+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 97 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We stopped feeding DS the rice cereal. I read the reason for rice cereal is that it contains high iron which babies need after 6 months. They have enough of iron stored being in the womb until 6 months. He poo has been partly solid form but not dry (sticky paste). I will have to ask the CHN to make sure this is normal with the start of solid. I tried to feed him carrot puree today. He is so fussy with the milk and quite happy with the solid! Of course, started crying when he had enough.

DS didn't really sleep last night. I don't know what's up. Perhaps the gas. He was quite gassy again this morning. We are doing something a bit stupid at the moment. To prevent him getting constipation, we mix the current formula with the HA again. Because HA formula seems to give him runny poo. Of course, any change in formula will upset his stomach. I thought baby gut would be more mature by now and can handle the change better. Obviously not. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the poo. It still has solid part. Anyway, back to using the lactose free only. We don't know if we should try the allerpro formula. I feel like if we don't try, we don't know if DS has cow milk allergy. We have a month to give that a go and switch to something else. I dont want to do any experiment when we are about to travel. If we try allerpro, it would be stinky and watery poo again. It will make the reflux worse for sure. Sigh.....i didn't get any sleep last night at all.

And talking about weaning DS off pacifier. I think it will be VERY dificult in our case. We shut him up so much with that. He depends on it now. This afternoon while i was driving, he wanted to sleep, did his usual fussing before sleeping. Pacifier came off and he kept crying until i found a convenient place to pull over. Put in the pacifier and he fell asleep instantly. Grr....

Also, what's up with him only falls asleep with the comforter covers his face!? This is new!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Poor DS @bbhope formula is also so hard isn't it. Wish formula was easy but sometimes it is as hard to find the right one. BF is hard. Formula can be hard too. People think it's easy but not every baby accept any kind of formula.

My friends baby tried allerpro. It was good for them as baby was allergic to cows milk.

How were the last few nights? Was it better? Hope everyone got some sleep.

Don't worry about the dummy. Just keep using it for now. You can give it up to father Xmas in December. I learned some tricks from friends on how to give up dummy but we don't have to do that now.

My DD cries a lot in the car now!! Sometimes I wish we use dummy. She hates car ride!! Don't know what happened. She used to love it. Now she will cry and cry.

Lol babies have so many new skills every week. My DD is now learning to roll from back to tummy and vice versa. She started from tummy to back. Never did it on her own I had to help. But now she decided she's learning to roll from back to tummy instead. Haven't been successful obviously. I had to help.
    @Gelati how are things??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @bbhope i enjoy mother's group. Something to look forward to and something to do. if you find someone judgemental then like minib said just move onto someone else. There are lots of people in the group so you are bound to find someone who you get along with. So far i haven't met anyone judgemental. Hope you enjoy your experience too.

What formula are you currently on? has this been the best one so far? but still reflux yeh? Gosh it's been such a battle for you and ds. I really hope the allepro can give you some relief. i really thought reflux would stop by 5 months.

I don't think pacifier is a problem unless you start finding that they can't sleep without it or cry when it falls out. That causes more trouble than it fixes. I think getting rid of it will be tough....maybe just small steps as you are still battling reflux and other issues. Just try to get him to the stage where he can still sleep if it falls out so maybe give it to him until he calms down and falls asleep and try to take it out? There may even be a few times where he falls asleep without it in. Anytime is considered a win.

hehe @Minib - give it up to santa. Gosh that would be when they are 2 or 3 years old! although i would much rather dummy than thumb sucking. ds is the biggest thumb sucker.
    @Minib your daughter has beaten my son. ds still hasn't rolled from back to tummy! he's a bit slow i think hehe. oh no re: car seat. I wonder why that is? i've heard if you give them a toy it can help. Have you tried that?

we are doing well. Ds is sleeping well overnight. i've started both arms unswaddled since ysterday (only during the day) and it's been a bit rough during the day. Only catnaps. he was so tired by the end of the day he slept 9-7 last night! Today his third nap was the first time he slept longer than a catnap unswaddled. did 2.5 hrs!! So slowly but surely. At night i still leave one arm out. Hope that doesn't confuse him but that's what we did with the one arm out. Both arms swaddled at night until he was comfortable during the day with one arm out.

ds will stay awake for 3 hrs when we are out now. he hasnt really fallen asleep in the pram for awhile now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Formula is easy if there are no medical conditions like cow milk allergy, lactose problem, colic etc. I don't know if the current formula is the best because each creates a new set of problems. Ya, I reckon if DS fusses on Allerpro, it just basically means that he hates milk. They all taste nasty. Allepro will make reflux worse because just like the HA, very watery. The current one certainly reduces his morning hrs gas problem. He loves solid especially carrot purée.

Lol. I don't think they will know about Santa by the age of 1. Well, dummy certainly has now become a problem for us. It was introduced for the intention of helping with his reflux and stopping from drinking milk like crazy before 3hrs mark. The last few nights suggest that he will not fall asleep in the evening without it. He woke up N times crying for us to put it back. No sleep for us. He didn't need the night feed anymore. we tried one night giving him a feed thinking he might be hungry and thus the frequent waking. he still woke up frequently afterward. We tried not giving it to him at the beginning of the night and he wouldn't settle at all. After a while of fussing and crying, he fell asleep when we put it in. Sigh. You ladies are really lucky with a baby who sleeps! Our best time with his sleep pattern is when he was 3.5m old. 1 wake overnight for the feed and more toward the early morning hours.

I don't know about which is better. Thumb sucker or dummy sucker! When he was 10w old at the sleep school, DS tried to suck on the thumb a lot but inconsistent. The trainer encouraged the use of dummy. She actually said that he would start using his fist and thumb at some point. Now, he is completely relying on the dummy. Lazy to put his fist at night. I asked ngala if they have any suggestion. They suggested to use dummy clip and shown him how to find it during the day. DS did try several times taking the dummy out and put it back in, except his coordination is still fairly poor. Normally, people wean it off by 2yrs old as they told me. I honestly don't mind the use of dummy. It is certainly handy when we want to shut him up in public and helps with his teething pain. It jut becomes a problem now that he refuses to sleep without it.

DS also started not liking any kind of seat. He tries hard to get himself off. We have to use seat belt for the bouncer now. Similar experience with the car. He was ok for a while but now gets bored quickly. I suspect it is just baby at this age wants to be on the move!

I read that baby learns how to roll from tummy to back first but DS is the other way around. Oh, we can't put him on the playmat alone anymore. DH went to do something in the kitchen quickly and DS ended up on the other side of the room when DH came back yesterday. He somehow moved himself across the room when lying on his back. Huh?! Weird.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Tanej78: have you found someone to do full dose of intralipid in melbourne? Try Nick L?

How was your weekend ladies?

Now, i totally understand why they say no formal sleep training (controlled crying or some sort) until baby is 6m old. DS changes a lot since 4 months old. In the last couple of days, he seems to show a bit of understanding with his behavior. Knowing we were upset with him. Knowing he can't get off his carseat etc. We are now starting scheduled nap time. So far, so good on day 1. 3x nap a day. I think this is necessary only because DS is a terrible napper! Unfortunately, that means we have to sacrifice the library program and part of playgroup time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope weekend was good. We had a long weekend here. How was your weekend?

Have you managed to reduce the amount of dummy time with ds? Is he sleeping better? That's great you can get him to 3 times nap a day. That's what we aim for but sometimes he still does 4. Especially on days when his sleep is disturbed like Childcare or if we go out. Today he only slept 20min again at Childcare. Another baby probably woke him up and he only drank 40ml after 3.5 hrs of not eating it's because they have so many babies there they can't give him the attention he needs so of he is difficult to feed they just try again later so after feeding for 1 hr he only drank 40ml. What the?? Soon as I put him in the car he fell asleep. He was probably too tired to eat. Yup he loves the car seat now. Out like a light as soon as he goes in it. No dummy no anything. Even when it's not his nap time he will somehow just fall asleep in there. Oh I'm not complaining but so funny when you suddenly just see this change. I'm waiting in the car now for him to wake up. Poor little guy is so tired.

I try to stick with a schedule if I can but as I know he knows how to sleep now I'm not too fussed. So if I need to wake him to go do something I will because I know he will make up his sleep at the next cycle. His poos have been a bit weird the last few days. Did 3 in one day then nothing the next day and still nothing today.

Do you think formula tastes bad? I had a bit of comfort and thot it tasted ok. Similar to my breastmilk just a bit heavier.

Can you see any teeth come through with ds yet? Are his cheeks or gums red?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Gelati is ds used to have both arms unswaddled now? Mine is in sleeping bag for over a week now and no problem at all. She sleeps very well in the sleeping bag. We use sleeping bag during the day when she's home as well. When we are out no sleeping bag.

How's DS at childcare? Is he enjoying it? I can imagine it can be hard for him to nap as there could be other babies crying. That's good that he will fall asleep in the car straight away though. Power nap will help him to stay fresh.

I can't wait for mine to love car seat. Lately she fusses a lot in the pram too! Hahha. Seriously!

Are you still BF @Gelati? We are officially off now. I was very sad. Took me 3-4 days to come to term about it. I am now exclusively expressing. I express 5 times in 24 hours including a 2 am shift. She gets lots of BM still but just in a bottle. Would prefer direct BF.

Our formula doesn't taste bad. Sweeter than BM though I think. It also smells different.

Your DS sounds like a champion @Gelati
    @bbhope we are yet to find our perfect formula. I haven't changed because she's getting more BM but when my BM dries up we are in trouble re formula.

It's good that he likes solid. It might help with his digestion and colic hopefully? I really hope so. It's been a very rough few months for you guys.

I asked MHN about sucking fist and thumb. She said most of the time they will grow out of it so just let them be. She said most babies will do that as they found their hands. DD sucks on her fist not thumb.

Haha did DS do backstroke across the room? That's quite funny.

Have you joined the mg yet @bbhope?

We had a good weekend. Now we are completely on the bottle i am more aware of her feeding pattern (volume wise) and her sleeping pattern during the day is better too as we don't spend close to an hour feeding.

DD does one long sleep early morning. One short cycle mid morning. One long sleep after lunch. Followed by one short cycle before night sleep. So total of 4 sleeps. How do I know when dd is ready to switch to 3 sleeps?

But yeah I was just thinking about going to the library and etc. I think on those days I will just need to wake her up otherwise we will be home too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib - yeh ds is both arms out in a sleeping bag now. Is that the same as your daughter? He's still not slept with no sleeping bag yet other than in the car seat but he seems to be ok. Loves pulling the blanket up over his face tho. It's a comfort thing. I then pull it off after he falls asleep.

I don't think he enjoying Childcare as he's too young but it's good to get him used to it.

We only breastfeed once a day now. First thing in the morning as I have lots of milk after not pumping for 8 hrs and he's still a bit sleepy so we feed for 20-30min. Don't worry as long as you keep expressing you won't dry up. Plus she'll be on solids soon and you won't have to worry so much. You've done an awesome job persisting with it. Go you!

That sounds like a great schedule. And it sounds like she still needs 4 naps. How long does she sleep overnight now? Just let her guide you. If she doesn't seem sleepy as it gets to her bedtime at night try stretch her out without that last nap and see how she goes. She'll probably be pretty grumpy by her bedtime but if she can handle it and maybe even sleep longer overnight then you know she's ok to ditch the last sleep. With ds we knew cos there were a few times we tried to put him down after 2 hrs and he refused to sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My weekend went well. Just the usual, nothing special. It was quite hot here so we didn't get to bring DS out on Sunday.

We just avoid giving him the dummy if it isn't bed time. Funny thing is that he fell asleep without the dummy in the car today because he was so freaking tired right after i picked him up from childcare. It was brisk driving by myself to the dr appt in the rush hour. I was so afraid that he was going to set out the big cry and i was already a bit late for the appt. He could care less about his dummy in that situation. Anyway, we can't quit the dummy cold turkey. He would cry like a maniac and wouldn't sleep without. We have to choose whether to sleep train him or quit dummy. I find it more stressful for him to quit dummy so we are sticking it for now. I talked to a few friends and they all said that it is a transient phase. Once they figure out how to put it back, it gets easier. Wean them off before 2 yrs old. Even the sleep school suggested that (i phoned them).

The sleep training is going fine. We put him down at a scheduled time. Let me self settle with the dummy in his cot like we do at night. Surprisingly, he no longer sets out distress cry like he used to. Something i noticed a week or two ago when I tried the spare bed. He was ok to just fall asleep with me giving him the comforter and dummy. A little bit of fuss. I didn't have to pat him even though I was in the room with him. For the cot, I left the room. He fussed immediately but no distress crying. It is a bit like controlled crying except I don't set a timer and let him cry. I went back in even though he wasn't crying and if he still wasn't sleeping. Most of the time just to put his dummy back in. Believe it or not, we were shocked that he actually slept 1.5 hrs each time for the nap! Perhaps there is some truth about selft settle baby sleeps longer. Well, that's if his dummy hasn't fallen out. The daycare didn't try really hard so all 30 mins catnap today. It seems like sleep doesn't come easy for DS. It is a development milestone for him.

Oh.....we had our dental appt to assess DS tongue and lip tie today. After the evaluation, i am not sure about getting it fixed. It is more about pros vs cons. He is no longer BF and he is gaining weight well. They can't guarantee that he will change the way he sucks so might not solve his swallowing air issue because he is fairly old to retrain his tougue. Now, we also notice how bad his lip tie is after comparing the way his bottom lip attaches to the teat. DH is still keen to get him fixed. It is $600 to get it fixed. Well, we have to see pass $ at this point. I just don't know if the pros outweigh the trauma. DH still thinks it is......we have a day to decide. the procedure is booked on thurs.
    @Minib: we are now trying allerpro. It is always a challenge on this watery formula. He has been pooping 3x today which might be due to the switch. I really hope that he doesn't have the allergy because normal formula is easier to find, keeps him fuller and less reflux problem.

As for the mother group, sigh, the lady might just be too polite to turn me down. She said OK but she didn't reply my message back a week ago when i asked if they were meeting given that Monday was a public holiday. Yesterday, I didn't see her at the playgroup either. Perhaps my friend is right. Most of the mother group is formed very early on and it is very hard to join a formed group.

You are very dedicated for expressing @Minib. 2am?!?
    @Gelati: I got some pictures from the daycare. DS seemed enjoy it there. He was smiling to everyone when i dropped him off and picked him up. Hahah....i don't think he knows much at this age! It is good to let him get used to people. they have cultural activities so that's all good for their learning experience. I did chat to one mother at the playgroup on monday. She doesnt like daycare and doesn't plan to send her son to daycare even after returning to work so I didn't comment much. She plans to let her parents babysit.

Oh..for sleeping bag, i went cold turkey with the ltd. DS is fine with it. Thanks goodness. I was worried that he was only self settle at night because of it. I bought couple ergo sleeping bag. It is in the mail. That's for cold night in the coming weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    PS: I am still so angry about the tongue and lip tie weren't picked up at the hospital. I could have breastfed a bit longer and DS wouldn't have to swallow so much air.

Have you started solid? @Gelati?