+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 97 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @bbhope has there been another of those crying episode? Hopefully they weren't night terror.

Why is it impossible to apply the aspirator? Does he move around too much or crying? When DH is home too can he hold DS down while you apply it?

Cool. I'll wait for DD to drop a feed herself. Right now we feed at 7.30, 10.30, 1, 4, 7 and dream feed at 10.30

I was told always milk first then half an hour later solid. But a friend gave solid first for lunch then milk if her baby wanted it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS resisted too much. He wanted to eat it and we didn't let him. Lol.

No another episode. I hope not anytime soon.

Yes milk first is recommended but a lot of friends are doing solid first. DS is so used to bottle now so giving him solid first if e is hungry, he won't be happy. We are slowly changing the habit. Ie. Sometime solid first if he isn't super hungry. He needs to get used to eating solid at some point. For us, the motivation is stronger because it helps with his reflux. I think 5 feeds is still recommended until 8 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he resists too much, you might need DH to hold him down while you do it.

Good to hear no more episode of night terror.

Have you called ngala??

Just keep trying then. Eventually he will get used to solid. Have you tried mixing more flavour? He might like that? Meat and vegetables or fish and veg?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We r conservative. There are still a lot of veges and fruits to try out first. DH isn't keen to start DS on meat anytime soon. He is ok eating solid before milk every now and then. More like swallowing everything because he was hungry than really enjoying the food. Lol. So far only mix pear, Apple and banana. Vege always go with rice cereal. Yesterday, he had a reaction (rash on face soon after). So we have to check if he is allergic to banana now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope I've asked my friend about the private sleep consultant. So my friends weren't very against cc but they wanted a softer version. I thought it wasn't cc but it's still cc. The method they used :
    Tuck baby in, say it's time to sleep DS. It's bedtime. Good night. Kiss then walk out
    Baby cries. 3 mins. Walk in. Repeat process. Tuck baby in etc. walk out
    Baby cries. This time 6 mins. Walk in. Repeat process.
    Then max 8 mins interval.

When calming baby down can cuddle but no more than 1 min. It worked for them within 1 night.

I just had another friend who had a colic baby and tried some form of cc too. It works as well.

But I think you are right. To sleep train it does involve some kind of crying. Some people don't say it's cc some say it is but babies will cry. Lots of people say they will cry in the cot or your arms anyway so it's not bad. It know there are various views on sleep training.

It might not work for you and DS though. I guess if you really want to try some form of cc maybe best to try it at ngala because then at least you know you are doing it right. It will also help you stay strong and don't deviate.

Oh no that's not good re rash. was it the banana??

I feel so bad for you as it seems like one thing after another. Colic, wind problem, formula, sleep, now solids. It's just never ending. With so many things to tackle you might need to pick your battle and solve one issue at a time.
    @Gelati how's DS now??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps there's nothing wrong about being conservative on introducing solids. With your DS I understand your reservation to give him different varieties of food. He has plenty of time to taste different food. No rush.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib: Same reaction today. We only mixed banana to the pear. He isn't allergic to pear so it must be the banana then.

What your friend did with the sleep consultant is exactly CC. It is the original version not the soft version from what i read online. She is lucky that it only takes one day. It didn't work for my friend's bub for 7 days straight. It must be horrible to hear the crying. Sending DS to sleep isn't the problem for us but to fall asleep again without the dummy when he wakes up during the night. I don't think CC is really going to work with dummy.

DS colic issue has been solved so I feel more comfortable about doing proper sleep training now. I just need DH to come on board. He still thinks it is not good for the baby psychologically. i think that's why the don't recommend for babies younger than 6 months. By 6 months, they suppose to know more what's going on around them and emotionally more mature. Anyway, i guess no one wants to do CC until the last resort.

Are you looking forward to start solid?
    @Gelati: yes, how is dS doing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is cc but I think some are more hard core as in more crying time. The one I read is up to 20 mins crying interval. That's a long time. I don't think I could handle that.

7 days is a long time poor baby. Most people I know said it works within 3-4 days. Although 7 days of hard work to get a good sleeper isn't that bad in my opinion. This is just my opinion though. I know some parents don't believe in crying at all and that's ok. Everyone is different.

Sounds like your DS can't self settle if he wakes and can't find the dummy. It is hard if he can't put it in himself so I'm not sure if cc and dummy will work together. Might need to ask ngala about that? I'm sure they have seen it all. There must be lots of tough cases they have to work with.

Yeah lots of research on cc bad for baby younger than 6 months. But for me personally, mums sanity is also important. If the mum can put up with it, then that's good. If not, a bit of cc won't traumatise the baby for life. What I'm trying to say is baby won't remember this long term and still love the parents. I might be wrong as i didn't read a lot of research. That's just based on my gut feel.

I'm excited about starting solid but not sure if DD is haha. I've given her pear to lick and suck a few times. She looked confused lol. We will give pumpkin a go first. Then pear. If she is taking it, I will start mixing stuff including meat and fish when she's about 5 months-ish.

Have you managed to pin point it is banana?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib: Everyone has different philosophy about sleep training. It is about the comfort zone. DH isn't keen because he reads that distress crying increases stress hormone in the brain. Babies go quiet not because they learn how to self settle but to go into survival mode. The analogy that is used in the study is animal. Animals call for their parents. After no response for a while, they stop calling, go into survival mode so no predator will come after them. I personally think that babies younger than 6 months have no sense of what's going on. But once they reach 6 months, they actually understand it a lot more. So i don't know if the survival mode thing really applies. I think the parents know the baby very well about the cry. A bit of complain/protest crying is OK for me. It usually doesn't go for a min or two anyway. Ngala doesn't promote letting baby to cry in distress so i guess they don't do strict CC.

yes, DS has the problem to re-settle to sleep. I think it might just be a habit. He is waiting for us to put the dummy back in rather than trying to figure it out himself. I was hoping that he would replace the dummy with comforter. Sometime he would fall back to sleep with the comforter, sometime he won't. Ngala just told me to train him to find the pacifier himself with the clip on.

I am not sure if it is banana or something else. My friend did warn me about the effect of banana because her son didn't poop for a week! Somehow it just clogged up the digestive system. DS wasn't in good appetite after that yesterday.

Also, he vomited all over himself in the cot last night. DH didn't even find out until midnight when he went in and touched the wet bed linen. A big mess. He is also not in good appetite today. He drank every 5 hrs. Not full feed as well. He slept a lot. 2x2 hrs nap (very unusual). AND he just did another loose poo. I really hope that this is not the real gastro going on here! Thanks to daycare......a blessing and a curse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    True. It's about what you are comfortable with. And unless your DH is also on board it's not much you can do. I have heard about the psychological impact for babies under 6 months. Just like you said. They stop calling because they think it's a waste of time. Protest crying can escalate too so just need to pay attention to the different cry. Ngala sounds great when they don't force you to do cc.

Have you tried the clip on? I've seen them on babies. Thought it's a pretty good ideas.

I would not never think banana cause constipation. Always thought it will help poo but I'm obviously wrong.

It does sound like your ds is unwell. Just going through the ABC fluid in fluid out rules. Do you think it's worth taking him to the doctor?

I hope he's just having an off day and back to normal tomorrow though. Poor bubba can't quite catch a break.