+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default cesarean and breast milk supply

hi mums my c sec is in 8 days and i'm.starting to wonder what it will all mean for my supply. my first baby was long traumatic labour with 2 epidural viles shoulder dystocia for baby and 4th degree tear for me. milk came in on day 5 and in small amounts my 4kg+ BABY was ravenous by then. This time there will be no stress but still c section is major surgery. Is there a good chance my milk will come in sooner this time? this baby will most likely also be on the bigger size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an elective cs with ds and my milk came in on day 3. Had him at midday on a Tuesday, milk came in Thursday. I knew it too, the Wednesday night was a nightmare with him wanting to latch non stop (he succeeded though). He was born at 38wks and 4kg. It was also day 3 with dd (natural)
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had an emergency and elective c-section and both times my milk came in on day 3. Both my ds and dd were born at 38 weeks, ds 2.6kgs and dd 3kgs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Milk came in on day three after my c sec

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine took a week, however it was emergency and I'd been through over 24 hrs of labor, hadn't eaten or drank anything during so was severely dehydrated and weak. I think considering you know it's going to happen you can ensure you're well rested, well hydrated, well nourished etc which will all help a lot. Also consider trying to express some colostrum now if you can. If you do find its taking longer than expected you can at least use some of your stored colostrum in those early days. It might also help kick start your production.

ABA article here if interested:

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfi...sion-colostrum

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (19-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an elective c-sec for DS2 my 3rd child after 2 vaginal deliveries each with complications. C-sec was much easier and milk came in day 2-3 and he's been the best to feed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thanks everyone. I feel very confident this time around with whole breast feeding thing.... provided baby takes to boob well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had an elective with my first bub and had heaps of colostrum initially and then my milk came in on day three, no issues with supply.

All the best with your upcoming birth babybloom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With both of my csects milk has come in day 3.

First was after a long stop/start labour and not dialating past 6cm and bub in distress.i was also flown from birthing hospital (1hr away from home) to a tertiary hospital due to high risk (6hrs from home)

Second was elective csect.

i have had supply issues both times but i am fairly certain my thyroid is to blame (hypothyroidism)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like the PP, I had both my bubs via c section. Milk came in right on 'schedule' around day 2/3. I had plenty of colostrum with both so had no issues with feeding. Good luck with your c section and BF journey!