+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Perineal massage - worth it?

But of a TMI topic but wandering if anyone wanted to share their PM experiences? DH and I practiced this with our first but I ended up with an emergency C so it really was a bit of a waste of time. I am hoping for a VBAC this time and we've done a bit of PM but I hate doing it and sometimes think hell, it's going to hurt anyway, if I am going to tear I'll probably tear regardless... Why go through the pain now etc.

So if you practiced PM, did it save you from tearing? Do you think it did anything at all? Would you do it again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    But of a TMI topic but wandering if anyone wanted to share their PM experiences? DH and I practiced this with our first but I ended up with an emergency C so it really was a bit of a waste of time. I am hoping for a VBAC this time and we've done a bit of PM but I hate doing it and sometimes think hell, it's going to hurt anyway, if I am going to tear I'll probably tear regardless... Why go through the pain now etc.

So if you practiced PM, did it save you from tearing? Do you think it did anything at all? Would you do it again.
    I did it for both pregnancies (although not consistently because I found it uncomfortable and a chore!). First one I ended up with an episiotomy and ventouse delivery. Second time I had a borderline 1st/2nd degree tear. I was honestly surprised that I didn't tear more given the episiotomy scarring. I also inserted evening primrose oil during the last two weeks for my second so maybe that made more of a difference.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (19-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post

I assumed you were going to have another c section but in the event that you do have a vaginal birth I have never massaged that area and had no tears with DD1 but had a tear with stitches with DD2. My personal opinion is, if you are going to tear, you will tear, no amount of massage will help. I guess it's a personal preference. I did consider it to prepare for this birth, but haven't bothered.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This post will also be TMI. I have had 4 babies and done PM with all of them.
    As weird as it is I believed PM helped me not to tear.

Baby # 1 - I was 6 weeks premature and she was my smallest baby. Been premie I actually didn't do PM for to long and I did not tear but had some grazing.

Baby # 2 - C-Section.

Baby # 3 & 4 - were both VBAC's and both were over 4kg no tears or grazing. I did PM with both using oil.

From memory I used almond oil or Melissa oil, I think it was the oil that really helped out more so than the stretching as I did have trouble with Stretching but DH was happy to help out lol.
    I think the oil helped allot as it kept things supple. I guess it is a little like when you have dry skin and moisturise or like leather if it is oiled/conditioned it is very flexible and can be stretched and bent but it is a lot harder to achieve this when the leather dries out and sometimes it cracks (not suggesting our lady bit are leather just an analogy) .

I never did the PM so it was overly painful just gentle stretching. Perhaps I wasn't doing it right. From my experiences I defiantly recommend doing PM with oil. If it is uncomfortable than just do what you can . Good luck with your VBAC

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skye Baby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    I assumed you were going to have another c section but in the event that you do have a vaginal birth I have never massaged that area and had no tears with DD1 but had a tear with stitches with DD2. My personal opinion is, if you are going to tear, you will tear, no amount of massage will help. I guess it's a personal preference. I did consider it to prepare for this birth, but haven't bothered.
    Thanks, yeah hoping for a VBAC they say I have 80% chance of a vaginal birth so I'm giving it a go. Really want to avoid a c sec if I can, although safety of baby is obviously my top priority.

I'm probably just being lazy, PM feels like another chore and an uncomfortable one at that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Skye Baby View Post
    This post will also be TMI. I have had 4 babies and done PM with all of them.
    As weird as it is I believed PM helped me not to tear.

Baby # 1 - I was 6 weeks premature and she was my smallest baby. Been premie I actually didn't do PM for to long and I did not tear but had some grazing.

Baby # 2 - C-Section.

Baby # 3 & 4 - were both VBAC's and both were over 4kg no tears or grazing. I did PM with both using oil.

From memory I used almond oil or Melissa oil, I think it was the oil that really helped out more so than the stretching as I did have trouble with Stretching but DH was happy to help out lol.
    I think the oil helped allot as it kept things supple. I guess it is a little like when you have dry skin and moisturise or like leather if it is oiled/conditioned it is very flexible and can be stretched and bent but it is a lot harder to achieve this when the leather dries out and sometimes it cracks (not suggesting our lady bit are leather just an analogy) .

I never did the PM so it was overly painful just gentle stretching. Perhaps I wasn't doing it right. From my experiences I defiantly recommend doing PM with oil. If it is uncomfortable than just do what you can . Good luck with your VBAC
    Thank you we have been using almond oil. My DH does it (I find it very difficult to do myself), he's reasonably gentle but I think I find it a bit disturbing like it's going to destroy intimacy etc. I just don't like it, but then I'm not going to like a head coming out of there am i! I prob just need to toughen up.

Have heard water birth can reduce tearing/severity too so will see if I end up in the bath again. My OB is happy for me to have a water birth (they have water proof monitoring for VBACs) but I'm a bit hesitant worried that it might slow down my progress (as it did with DS, another story). Maybe if I'm fully dilated and ready to push I'll jump in and give it a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did perennial massage before both of my births. I didn't tear either time - had a graze with DS but that's it. Whether the massage helped I have no idea, but I figured it was worth a shot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really hope you get to have a VBAC this time. I mean it hurts like hell but you recover a lot quicker.

I am not sure I could have DP massage my perinieum lol. I am happy he waxes my legs, I am a bit worried about him seeing the baby coming out of my vag lol...he may never look at me the same way again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Marchbundle View Post
    I really hope you get to have a VBAC this time. I mean it hurts like hell but you recover a lot quicker.

I am not sure I could have DP massage my perinieum lol. I am happy he waxes my legs, I am a bit worried about him seeing the baby coming out of my vag lol...he may never look at me the same way again
    😂 I don't think anything could deter my DH TBH. He'll be up for it way sooner than me. Me on the other hand, will fail to see my lady parts in a sexy way after a baby has come out of there. I think that's part of my problem with the PM. It's destroying that association completely 😂

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Marchbundle  (19-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never did it with any of my Kids and didn't tear. Tearing occurs more due to positioning I've been told.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post: