+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did lots of playing when the kids were little but once they started 3yr kindy I didn't do so much at home. We do read, play Lego, board games with the kids and we have outside time with them for a good few hours every day when we love to sit and watch them play. The oldest 2 are nearly 8 and nearly 5 and play together for hours. Their imaginations are incredible 😀

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, not that interested. I like reading/chatting/doing other things...but not so much playing. I don't see the issue thought.... play's extremely important for kids, but a big part of that is that play is an opportunity for children to be in control of their world. That's far more do-able if adults AREN'T involved in the play.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-02-2016),FearlessLeader  (19-02-2016),Stretched  (20-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm always reluctant but when I'm actually doing it I enjoy it. I probably get too carried away in playing barbies, and I have acted out social services taking away my DDs barbies children as she was maltreating them 😄.

I hate jumping on the trampoline and pushing them on the swings! Don't mind building blocks though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't do playing. .well the sit on floor push cars around/play babies/play trains type playing..I'll set it up ( if kiddo can't ) but then I'm out if there...
    I'll do cooking, kick a ball, read stories, let the todder "help" with housework etc but imaginative play. .nup..hate it. I reckon I'm a good mum....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can't stand it!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (20-02-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (20-02-2016),MrsSS  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I dont think I'm great at it. I try to play to my strengths, so rather than trying to be mum of the year by crafting or painting or building Legos, I instead make plans to do things that I know DD and I can both enjoy together. Eg: brunch dates at playcafes, visiting friends/family, cooking together, trips to the park.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all of the replies. It helps to know I'm not the only one as I was feeling quite alone - I know many 'super Mums' who seem to enjoy it! My daughters are 4 & 1. The 4yo is in kindy 2 days per week & the 1yo in daycare 2 days. My 1yo is challenging and so clingy so I find it out to get out of the house as she won't sit in a pram which drives me bonkers. My kids do need more outside play time, but I can't enjoy that either because the 1yo won't sit still & climbs everything/eats everything & ends up hurting herself!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lulupetal For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids are 9 and 11 so they play a lot with each other but we play boardgames, bake, make craft. I'm not too into imaginative play but i want my kids to be able to look back and say mum did stuff with us. I can't remember my mum doing anything with us really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Set a time limit... 10 minutes here and there to do something with your kid.

Kids need to do things on their own too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeschooling4 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lulupetal View Post
    Thanks so much for all of the replies. It helps to know I'm not the only one as I was feeling quite alone - I know many 'super Mums' who seem to enjoy it! My daughters are 4 & 1. The 4yo is in kindy 2 days per week & the 1yo in daycare 2 days. My 1yo is challenging and so clingy so I find it out to get out of the house as she won't sit in a pram which drives me bonkers. My kids do need more outside play time, but I can't enjoy that either because the 1yo won't sit still & climbs everything/eats everything & ends up hurting herself!
    My kids are the same age and yes it's hard! My 1 year old especially is always clinging to my legs when I'm trying to get stuff done in the kitchen, he always gets himself into trouble at the playground and doesn't sit still for long in his pram or high chair without screaming when we are out.

I think 1 year olds and independent play just don't go together. I agree with the pp advice in that try and sit down and play with them without interruption from your phone or the TV or housework, then *try* and leave them to it do the rest of the hour.