+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default being contacted by work whilst on mat leave

hoping some lovely ladies on here can shed some light onto what is reasonable in relation to being contacted by work whilst on mat leave.

I started leave end of last month. my boss offered/mentioned if I "got bored" or wanted to do a days work from home, he could arrange to have some client files etc couriered out to me and I could log in via vpn and work. he said no pressure, totally up to you.

he then contacted me the week after I finished and asked me to finish off some urgent work we didn't get to before i went on mat leave. I wasn't impressed but I knew there was a deadline and we'd both forgotten about it before my finish date. I knew he was desperate as the other guy at work was away and there was nobody else to do it (our work is tiny I should add). I did the work, he paid me for it. cool.

figure I've stopped hearing from work, my due date is next Saturday and surely he's figured out by now, i'm probably not interested in doing any work from home at almost 39 weeks pregnant.

I got another phone call today. I was half asleep and trying to catch up on some much needed zzzz's so let it go to voicemail. can you please give me a ring at the office. doesn't say why, what the call is about.

this was around 3pm today and I didn't return the call.

now I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to be rude and just ignore the call. my boss is generally a nice guy, extremely old school, but he's been good to me in the 3-4 years I've been working for him. I'm hesitant though to keep returning his calls as I don't particularly want to give the idea that I'm available for phone calls. ok so I doubt he's calling me about anything work related at this late stage so I'm guessing it might be more to do with seeing how I am?

thing is, I don't really feel like shooting the breeze with my boss. it's work, I want to switch that area of my life off and just forget about it. not be in constant contact.

I'm new to all this and this is my first mat leave break so I'm unsure what the norm is. is it standard practice to be contacted by your boss on leave? I assumed it was like any other kind of leave whereby you generally hear nothing unless it's some catastrophic disaster or extreme emergency.

also, any ideas on how to handle this? I want to be polite and nice but I also want to be firm and send the message that I'm out of contact now for a few months and want to just focus on the final stages of pregnancy and my new baby once he arrives!

argh! help please!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, I don't think it's "normal" but if it's a small business I can sort of see how they could be adjusting to life without you. Not the same as maternity leave but my boss calls me almost every Friday (my day off) and always couple of times while I am on annual leave it really sux so I do sympathise!

I would send him a text and say something like sorry I missed your call yesterday just catching up on some rest as I've only got a few days to go until the baby comes. See what he replies and take it from there. Hopefully he feels guilty and gets the hint. I personally find it easier to say no via a text than in a phone conversation.

Good luck 😊

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foxy For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (19-02-2016),Sandra103  (19-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (18-02-2016),VicPark  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm with you I would want it out ofmy head, perfectly reasonable. Could you just txt and say - sorry I missed your call yesterday, things have been pretty hectic in the lead up to next sat (whatever your due date is) and I'm taking things easy. Bein touch to let you know when we've had Bub.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Sandra103  (19-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I had 2 bouts of maternity leave while working and both times was contacted a lot before the baby but once I had the baby it stopped.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with previous posters. If it were my boss (who is actually really Sh!t at communicating so it would never probably happen!), I'd send him a text rather than call. It gives a message that you don't really want to talk but that you're polite enough to respond. You could just say, 'sorry I missed your call I have been flat out preparing for bubs arrival, was there something urgent you needed to discuss? If not I'll be sure to be in touch once Bub has arrived'. Or something similar which basically says you're too busy for small talk.

If it's urgent/majorly important he'll call you back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default being contacted by work whilst on mat leave

i'd have to email as he doesn't text (told you he was old school 😂).

so if I emailed and said something like what's been suggested, then add in "what's up?" to determine the reason for the call?

I just know if I email he will probably phone back. I would definitely prefer to correspond via email but I know it's not really his style.

I do feel it's a bit invasive while I'm on mat leave. I mean work is my last priority right now and I don't consider these people social friends. it's a professional relationship so I'd prefer to forget about all that stuff right now. I don't feel that's asking too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I agree with previous posters. If it were my boss (who is actually really Sh!t at communicating so it would never probably happen!), I'd send him a text rather than call. It gives a message that you don't really want to talk but that you're polite enough to respond. You could just say, 'sorry I missed your call I have been flat out preparing for bubs arrival, was there something urgent you needed to discuss? If not I'll be sure to be in touch once Bub has arrived'. Or something similar which basically says you're too busy for small talk.

If it's urgent/majorly important he'll call you back.
    ok this is good. I'll use this and email him tomorrow.

I might add in that I've got a couple of appointments and that I won't be readily available on the phone so email is the better way to communicate right now.

if he can't take the hint from that then ffs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    ok this is good. I'll use this and email him tomorrow.

I might add in that I've got a couple of appointments and that I won't be readily available on the phone so email is the better way to communicate right now.

if he can't take the hint from that then ffs.
    Hmmm I wouldn't add that, it's encouraging contact. Say you have appointments and aren't easily contactable.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Hmmm I wouldn't add that, it's encouraging contact. Say you have appointments and aren't easily contactable.
    good point.

I always feel a bit mean being like this but then I get annoyed and think why should I have my mat leave break sullied with annoying work calls.

I'm going back in sept so I want to remain on good terms but my patience is wearing thin also.

maybe he's contacting me to say he's retiring and selling the business and I don't need to bother coming back lol 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm a shareholder in the company I work for, so I was happy to stay in contact with work during my mat leave. I used to take DD in with me for morning teas etc.

However for actual work questions I had a strict text me only policy. People would text letting me know they had a question for me and then when I could I would text them back to arrange a time to call. I never answered my phone from work unless it was prearranged. I really didn't get too many questions anyway.

It really is up to you how much contact you want to have during the time.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Sandra103  (19-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (18-02-2016)