+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My little boy goes to school in Victoria.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Alcohol at school events

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I don't have a problem with the responsible service of alcohol on school premises outside school hours, especially where students are not present. I don't see the problem at all. It's just like any other adult social function and if it's helps raise money for the school then that's a bonus.

I don't think it has anything to do with binge drinking culture. Our school runs art exhibitions and wine & cheese are served on opening night, no problem there. It's not like they're serving tequila shots and inviting a DJ.
    But isn't that the point, the kids are there.

Eg school disco, 8pm Friday night, student & parents in attendance.

I understand the fundraising thing, but I don't think it outweighs the need to show kids that you don't **need** to have alcohol present to have a good time.

Can't kids learn about responsible intake of alcohol at home with parents? Why do schools need to be involved?

ETA.. not trying to be a prude, I love a nice glass of red with dinner.
    Last edited by misho; 19-02-2016 at 11:07.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (19-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I've never been to a concert, fundraiser without the children present.

who's performing and fund raising if the kids aren't there?

Although i I guess if it was adults only after hours I wouldn't have a problem with it.
    We sponsor the local public school near work and they have a trivia night /charity auction every year at the school , no kids allowed , it's usually BYO and a lot of the donations for the auctions are from the local bottle shop plus the local public school near our home does a fundraising art auction no kids and they have it catered with alcohol - I think at DS school there are a few fundraising nights without kids but I'll find that all out this year!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

It's not about being a prude. Just like it's not about needing to have alcohol at events.

It makes money. Pure and simple. And if they don't sell it it's usually brought along anyway.

I've been on my kids' former school's PandC for years so I guess my views are skewed because I know how hard fundraising is. If people weren't so hard to get money out of it wouldn't be a factor (and just as an aside that school is alcohol free now. No particular reason just what was decided at the end of the year).
    Last edited by Sonja; 19-02-2016 at 12:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Good Lord. It seems people take offence to everything these days.

One of my friends told me that at her Preppie's "Welcome Morning", for the parents, at her daughter's Catholic Primary School, they served champagne. Giddy-up, I say.

At my Preppie's "Welcome BBQ", hosted by the P&F (Parents & Friends), which was after school earlier this year, I brought along 2 bottles of wine and some plastic wine glasses. Not only was it not discouraged, the Principal joined us for aforementioned beverage! No-one got spastic, or chundered in the bushes.

You guys must be much better Mummies than me, because there are some days I NEED a drink to help me cope with my 5yo and 2yo, and stop me from throttling the little blighters!!

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Noone is better than the other. Some of us just feel it's more appropriate to have that much needed drink at home.

We are way too busy looking after the children and showing our enthusiasm as to why we are there at those school events tbh. It's not the time or place to have a drink.
    Last edited by Blessedwith3boys; 19-02-2016 at 13:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I've only been to one school fete so far in our neighborhood in London, lovely sunny day and there were 'mocktails.' Definitely no alcohol. This was a Church of England school though so I'm not sure if it'd be different at another school, I'll ask my Facebook group☺️.

I'm not fussed either way, I see both points--teaching kids that alcohol doesn't need to be everywhere but also teaching kids about a healthy attitude about alcohol for enjoyment and moderation. It wouldn't bother me if it was or wasn't there.

BUT what has really blown my mind here is that parents attend school discos?! 😧 In the states they are just school dances for the kids with a couple of teachers and a couple of parents as chaperones. Do they have those as well or only these drinking parents fueled discos? 😉

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (19-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I've only been to one school fete so far in our neighborhood in London, lovely sunny day and there were 'mocktails.' Definitely no alcohol. This was a Church of England school though so I'm not sure if it'd be different at another school, I'll ask my Facebook group☺️.

I'm not fussed either way, I see both points--teaching kids that alcohol doesn't need to be everywhere but also teaching kids about a healthy attitude about alcohol for enjoyment and moderation. It wouldn't bother me if it was or wasn't there.

BUT what has really blown my mind here is that parents attend school discos?! 😧 In the states they are just school dances for the kids with a couple of teachers and a couple of parents as chaperones. Do they have those as well or only these drinking parents fueled discos? 😉
    I worked in a CofE school in UK...and there was a rule no alcohol on school grounds.

Other schools didn't have that same rule.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (19-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a cordoned off bar area at our school's biannual fete, but no other alcohol at school events.

I never thought much of it until my friend who is a police officer said she was called to a primary school disco last year where there was alcohol for sale for the parents and a couple of them were drunk and getting verbally aggressive with each other. In front of the kids. Nice.

So yeah, it's fine if people can handle themselves appropriately, but what if they can't/don't? This was in my city by the way.

It made me think about it more and I came to the conclusion that despite my enjoyment of wine, it's wholly unnecessary to sell it at school events. My police officer friend, who also enjoys wine, was mortified that alcohol was available at that disco. She said she knows she's jaded by what she's seen over the years in a variety of situations, but sees no reason whatsoever so have a school disco and alcohol for parents in conjunction and after hearing the story I had to agree with her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Are you thinking of high school discos or primary school? At our primary school they held a little disco for the kindy to year 3 and parental attendance was compulsory so the younger kids could be helped. The year 4-6 disco would be later in the evening and less parents were needed but as these are events run by parents groups then they are required. Not the teachers. Teachers can come but as they are after school hours it's up to the teacher.

I'm sure every school runs it differently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Are you thinking of high school discos or primary school? At our primary school they held a little disco for the kindy to year 3 and parental attendance was compulsory so the younger kids could be helped. The year 4-6 disco would be later in the evening and less parents were needed but as these are events run by parents groups then they are required. Not the teachers. Teachers can come but as they are after school hours it's up to the teacher.

I'm sure every school runs it differently.
    Both, I've never been to a school dance where all of the parents attended, only a couple of parents as chaperones.

Eta: although kindy kids wouldn't be there, probably begins at year 3.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 19-02-2016 at 18:14.