+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How would you feel - close, regular contact with unvaxxinated kids.

So my DS who is 5 travels on a small school bus some days. Its a 35 minute journey each way, & its not feasable for me to make the trip twice every day with a baby & toddler in the car - so the bus works perfectly for us. The only problem is,another family who also use the bus are staunchly & vocally anti vax. They are lovely people & not malicious in any way, just mis-educated & very misguided.

My DS is travelling I think twice a week with the children in this family - roughly 1-2 hours a week,on a small 12 seater bus,usually sitting next to or very close to the unvaccinated children. He is completely up to date with his immunisations, as are his younger siblings.

TBH,I'm not sure how I feel about him being in such close & regular contact with these children. Logically I am telling myself that the chances of him contracting a VPD are low,with his vaxxes up to date. But it does still make me feel nervous & a bit anxious that he will in an enclosed bus every week with these children.

How would you feel about it? Would you be completely not concerned,a bit nervous, or even try to make other arrangements? I'm just really not sure what level of 'anxiety' is normal!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Given he has had his 4 yo boosters I probably wouldn't be overly worried but given I have a baby at home that would completely change things. So if it were me, I would be quite concerned, if it were you given you don't have littlies (I think? lol) I wouldn't be a fan but would still send him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest is over 1 now,so not too tiny that I am terribly worried for her. I think I agree,if she was only a few weeks/ months old it would be more worrying for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not worried at all, we will always be surrounded by people who may or may not be vaccinated or contagious or sick, it's just that this time you are aware of it, normally you wouldn't be

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Californication  (20-02-2016),cheeeeesecake  (19-02-2016),Mod-Myztik  (21-02-2016),pointless1  (19-02-2016),Stretched  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default H

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Not worried at all, we will always be surrounded by people who may or may not be vaccinated or contagious or sick, it's just that this time you are aware of it, normally you wouldn't be
    My first thought was 'well he is probably coming in to contact with unvaxxinated kids all the time & I wouldnt know about it' - but I guess the thing that was concerning to me is that it is SO regular, & it is in such a small, confined space every week. But I did absolutely have the same thoughts as you, & if I hadnt known of this family's views, I would be none the wiser.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As long as your son is vaccinated, he is protected against things. I feel sorry for the unvaxxed kiddies. They will probably cop a worse case of chicken pox or something if it does the rounds at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've not read any responses.

I'd be OK with it. I have no idea who is vaxxed at my son's school. He is fully vaxxed so I just expect that those vaccinations either prevent or minimize any serious illnesses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Wouldn't bother me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I would lose too much sleep, unless you live in an area of low vax rates. Hopefully, his own immunity and the protection of the herd will be enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids take the bus as well and it's not something I've ever thought about. All we can do is vax our kids and give them that protection. I don't think you can completely avoid non vaxers. There's always going to be people out there who thing that vaxing isn't good/necessary. Vax rates where I live aren't as high as they could be, and we've had outbreaks of whooping cough a lot in the past 4 years. But I'm not that worried. We have a couple of non vax families at our playgroup and there's probably more at school I don't know about. But my kids are fully vaccinated on schedule, and that's all I can do.