+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Took his dummy away last night!

It's more about whilst in a cot and having these items.
    It all changes whilst in a toddler bed. I presumed he was still in cot since my 21month old is.
    That's ok it's also a small misunderstanding for use of descriptive word 'comforter'.

I said take both being the comfort material (material nappy) he associates with the dummy - I wasn't suggesting a doona / blanket type cover
    Last edited by Jay11; 16-03-2016 at 00:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    And this says you can use a soft toy as a comforter after 7 months...

http://www.sidsandkidswa.org/assets/...013-mar-final1[1].pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay11 View Post
    'SIDS and Kids recommends delaying offering a pillow until baby is over two years of age and is no longer sleeping in a cot or portable cot'

http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-conten...lowUseweb2.pdf
    I did say around this age...πŸ˜‰ So I think offering a teddy for a comforter for a 21 month old doesn't really fall in the overly dangerous category.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I said take both being the comfort material (material nappy) he associates with the dummy - I wasn't suggesting a doona / blanket type cover
    Again, I understood what you meant by taking both and I just disagree, I don't feel you should take both the dummy and comforter/nappy away, let him seek comfort in the nappy while he gets used to no dummy. I think he'll stop making the association after a while and be fine with just the comforter/nappy and no dummy.

Anyways, this is a bit of an unnecessary debate, I just disagreed with the idea of taking both comfort objects away and the idea that any soft toy should not be allowed as comfort for an under 5 year old and considered a risk. Let PP do what she wants with either opinion. ☺️
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 16-03-2016 at 01:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The only reason I say both is our son was fine to have dummy taken away whilst teething and going back into cot in his own room so unless you want him to have a comfort blanket then if you do it together it may be a quicker process as nothing to remind him of what he's missing. Lots of cuddles of course help too but it's just my opinion from my experience!

Thanks
    Reviews

I'd take him off both. We went cold turkey on our boy a few months back and he forgot it in no time and doesn't even try to take his friends. He actually sleeps so much better without it as doesn't search for it like he use to in his sleep. I'd take both off him and not offer a substitute. Teddys can become germ fests unless you are going to regularly wash it. We keep toys out of the bed full stop at the moment and our son is 21months too. They recommend not to have teddys or soft toys on the SIDS checklist from memory until 5yrs and to avoid your child standing on it and slipping whilst in the cot. The choice is yours but as I said they don't need them & he may actually sleep better without you just have to stay strong once its gone. Good luck
    The SIDS guidelines actually say a small toy or is ok from seven months and that it can provide comfort as a transitional object.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Leksie5000 For This Useful Post:

Jay11  (18-03-2016)