+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 97 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Far out its such a vicious cycle. DD got sick. She's better now I'm sick. DH is also sick now. Hard not to get sick when a little person keep sneezing and coughing on your face. My throat is so sore
    @Gelati yeah I'm not sure how I feel yet about going back full time. I really love my day off with DD. But I've said I'll give it a go with full time and reassess in a couple of months. I suspect I can't last long working full time haha.

Wow! She can't say that. Teaching your kids to disobey you. I mean my parents are quite typical Asian. They think I'm 5 still and sometimes will throw comment like 'oh big girl now. You know how to talk back now. Just ignore me. My opinion isn't valued anymore' lol it's so annoying! But when it comes to me parenting my child, they are very respectful. My DD does seem feisty so sometimes dad chuckled and told me I've found my match. But he didn't mean it in a bad way. It was more a joke. I've talked to my parents about how I feel about certain style parenting. My parents are very typical Asian and I thought I would dislike some habit or value but turned out I saw how much love and patience they give my daughter. It's such a beautiful relationship. But more so they are awesome in helping me. If my parents say hurtful things like what your mum did, I think I would see them less. Sorry you have to experience it @Gelati

But hey my parents would say that about DD. Oh she's feisty. She yelled at me before. She is the naughty one etc. but at the same time they cuddle and kiss her like she's the funniest and most well behaved baby. I wonder if it's a generational thing?

DD has been sick for 5 days. Dad texted me everyday. This morning when they saw her gosh it was like they haven't seen her for years!

Haha I never got variety too when growing up. My lunch when I was baby was basically rice congee. Sorry that was lunch and dinner lol. And I love my food. I'm very adventurous with food and love all cuisine (well most anyway).

Yeah I tried asking for recommendation. The good one is full. So we are now looking again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Girls is it your sons birthday next month???
    @bbhope wow 1.5 hours. That's tough! I don't think I could last that long. Your son could be just one of the babies who has problem sleeping through. Hopefully as he grows older he is better. Have you heard of he lulla doll? Have a look into it. I have only heard good things about it.

Sometimes it isn't a good idea going in as they get upset seeing you but no cuddles. That's why sometimes cry it out works better as you don't go in at all. Having said that gosh it must be really hard to do it. We are so lucky. So lucky. Our DD is an awesome sleeper at home. When we are out its a different story but hey I don't complain.
    @bbhope DD naps for 5 hours today but she's sick so I told mum to just let her sleep. Hopefully she can still sleep through tonight. She went to bed at 8.15 pm tonight instead of 7.30 pm.

I think with your son being sick he might be catching up on his sleep during the day as he didn't sleep well at night. If you limit his day sleep, will that help his night sleep? I've never really limit any day sleep so we are still on average 3-4 hours a day but she's only 9 months old so a bit younger.
    @bbhope oh gosh birthdays already. Not sure what we are doing yet. What about you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib: DS was sleeping through for a good 3 months (with some off days). He just changed 3.5 weeks ago. I put down to sick and teething. Then, we created this co-sleeping habit. Guess what? I am going to jinx myself saying this.......he slept through the last 2 nights. Well, i called it sleeping through if we didn't have to get up dealing with him. Perhaps it is all development? He started proper crawling on all 4 yesterday and walking quite well on the walker as well. I guess i have a different definition of CIO. I also let DS cries a bit before going into his room and see if he would settle on his own first. FX that that's it for a while. I wonder why the development milestone affects some babies sleep more than others. Your DD doesn't seem to have such problem when she started rolling, crawling etc.

I know about the sickness! I am actually having a cold that has lasted 2.5 weeks now. Unless i got it on the flight, it is likely to be the same bacteria that has infected DS. I am not on antibiotic obviously so mgiht be the reason why it takes so long to recover. We had a similar long cold few months back when DS had the pneumonia. Again, bacteria infection.

Speaking of this, DS wheeze doesn't go away even though when he isn't very sick. I brought him to see a paed GP (new one) and he prescribed another course of antibiotic and steroid. I don't know what to feel about this. I feel like all drs just put medications in him rather than properly diagnosing. We agree to give him antibiotic to get rid of the left over bacteria but will skip the steroid for now.
    @Gelati: same as @Minib, i normally don't wake DS up from nap. He is constantly changing. Few weeks ago, he only slept for 2 hrs in total for nap. Now, 2--4 hrs is norm.

BTW, i just realize that BCG vaccination is not routinely done in Australia. This is strange because it is a mandatory vax in other countries. That's why it always seems pointless for us to do chest x-ray for visa because we were vaccinated from where we grew up. I might consider this given that the dr wants to do chest x-ray on DS to rule TB out given that he got the pneumonia after we travelled and he didn't seem to get well completely from it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh...birthday. My parents are planning to come over. We will just invite a few friends with kids to come over our house. That's it. Nothing big.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope in that case I think your son just needs some more love when he's sick. The poor boy has been sick a lot. I do believe with some new skills it can disrupt things like sleep.

Does your son use walker a lot? Not to alarm you or anything but my MCHN was very adamant about not using a walker. She said its not good and has been banned in other countries. Having said that some babies in my MG are still using it.

I don't know what steroid does. Could you ask another paed for opinion? Sometimes you have to keep pushing for an answer.

Oh I didn't know BCG isn't mandatory here. That surprised me too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Minib oh no yeh it's just a vicious cycle. How are you feeling? I take vitamin c now as soon as I feel ds could be coming down with something. Sleep certainly helps build our immune strength too. Unfortunately with a baby that can be hard. You're very lucky dd sleeps so well. Ds went through a bad patch since he dropped his night feed a few months ago. It was so inconsistent but then I realised it was cos he was sleeping over at my mums a few times a week and that seemed to be so bad for his sleep so now he sleeps overnight here 100% and his sleep has been good so far. Fingers crossed it lasts. But yeh when he's sick I don't worry about how much he sleeps during the day or if he wakes a lot at night.
    Your parents sound so nice. You're very lucky they are so supportive and encouraging. My step dad is so good with ds. He plays with him while my mum does the chores I think. Ds is always laughing and smiling at him being silly. My mum is usually really lovely to him but there are times I see glimpses of how she was with me when I was growing up. And I put a stop to it right away.

@bbhope oh steroids as well? Geez you can't seem to get a break with your doctors! Since he got diagnosed with the pneumonia I'm sure that makes you extra worried cos it wasn't picked up last time. Poor ds I hope the wheezing stops soon while on the antibiotics. Our gp is really laid back. He listens to ds chest but always diagnose that he doesn't need medication. So far he's been right with him but he's been very wrong with me. Once I had tonsillitis and he said there was nothing wrong with me and another time I needed antibiotics as I was getting worse but he said I was fine just a bad viral infection. Since I've changed drs to a lady who seems really good. But honestly go with your gut. You are his mum you know best I believe. Even tho the gp gives me a diagnosis I still do my own independent assessment and monitoring and yes lots of googling. Lol.
    I didn't realise about the vaccine. I do remember someone from my mother's group mentioning something about an extra vaccine to get that you need to pay for. Thanks for reminding me.

@Minib - yes almost 1 year old! We are going a bit all out for his first baby cos we really haven't had any celebrations since he was born. So really it will be allowing a chance for all friends and family to come and celebrate his birth and birthday. We are having his baptism in the morning and then hired out a hall next to a park. Eek still need to get invites out! What are you planning for dd?
    @bbhope that sounds nice to have family down to celebrate make sure you get lots of photos. Yay we've almost made it through 1 year! There was a time I didn't actually think I'd make it 😁😁

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib: oh ya, back to full time....I went back earlier than any of you and it turns out to be the one working the least. Well not my choice at this stage. I think it is good to give it a go and change it if you don't like it.

I have a hard deadline and I am already panicking. Working on and off when DS took the nap and might have to work this weekend as well. So much abou t working part time.

Thanks for letting me know. Yes I read about the walker. It is banned because it is a risk for injuries. We didn't let DS use it when he couldn't stand well and control the walker or know how to get down properly. For a while, he was walking by pushing the nappy box. I don't call it safe either. It can't be good for his back doing that. If the box is in vertical position, it isn't stable and ds would fall forward too. Basically, with the walker, he could just slip, fell and face planted to the floor. It is a progress for him. He started standing on it with me holding the walker. Then, able to walk with it on the carpet. The floor tile is too slippery and too fast for him to control. Now he has no trouble walking on the tile. He is cruising along the furniture. He will take the walker when he feels like it. Not pushing him on it. But I see him learning how to balance a lot faster with it, though. I got one with a detachable play set -- play music, talk etc. he was playing a lot wit it before using it as a walker.
    @Gelati: yes I feel like all GPs just throw any med. only one GP didn't do that. Anyway, we have made the decision of giving another course of antibiotic with the new GP script. Hold off steroid for now. Ds is actually running a fever again today. I really hope that it isn't the bacteria from me...I am still coughing non stop. It has been a while...I feel like the dr didn't prescribe the antibiotic long enough. Ds doesn't seem to get well before it runs out. Sigh.

Time flies.... almost one.

Will catch up more later this week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @bbhope I have also heard walkers are no good. Any kind of walking (eg even you holding their hands and walking with them) is bad. Something about them not being able to balance on their own so if they are walking it does something to their joints. From a psychological point of view they said a baby will walk when they are both physically and mentally ready. If they learn to walk before they are mentally ready, they are more likely to hurt themselves. Maybe also that's why skipping steps might be dangerous as ds hurts himself constantly after leading to lift himself up and stand and he learns but if he went straight to walking he'd not have those learnt dangers just from standing and would be straight into a higher risk task. That's what I've read.

Speaking of illness ds has come down with his highest fever yet. 38.6! I've given him Panadol but the symptoms are usually 1 day delayed so we will see tmr. Hope it's nothing serious. Poor babies, Childcare is relentless! And cos he goes early in the morning now, in the first hr it's all different ages in the same room (7-8am) so he would be exposed to more germs. How is your ds now? Has he completely recovered?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Gelati I'm feeling much better but I'm taking cold and flu tablet.

Since DD got sick it seems that she hates to be on her back lying down unless she's sleeping. So nappy change and dressing her are hard work now. She throws a whole body tantrum and screams. Geez.

Dad told me today my DD lost balance and stumbled so hurt herself a little bit. She cried. Then she stopped crying and saw my dad and cried again as if yelling dad to ask how could he not look after her properly. Lol so funny.
    @Gelati nice!!! Wish we could be bothered organising a big party haha. I think we might just have a morning tea with family and some close friends at home. 3 more months for us so plenty of time to plan if we change our mind.
    @bbhope haha I never think working part time means part time hours. I put in more hours than what I'm paid for. But my work is good to me and at certain level it is expected to work more hours I guess?
    @Gelati oh wow that's high! DD hit 38.7 and that's when I gave her Panadol. My GP said try not to give Panadol for anything under 38.5. For anything over 38.5 he said to make a call on how miserable the baby is. Treat the symptom not the number. My DD is on antibiotic. Did I tell you girls? She had a cold which turned into middle ear infection as she couldn't drain it properly. Feeding her antibiotic is painful. She cries and cries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Re cc, how many babies in the room? I've been looking at cc again and I can't believe some cc have up to 16 babies in one room. That's a lot of babies! Must be super chaotic in there