+ Reply to Thread
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Help me pls with my edible plant nursery

Ok long time no post and probably noone remembers me but can anyone who reads this and gardens do me a big favour and help me out with some market research

I have a couple of questions relating to your purchasing/planting activity with veggie seedlings

1. If you have the option to buy INDIVIDUAL veggie seedlings instead of a punnet would you?
    2. If so, how many INDIVIDUAL seedling per variety would you buy/do you currently plant
    3. Do you find the seedlings in punnets difficult to separate out for planting?
    4. Do you find the seedlings in punnets wasteful (ie. you only plant half the punnet/there is too many in a punnet)
    5. How much do you pay for a punnet of veg seedlings on average
    6. Would you buy a tray of mixed veggies (say 12-48 INDIVIDUAL seedlings of mixed varieties that would be enough to plant out your entire garden for a season)

Thanks so much!!!
    Button

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Help me pls with my edible plant nursery

I'll bump this up for you by mentioning I remember you! Two kids born in under a year? Welcome back, hope people can help you!
    Ps I don't garden lol

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't been gardening much lately but will reply based on what I have done in the past. Hope this helps in some way.

1. If you have the option to buy INDIVIDUAL veggie seedlings instead of a punnet would you?

Yes

2. If so, how many INDIVIDUAL seedling per variety would you buy/do you currently plant

No

4. Do you find the seedlings in punnets wasteful (ie. you only plant half the punnet/there is too many in a punnet)

Yes

$5 max

6. Would you buy a tray of mixed veggies (say 12-48 INDIVIDUAL seedlings of mixed varieties that would be enough to plant out your entire garden for a season)

Yes but 12 max because I don't have that much space in my garden to plant lots of varieties. Also don't have enough knowledge and time to put towards looking after so many varieties at once.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I remember you
    1) if individual plants were less expensive I would buy them
    2) dependent on plant/space needed...ie thyme in punnets is too many, but tomatoes I want more if.
    3) no
    4) I always manage to plant them all out, although no in ideal conditions probably. .but can't bring myself to throw them
    5) a few dollars..pricing is the main reason I buy punnets and not individual seedlings. Indiv plants are usually more developed and therefore for expensive.
    6) YES! Awesome idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember you!

I would buy the big tray of 48.. But if this is your business idea, I think you should cater for people with small gardens too, and do a tray of 12 and one of 24.

I buy the 6 individual seedlings in a punnet mostly. They are around $3.98 from bunnings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. Yes
    2. Differs from year to year
    3. No

I think a mixed tray is a great idea, I have a small garden, so 12/24 variety packs sound good to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    Ok long time no post and probably noone remembers me but can anyone who reads this and gardens do me a big favour and help me out with some market research

I have a couple of questions relating to your purchasing/planting activity with veggie seedlings

Thanks so much!!!
    Button

I don't know you at all, but I'm always happy to make new friends!

And to answer your questions:-

1. Whether I buy individual or punnet seedlings depends solely on the quality of what's on offer. If the punnets look healthier I'll buy them, as often they are cheaper to buy in bulk than as individual plants. With tomatoes I'll always buy individually, and a bit bigger than the tiny ones you find in punnets.

2. I aim to plant 6 to 8 plants per row, and each row is for a different vegetable. The exception to this is lettuce in the Summer, where I plant two rows of 8.

3. Depends on the plant. Some seem sturdier than others (Capsicums, for example) and others seem to risk falling apart when I try to separate them (lettuce, cucumber.)

4. No, if I can't fit them into the vegie patch I'll find a spot for them somewhere! I have random spots around the garden where I can always squeeze one more. I also don't buy into that "Plant every 8 inches apart" rubbish. I cram the plants into my vegie patch and have never had an issue. At the end of the day the more I can fit in there the better off financially I am.

5. Now you're testing me. My memory is not good, and I tend to just buy what I need with little regard to price. I'd say on average maybe $4 a punnet for lettuce, capsicums, eggplant, cucumber etc. Beans, carrots and corn I buy as seed. Tomatoes are the most expensive, up to maybe $5 or $6 for an established individual plant. We're talking about 25cm high or so.

6. I would, as long as it had at least 6 of everything I needed.