C-section and photographer?? | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default C-section and photographer??

Has anyone been able to have a photographer in the surgery room for a planed c-section?

I know photos can be taken have them from my first emergency c-section, but a nurse took them so not great blurry and very few. I would love to have a photographer to capture the moments.

Love to hear from you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would ask your hospital as first port of call, but I don't like your chances. We don't allow photographers in our theatres. It's a safety issue as it has the potential to compromise the sterility of the theatres, plus if something were to go wrong then they would have to try and get 2 people out of the theatre rather than just the one (your DP). We don't even let the partners stand up and watch the actual operation, so I'm not sure they would allow a third person to capture it all. A vaginal birth is very different and your chosen photographer may not even cope with the reality of a c-section. It's taken me a couple of years to be comfortable watching a c-section without feeling a bit seedy. Also you may have to get consent from everyone who is in the theatre in case they were photographed, as birth photographers try and take more candid photos as opposed to set shots so there is potential to photograph the staff. Professional photographers also like to use their images for advertising, they get uploaded to social media/website galleries etc so it's not fair to the staff.

Don't forget also that in your emergency c-section, things may have been happening in a hurry which is why the photos my be blurry. In an elective caesarean, things won't be quite as rushed so you *should* get better photos. Our anaesthetic techs take some pretty amazing photos - ie bubs coming out of the incision while avoiding anything potentially gory etc. You might actually be surprised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default C-section and photographer??

I had our photographer take photos at my early morning c-section. She was there already to take pic of what was going to be my natural birth anyway. It was not a planned c-section.

My OB, midwives and all staff were totally OK with it. When I went for my 6 week check up my OB asked for me to bring the pics in for him to see.

We only have black and white pics as it's a bit gruesome.

My fave pic is of my OB holding my DD and the time is in the background.

My photographer was with us from about 11pm as I was at 8cm and stayed until about 9am. She is a midwife so was very used to hospital settings.

It is a very small rural hospital in NSW.
    Last edited by Wissa; 19-02-2016 at 18:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know this wont answer your question - but my anaesthetist took mine and they are awesome! He was about six foot six so it was an amazing view, he captured the clock in one shot, the weight display, you name it. We didn't ask him he just took the camera and started clicking. Worth persevering with your for those pics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I really think my chances are slim but just wanted to check and will ask them. But some very good points raised. Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I really think my chances are slim but just wanted to check and will ask them. But some very good points raised. Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our private hospital is fine with it and even advertises a local professional photographer who does all kinds of births including c-sections. Her pics are amazing and she has framed prints all over the maternity suite.
    I know plenty of people who've had their births photographed by professionals I think it's worth asking your hospital for sure.