frustration out on us when she got home. The second term got easier though she started to adjust to the routine and we made sure on her return home she had at least half an hour of chill out time when she came home, we didn't pester her it was time for her with lots of cuddles from me and just general down time. As the term came to an end she started to get more tired but it was easier than first term. Shes just started third term now and we are hoping it gets easier again. We have to say she loves school now and loves the whole social environment. She is doing well with her reading and work in general and has made a really nice group of friends. All I can say if someone else finds themselves in a similar situation when your little one starts school is give it time they do adjust.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heyside For This Useful Post:

Californication  (18-07-2016),Wise Enough  (18-07-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just reading back over this thread I can say sll those helpful people who replied you were right it does happen they do adjust - Thanks everyone x