+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 96 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @bbhope poor Bub. It's so frustrating when you don't know how to make them feel better and doctors can't help. I'm feeling like that at the moment. After giving the new tin Bub only went once and then no poo since 2pm yesterday until this morning. He slept from 10-7:30 so we thot maybe he was on the mend. He had poo this morning when he woke up and it was pretty thick but still green. After his first feed he did another poo and it was green but not watery. Looked like it was getting no better but then after his second feed he did another one and it was a small diarrhoea so no idea what's going on. No mustard poo for a week now see how the rest of today goes.

@Minib it sounds like your daughter just does poos every few days and that's normal for her. Especially if she is mainly having breastmilk. Good to hear she's better now. How are you feeling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Gelati: I don't think green is necessary bad if he has more iron in the diet. DS poo was green when he was on the HA. Liquid is a different story, though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope I would have thot it would be more mustard as he is having my breastmilk and formula and maybe 30% rice water. I've noticed he gets red around his eyebrows and eyes when he drinks these days but then they go away after drinking. I can't remember if he used to get that. I think he did maybe from sucking it I'm now doubting myself and think he may have milk protein allergy. Apparently rashes and vomiting will develop after a couple of weeks.

Oh he just did another diarrhoea. I'm thinking it is allergy now :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    did u change your diet lately? If it is milk protein allergy, your DS would be as colicky as my DS from the start. That's what i heard from moms with cow milk allergy baby. DS has never enjoyed his milk, like something is upsetting his stomach when he drinks. He has mild eczema, though. Perhaps eliminate dairy from your diet for now? I find it strange that if he develops the allergy now but not before. Same situation as DS, why lactose intolerance now?

Can it be lactose overload due to foremilk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope - I read that an allergy can develop at any time. Maybe he did have gastro and that has caused a temporary lactose intolerance? He's not colicky tho and still loves his food. Drinks like a maniac. Nothing new in my diet either. I guess I just stick with it and get his poo tested on Tuesday. Did you say you can't test for milk protein allergy? I thot you can do blood test or test the poo?

Ds has been on and off the formula this week so maybe that's why he hasn't developed full symptoms yet. No eczema or any other rashes yet. Maybe if I keep him on it for a few days other symptoms will appear. Do you think I should switch to ha? I'm thinking maybe I should wait for the dr appointment before doing anything.

I read that babies rarely have lactose intolerance but it does happen. Also maybe like with gastro that causes temporary lactose intolerance that's what's happened with your son? He had a sensitive stomach now so needs somethings gentler? Could you go back to lactose free until your son has normal poo's and then wait for a little bit and switch back to ha? I'm not sure what I should atm but thinking of keep giving formula until appointment on tue although my mum says I should stop the formula now cos it's not good to just keep giving it to him for 2 more days. Should I just try ha? @Minib when you switched to ha did dd have any reactions due to the switch?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The lactose free formula does ease diarrhea if lactose intolerance is the cause. You could be right because the label also says that it is good for recovering from stomach bug. It is not recommended for long term use.

Actually, we have already started mixing the formula today. ie, lactose free + normal formula. We don't like to switch cold turkey because it is really hard on their tummy. When we switched to 4:1 ratio last time, DS poo was rock solid. I thought it was the effect of rice cereal but nope. It became normal afterward. Lactose free formula certainly dries it up. I don't know if we introduce the normal formula too quick and thus the upset this time. We did the transition but ran out the nan LI quicker than we thought so instead of 3 days mixing, we only did one day.

Yes, you can't test for milk protein allergy. The only way to find out is experimenting with formula. Thus, we tried the allerpro. As you knew, we didn't get too far with that one. We thought it was coincidence with the diarrhea. As soon as we started lactose free, he was back to once a day pooping with normal texture.

If i were you, i would stop feeding the formula assuming you breast milk is enough. It is another two days, I won't do HA now because it will take another few days for his system to adjust. Diarrhea for a day or two is expected when you switch formula so you might well wait until then. We know the drill but DS is having diarrhea more than what it should be for switching formula. He has mucus and is very gassy as well. By the way, HA wont help if he has cow milk protein allergy. I honestly don't know what kind of allergy that HA can help. We hate these special formula because they dont' keep DS full for longer than 3 hrs. 100% whey dominant.

The poo testing will only rule out virus or bacteria. If bacteria, he needs to get on antibiotic. DS poo came back clear so no idea why all the sudden with frequent pooping and mucus on nan comfort.
    Last edited by bbhope; 27-03-2016 at 17:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope I don't think ha is not meant to keep them as full right? Minib is on ha and seems to keep her full. My friend was on prescription formula and she said it also kept her son full. Have you thought of going on prescription formula? That is only if your son has full milk protein allergy.

Ha probably only works if you have a mild allergy. I'm not even sure if that's what ds has. And it's so weird sometimes I feel like it's getting better then he gets diarrhoea. Is that usual for allergy? I thot it would be more consistent than that.

I think you're right I will stick with it. I really don't want to switch formula unless I really have to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have enough breastmilk. Only 450 per day so topping up with rice water. Last 2 days has been 4 poo's a day. 2x diarrhoea other two is green but normal texture

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Gelati: HA and allerpro all have 100% whey no casein. Our observation is that it didn't keep DS full longer than 3hrs. He screamed hungry so often on those. it is very watery when you make it. As for prescription, we don't know if we wanna try. In DS case, HA did better than allerpro because it didn't give DS severe diarrhea! So allerpro seems to make the matter worse. It is meant for cow milk allergy.

I really don't know.....lactose free seems to work best so far. But short term solution. I will see what the paed says on wed. DS butt is so red that he screams when we wipes now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Allergy has more severe effect than just diarrhoea. Like very colicky (gas!). DS has it. At the moment, he is farting like crazy.