+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS is one of those babies who needs to learn sleeping skill. I don't think routine really matter for DS. His nap pattern is more like an "evolution". I went with the flow in the end. I remember the 2 weeks sleep training (after coming back from Ngala) over the christmas break was stressful and it didn't work. DS just wasnt mentally ready. Then, bouncer with pat and shoosh. Just a few weeks ago, I noticed that he was ready to go back to his cot and self settle (with dummy and comforter). He has been napping in his cot since. Yes, he protests (crying) sometime and I keep on checking him. A bit like controlled crying except i don't do the timing, which is what controlled crying is about. I go back in to put his dummy back in etc. If he is tired enough, he falls asleep. This is when we finally see the pattern of his schedule. Ya, he is not a textbook case. I don't go in straight away either but most of the time he wakes up crying (unhappy). I suspect he hasn't had enough but sometime he won't fall back to nap.

He knew how to sleep at night since 9w old. Pat and shoosh until 3.5 months. Then, self settle for night sleep since 3.5 months. Again, with dummy. Somehow he learns it earlier than nap. It is just staying asleep without aid is the problem now. I sometime wait for a few seconds to see if he would go back to sleep before going in helping. On the other hand, I kinda wish to let him protest (crying) just a little but it would disturb DH sleeping and the neighbours. For a while, it is all wishful thinking that he would learn the skill when he gets older. It just seems to get worse with the night sleep. Perhaps when he learned how to put the dummy back in correctly.
    @Gelati: yes mucus is what bothered me as well. Perhaps your dS stomach is still sensitive, that's why there is mucus in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope why don't you get a private sleep consultant instead? They will come to your house and assess everything. It's also good because it's your own environment. It's not covered by private health obviously but it might be worth looking into it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know....It costs a grand or more. Money buying us sleep. Yes, very tempting. A colleague gave us a name. But the priv sleep consultants are all doing controlled crying, which DH doesnt want to do it. Also, I have heard that they will tell you straight out not wasting their time if you don't want to follow it through. Ngala will only do something within our comfort zone. They help you through the night. I don't think priv sleep consultant does that.

In any case, our experience is that it won't work until DS is mentally ready. I am keen to know what technique Ngala can offer because they don't suggest me to wean DS off dummy until 2 yrs old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah my friend gave me a name. $850. She doesn't use controlled crying. I'm not sure what method but there are def consultants out there that don't use controlled crying.

Is ngala covered by phi? I think that seems like a go-er? But your DH would need to be comfortable about sending DS to sleep school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my bestie is friends with a sleep consultant she does a free phone call I think first... Has travelled the world...apparently is really good

www.mynewborn.com.au

And has a fairly active FB page

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm day 31 today... So just waiting for the uterus to "release the hounds"

Then it's on like donkey kong for FET

Weigh in tomorrow really hoping I'm down to my goal of 10kg loss

I also have a secret hope that maybe just maybe DH was home in time for OV... Who knows!

My previous cycles since treatment have been 42 then 36 days

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's any day now then @Tanej78. Come on AF show your ugly face already so we can get this FET started. Then i hope AF will bugger off for 10 months. When is DH due to be back @Tanej78?

Good luck for the weigh in tomorrow! Hope to hear the good news -10kg weight loss

Thanks
    Reviews
    @tenaj78: hope aF shows its face soon. Hope you found someone to do the full dose of intralipid this time around. Thanks for the link.
    @Minib: do you think your friend will share? I am curious. I am surprised to know a sleep consultant who doesn't use CC. Ngala is covered by PHI. I just have to pay the hospital excess. Considered DS will miss 2 days day care and excess, it will be $500+ anyway. However, I can follow up with them free of charge. I have done that in the past.

Hahaha.....I'll be back full time and DH will be on night shift on weekdays with 2 days daytime break to catch up sleep when DS is at daycare. I am sending him to daycare twice a week after we come back so DH can work from home. Trust me, he will come on board with the sleep school soon enough. He is already complaining when taking shift 3 nights in a roll. Imagining i was doing 7 days a week since DS was 7w old until i returned to work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib - no i don't think that counts as control crying if it's only a couple of minutes. With ds we let him cry when it was a scream then silence, scream then silence and eventually he would fall asleep himself with no dummy but as soon as it was a continuous cry i went in and soothed him. Sometimes had to give a dummy but i thought as long as he sometimes goes with a dummy and sometimes without he's ok. He always lets me pull out the dummy once he's asleep. Even if he wakes up after i pull out the dmmy he'll just go back to sleep. Every baby is different tho and you know your own baby. With ds i know the dummy isn't hindering his sleep because he just needs it to calm himself down when he can't himself. He doesn't actually need to suck on it while sleeping. If it was causing sleeping problems like him waking up everytime it fell out then i would get rid of it like minib.
    @bbhope - i think by 6 months ds would be ready for sleep training. How you train is whatever you are comfortable with but yeh def needs to learn how to sleep on his own. Hopefully hubby comes around soon enough I couldn't do controlled crying or even let them protest scream by myself so i would enroll into sleep school cos i'd be nervous i was doing it wrong.
    @Tanej78 - goodluck with the weigh in and it sounds like things will be starting soon! when does day 1 need to be in order for hubby to be around? Now that LB has fixed up the dodgy job your last FS did i'm feeling good about this round

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think controlled crying is the last resort for all parents. It takes gut to do it. For DS, it is more like falling back to sleep on his own is the key. He has no trouble falling asleep on his own for nap and evening sleep now at the beginning.

He "kindly" reminded me that CC won't work on him. LOL. Recently, DS has had episode of night terror. He had another one last night. No way under any circumstance that controlled crying would work in this case. I would feel terrible not to do anything when that happens. I think DS protest crying is more like a whinny cry. Not the screaming type. Actually, we haven't brought him out for a while so i wonder if he still needs pat on the forehead and shoosh to sleep in the pram now.

I am going to ask around on BH about night terror. This is new to us. I don't recall when exactly this started. When it happened few weeks ago, DH was so upset thinking DS was being ridiculous. I thought DS just had a nightmare. It is quite different than the reflux scream that he had when he was younger. It is a very strange behaviour and it is rather scary. I described that to a friend and that's what she thinks it is. Her son experience that as well.