+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sleep is really a development thing. My friend jokes with me that it goes as a cycle. Just when you think you have figured it out, it comes something to disrupt it again. DS will get his vax next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Gelati how do you know your milk supply has reduced?

So I've been trying a few things for the last 3 days. I stopped BF directly because I questioned my supply too much. I pumped and feed her. This way I'm more confident knowing she's full. Because of this I don't feed every time she wakes up too. I have managed to drag the feed to every 3-4 hours as well. After a 45 min nap, I try to resettle her and sometimes she will sleep again for another 45 mins. Sometimes I just pick her up and we play until next feed time. I was thinking maybe she doesn't want to sleep that long anymore and wants to play more. She hasn't had a long stretch of sleep during the day. Longest 1.5hours but then last night she slept from 8-7 with no feed overnight. The night before 8.30-5. I will see how she goes tonight. She's had plenty of cuddles in the last 2 days too. Yesterday she had a big tummyache. Poor darling did a big poo but after lots of tears. So maybe she tired herself out yesterday and the big sleep overnight.

I have also started my day at 7.30 now. If she doesn't wake around 7.30 I will wake her up. This way I can manage the day better and bring routine back. Sick of the not knowing when she will get up and feed. Now if she's up, she's up we play until I know she's tired again or feeding time.

It's rather confusing as sleep promotes sleep yet how much sleep exactly does a baby need? Maybe I'm being unreasonable expecting her to sleep as much as she did few weeks ago. She's so alert now and just want to look around heaps.

To be controversial, my MHN said teething doesn't cause fever. If Bub has fever it's caused by bug not teething. She said on average baby catches bug once a month. Sometimes fever, sometimes just grizzly etc.

My Bub is drooling heaps too! I read it's common as she can't swallow that much saliva and can't control it yet.

At the mothers group we discussed feeding and sleeping. I always thought formula baby sleep better but not really. One baby sleeps 8-7 since he was 7 weeks old and he's exclusively formula fed. Then few others keep waking up every 3-4 hours. And a few others are dream baby feed and sleep well. But everyone seem to have slightly different method so I guess we just have to adapt to each baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree sleep is development. But also agree it can change anytime lol. There is never one night I go to bed thinking ah I can sleep until 3 am. I always think she can get up anytime. My sleep is never the same since this baby b

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @bbhope yes now i'm the same as you. you are right, i never thot i could put bub down without a feed though. I thought he would just protest! but today he didn't. Went down happily without a feed after a play. I know ds doesn't have reflux but maybe i was feeding him too often nonetheless. That can't be a good thing. No wonder i felt like i was always forcing food down him. Now with the 3-4 hrs he feeds very well. No fuss and stops at around the 130-140ml mark. With his weight he only needs 130ml per feed if he feeds 6 times a day. I'm going to try keep his number of feeds to 5-6 times a day. MHN also said don't worry about the wake eat sleep routine if he's catnapping. The important thing is to get the self soothing thing down and the feeding thing down. No snacking. See how i go.
    @Minib - yes maybe our bubs only need catnaps now? cos they want to play? I'm going to try do what MHN has told me to do and see how i go. Feeding too frequently can't be good for his sleep. Wow your dd sleeps fantastic overnight. I wouldn't worry about the daytime catnaps if she's sleeping so well overnight. Is she self soothing now? i can't wait until ds sleeps a bit better overnight. He's regressed a little...rarely sleeps through these days. Hopefully with me feeding less he is a bit more settled.

aw poor thing. But she's not constipated right? i wonder why it hurts her so much. How often is she pooping now? ds missed a day of pooping as well and did 2 massive ones the next day. So far no poo today either. Maybe it's cos i'm feeding more formula or maybe he's just growing up and doesn't need to poo multiple times a day.

The new routine is much easier on me too. Not trying to battle him feeding all the time and less bottles to wash and it's better for my pumping routine. That's interesting about the teething comment. Not every baby seems to get fever when teething. I don't think bubs is teething just yet. though he is biting things a lot. Maybe not long till he teeths. Bub is now 55cm long and his head is still in the 90th percentile. lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It will drive me bonker if i have to battle with feed and nap. I struggle everyday to put dS down for nap. I only feed him 5x a day. 6x at the babysitter. With a feeding schedule, it is very easy to bring him out and i don't need second guessing. We go out as soon as he is fed. DS is drinking 120--150ml. I don't know how babysitter and day carer can get him to drink 150ml every time! Normally, he will drink 120ml with few occasion of 150ml.

Every baby is different. As you can see here on this thread, sleep pattern is all over the place. It doesn't matter one is formula fed or breastfed. Totally agree with you @Minib. Despite DS sleeps well sometime, i don't because i would be awake thinking he would be up any min.

Also, it is hard to compare. A lot of breastfeeding moms that i know feed baby to sleep. A lot of them sleep through the night at this age. As much as i want DS to sleep through the night, I don't force DS to do it because i know very well that he will drop the feed when he is ready. He dropped his night feed frequency by himself. We didn't do anything about it. I resettle him if he is up an hour after a night feed. I don't feed everytime he wakes up at night. I think this will create sleep problem down the track.
    Last edited by bbhope; 19-02-2016 at 16:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well she's been sleeping for over an hour now so let's hope she can still sleep through tonight. I don't know if last night was the beginning of beautiful sleep routine or just a one off. Who knows lol.

She self settles so well at night. During the day maybe she just doesn't want to sleep that long. Don't know. I just play with her and tire her out. I read a couple books, sang a few songs, did leg exercises, do silly faces and had a long chat with her when she wakes. It does mean I can't get anything done. But I think she's also so used to having me there with her all the time that she doesn't really enjoy her own time lol. She wants company a lot.

Gelati that's why I decided to stop BF direct 3 days ago and not let her snack. Feeding was such an issue before that. Yesterday was still hard because Of the tummyache but today has been so easy and she's been hungry. I do think the 7 am feed i might go back to BF. It's very hard otherwise when the boobs are so full and I might not get a chance to pump until 9 am or otherwise have to be early at 6. But when i already woke at 2 am to pump, I feel like I hardly get any sleep.

According to what paed and MHN told me, she's not constipated but in my view she is. She was straining for 2 days before she actually did a poo. Surely that's constipation? Her poo was still soft though. But it was 4 days in between poo

How funny gelati that these past few days we've been trying the same thing. No snacking. No feeding every time they wake up lol. I am also limiting to 6 feed a day. Today she's had 4 feeds and will have another one around 7 and hopefully not until 6-7 am tomorrow morning.

lol your DS does have a big head hehe.

Are your sons still in the pram bassinet ladies??

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's what I want to bring back bbhope. Knowing the feeding time roughly so I can plan my day better. I also go out straight after feeding if it's on my own. But when it's meeting others I often get caught out with the timing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope agree with you. Won't force ds out of the night feed if he needs it. He will drop it on his own. He only wakes once at night so it's really not even an issue. Yup every baby is different with sleep it seems regardless of breastfeeding. Though i've noticed those with lots of milk seem to have lovely sleeping babies that sleep through the night consistently. I heard breastmilk has small amounts of melatonin in it to help them sleep. it also has something in it that helps them poo which is why breastfed babies are never constipated.
    @Minib - yeh funny how we've been doing the same thing. I just felt there was something wrong with his sleep and trying to find a reason. I tried to get ds really tired each time and it didn't seem to have a consistent difference. Today after trying what the MHN said he slept 1.5 hrs in the late afternoon. Sleep promotes sleep so i'm hoping this makes a difference but if he still wakes at night then so be it. It's only once and it's lovely bonding time as it's one of two times he breastfeeds.

He seems happier now with this feed routine and also me not forcing him to stay awake 1.5 hrs. Just let him sleep and if he catnaps i let him play until he;s tired and put him down again.

I heard it's normal for bubs to not go daily but then if she's so upset then maybe she does need to go more often? When DS doesn't go for a day he doesn't cry to go the next day so that's why i'm thinking your daughter does need to go more regularly. It's so hard when all the drs tell you it's normal tho isn't it? sigh.

Yes ds still in the bassinet in the pram but now sleeping in cot. He won't last long in the pram bassinet as he's getting really tall. Oops i meant 65cm now not 55cm. haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope agree with you. Won't force ds out of the night feed if he needs it. He will drop it on his own. He only wakes once at night so it's really not even an issue. Yup every baby is different with sleep it seems regardless of breastfeeding. Though i've noticed those with lots of milk seem to have lovely sleeping babies that sleep through the night consistently. I heard breastmilk has small amounts of melatonin in it to help them sleep. it also has something in it that helps them poo which is why breastfed babies are never constipated.
    @Minib - yeh funny how we've been doing the same thing. I just felt there was something wrong with his sleep and trying to find a reason. I tried to get ds really tired each time and it didn't seem to have a consistent difference. Today after trying what the MHN said he slept 1.5 hrs in the late afternoon. Sleep promotes sleep so i'm hoping this makes a difference but if he still wakes at night then so be it. It's only once and it's lovely bonding time as it's one of two times he breastfeeds.

He seems happier now with this feed routine and also me not forcing him to stay awake 1.5 hrs. Just let him sleep and if he catnaps i let him play until he;s tired and put him down again.

I heard it's normal for bubs to not go daily but then if she's so upset then maybe she does need to go more often? When DS doesn't go for a day he doesn't cry to go the next day so that's why i'm thinking your daughter does need to go more regularly. It's so hard when all the drs tell you it's normal tho isn't it? sigh.

Yes ds still in the bassinet in the pram but now sleeping in cot. He won't last long in the pram bassinet as he's getting really tall. Oops i meant 65cm now not 55cm. haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Gelati def don't drop the feed. I haven't dropped any feed yet. If DD wakes at 3 am I assume she's hungry. Every time I feed her at that time, she finishes her bottle. I would think she's hungry given she has slept for 6-7 hours before that. I don't dare to settle her without a feed as it could make the night worse lol. But if she doesn't wake up I won't wake her.

So tonight we got home at 5 and I put her for a nap but turned out she wanted a big sleep. At 7.30 pm I woke her to feed her and let her have the big sleep. Fingers crossed she wakes up at 7 am! Lol probably won't happen.

BM def help babies to sleep. That's why they fall asleep on the boob a lot. But I also heard that BM is easily digestible means they can get hungry easier? Because BM is easily digestible it doesn't matter if babies don't poo daily. They just digest everything. On formula though, they should poo daily. What happens if they are mixed feeding?? I don't know!

When you BF gelati, do you feel sleepy? My MHN told me both mums and bubs can feel sleepy when BF as it releases something.

How's your night so far ladies?

Our pram bassinet isn't that big. Seriously DD has almost outgrown it and she's only 11 weeks. I don't think we can wait until she's 4 months old even. I need to check the other seat as it might not recline enough for her. She can't sit up yet.

I still think she's constipated even when the experts said no. To help her, plenty of fibre food but she's not on solid yet. So for now, I drink prune juice, eat plenty of fruits, drink plenty of water hoping I could pass some via my BM. Needless to say I have no bowel issue hahaha.