+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My is 80 % full. But a new person decline rate runs x 10 faster than someone I know for a while.

I wish I could say a stranger has never hurt me. So while I am generally trusting it disappear in a puff of smoke very quickly

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Exactly. The OP didn't specify in what situation trust was to be earned.

Teachers/carers have a duty of care to their charges. We as citizens of the world have a duty of care to each other.
    I get where you're going with that but technically no we don't.

if your kid falls over at day care and cuts their head open on the concrete and it can be established the staff at the centre were negligent, they've failed in their duty of care to your kid.

if someone at the park asked me to keep an eye on their kid and the kid fell, I have no duty of care towards that child. I'm just a nobody.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (18-02-2016),harvs  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would agree with the pp's. I'm not completely cynical, I don't think everyone I meet will rob/harm me.
    But yes, I also feel it needs to be earned if your going to be very close to someone.
    So I guess it also depends on the role a person plays in your life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I get where you're going with that but technically no we don't.

if your kid falls over at day care and cuts their head open on the concrete and it can be established the staff at the centre were negligent, they've failed in their duty of care to your kid.

if someone at the park asked me to keep an eye on their kid and the kid fell, I have no duty of care towards that child. I'm just a nobody.
    I'd disagree with you. I often look out for other kids in playgrounds/playareas. If I can see a kid doing something dangerous I stop them.

But that's they way I was raised. Duty to each other, duty to country and duty to God.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (18-02-2016),harvs  (18-02-2016),LoveLivesHere  (18-02-2016),SSecret Squirrel  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd disagree with you. I often look out for other kids in playgrounds/playareas. If I can see a kid doing something dangerous I stop them.

But that's they way I was raised. Duty to each other, duty to country and duty to God.
    yes as a decent human being I would do the same. I'm just saying that same established legal duty of care is not there. that's all.

anyway I'm derailing the thread.

as you all were.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (18-02-2016),harvs  (18-02-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Sort of spinoff - is trust earned or assumed?

These answers are really interesting :-)

I have been thinking more about my OP. I guess I'm not thinking of trusting people 'to do' something that involves us - ie trust a childcare worker or a bank teller to do their job appropriately, just, trust that a stranger is a benevolent person with good intentions until otherwise proven, if that makes sense?

For example:
    Seeing a man sitting in a park watching children play as a man sitting in a park watching children play or a potential dodgy paedophile?

If someone walks towards you in a busy street do you clutch your bag closer to you or it wouldn't occur to you?

Do you assume that people are who they claim to be online?

That sort of thing. I know there are plenty of exceptions to any rule but where does your radar generally lie?

For me, I give full trust but I do rely strongly on my intuition.

ETA and I should say this is probably a self-defence mechanism. If I were second guessing people all the time my anxiety would go through the roof!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Adult to adult, i will generally assume trust and good intentions. I am a glass half full person. When it comes to my children, i show caution. I feel i have a good 'radar' and intuition. Trust needs to be earnt if you are having contact with my kids.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I trust most people. No random person has ever hurt or upset me.

I wouldn't leave my kids with other strangers but oh hang on.... I send my kids to school and daycare with the full expectation they will be OK.
    I'm the same. I tend to think the best as I've not really been given reason not to.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For example:
    Seeing a man sitting in a park watching children play as a man sitting in a park watching children play or a potential dodgy paedophile?

Dad, uncle or grandfather. Or just a harmless man enjoying kids playing.

If someone walks towards you in a busy street do you clutch your bag closer to you or it wouldn't occur to you?

Wouldn't occur to me at all. I'd smile at them.

Why wouldn't they be?

I trust my intuition. And I'm rarely wrong. But once my trust is gone it ain't coming back.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    - it depends. If it's a kids playground, there are no other 'single' adults around and he is watching the kids then yes I would probably have my guard up.

- totally depends on the person (make/female, appearance, what they appeared to be focused on).

- sometimes yes and sometimes no. I usually have a pretty good radar for whether someone is being reasonably honest. It would take a lot before I would consider meeting someone I met online though (if at all).

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-02-2016),LaDiDah  (18-02-2016)