+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Took his dummy away last night!

So the past couple of days DS (just turned 2) has become obsessed with a little bunny so at bedtime last night I just randomly decided not to clip his dummy to his sleeping bag and see what happened. I didn't say anything to him about it, just put him to bed as usual and decided if he called me back in for it I would just pretend I'd forgotten it and give it to him. He never said anything!! He took about 45 mins to fall asleep rather than 5 or 10 but was quiet, just wiggling around in his cot. He slept fine, no random wake ups in the middle of the night wanting it but woke at about 5am. I do normally hear him stir around 4am and hear him put his dummy in his mouth and then he sleeps until between 6 and 7am so now I'm worried 5am will be a regular wakeup because maybe that is when the dummy was most important to him? He did his normal stirring around 4.30am but then obviously didn't have his dummy.

Has anyone had this happen? Did they just get used to it after a few days and go back to a more 'acceptable' wake up time? Or am I stuck with 5am wake ups for a while ๐Ÿ˜ฉ? I don't sleep well myself so 5am is a killer for me.

I am super proud of him though, such a good little guy and he has said nothing about it!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 19-02-2016 at 17:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It's hard for bub - at 4:40-5am bub has already had a big chunk of sleep - it's really hard to resettle without that favourite comforter (whatever it is - dummy, boob, toy).

Try clipping the dummy to the rabbit. Use the rabbit/dummy at every sleep regardless of where it it (pram, cot, car). Then after 2-3 weeks unclip the dummy. By then bub might be just as in love with bunny as the dummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We left my son to his dummy for a long time out of fear of the 430 am start to the day. And when we finally got rid of it yep he woke at 430/5am and couldn't resettle.

But after a couple of days it stopped. I've found its like dropping the morning feed. They wake and can't resettle for a couple of days only then life goes back to normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this is an old thread but need some advice

DS is 21 months & has his dummy as comfort thing for him, he has a cloth nappy that he always sleeps with and the nappy and dummy go hand in hand. In he has his nappy he immediately says he wants dummy. He only has it to sleep or in the car he has just popped his dummy and I am wanting to just tell him it's gone but reluctant to do it in fear that it will affect his sleep. I have tried giving him a teddy to sleep with but he will usually just give it a hug then throw it away, and snuggles his nappy with his dummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Took his dummy away last night!

I'd take him off both. We went cold turkey on our boy a few months back and he forgot it in no time and doesn't even try to take his friends. He actually sleeps so much better without it as doesn't search for it like he use to in his sleep. I'd take both off him and not offer a substitute. Teddys can become germ fests unless you are going to regularly wash it. We keep toys out of the bed full stop at the moment and our son is 21months too. They recommend not to have teddys or soft toys on the SIDS checklist from memory until 5yrs and to avoid your child standing on it and slipping whilst in the cot. The choice is yours but as I said they don't need them & he may actually sleep better without you just have to stay strong once its gone. Good luck
    Last edited by Jay11; 15-03-2016 at 23:31.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay11 For This Useful Post:

MyDino  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't take away both, I think it's important for him to have a comforter, especially when taking away another comforter. Just give him the cloth nappy and tell him the dummy is broken or lost, I don't think it will take that long for him to stop making the association between the two.

SIDS and Kids says it is safe to sleep with a small pillow around this age so highly doubt they have issue with any other comforter.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

MyDino  (15-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I wouldn't take away both, I think it's important for him to have a comforter, especially when taking away another comforter. Just give him the cloth nappy and tell him the dummy is broken or lost, I don't think it will take that long for him to stop making the association between the two.

SIDS and Kids says it is safe to sleep with a small pillow around this age so highly doubt they have issue with any other comforter.
    Haha no I wasn't meaning the comforter I was referring to replacing with teddy or other toys b

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay11 View Post
    Haha no I wasn't meaning the comforter I was referring to replacing with teddy or other toys b
    I understood that, but you did say to take away the comforter as well. My other comment was in regards to a teddy as a comforter, if SIDS and Kids doesn't feel a pillow is a risk at this age then I highly doubt they would feel a teddy is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    'SIDS and Kids recommends delaying offering a pillow until baby is over two years of age and is no longer sleeping in a cot or portable cot'

http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-conten...lowUseweb2.pdf

Thanks
    Reviews
    ....'in accordance with SIDS and Kidsโ€™ guidelines for a safe sleeping environment.
    Keep the cot free of toys, pillows, bumpers, activity centres and anything else that could be โ€˜stackedโ€™ to assist a young child to climb out of the cot.'
    http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-conten..._6pp_DLWeb.pdf