+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    ...it seems I have stepped through the looking glass into the, ahem magical?, world of sociopolitical correctness.

But as I said, you all must be better than me. But that's OK, I can cope

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by J37; 19-02-2016 at 06:27.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (19-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Alcohol at school events

Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    ...it seems I have stepped through the looking glass into the, ahem magical?, world of sociopolitical correctness.

But as I said, you all must be better than me. But that's OK, I can cope

So do you not think there's anything wrong with using the word spastic?

Couldn't care less if you drink or not. People have their own stress release. My stress release is a 5km walk that I do with my friend 5 nights a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It doesn't seem strange to me at all. I highly doubt parents would be getting p!ssed and acting inappropriately and if they do.

I have been thinking about all the events I went to growing up (my Mum is a teacher in a private school in SA) and I can't remember there being drinks, but my parents drinking wine was pretty normal, so I doubt I would even have noticed it!

I also don't see the issue from a teachers point of view either

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really, no. It's a common urban phrase which almost everyone understands, or has used themselves if they are honest, used to describe the "muscle spasms and unco-ordinated movement, ie. spasticity" associated with intoxication. And in fact, is also the medical definition of "spastic".

I've got no idea what you think I meant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Alcohol at school events

Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    Not really, no. It's a common urban phrase which almost everyone understands, or has used themselves if they are honest, used to describe the "muscle spasms and unco-ordinated movement, ie. spasticity" associated with intoxication. And in fact, is also the medical definition of "spastic".

I've got no idea what you think I meant.

Only when called out on the use of the word did you then *again* point out how political correct people are.

Maybe you as a doctor would use that term with other doctors (which I highly doubt anyway) you are using your medical background to wriggle your way out of using a term that you would be aware would offend many people. I'm sure you're not blind (pun intended) to the word being highly offensive to some but you chose to use it anyway.

Funny how when people are pulled up on their un pc comments/actions that it's always the problem of those who are offended instead of you taking some personal responsibility to what is right and acknowledging that what you said is wrong.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 19-02-2016 at 07:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK BRV, you're better and nicer than me. Of course I don't try to offend people, but I honestly just don't see how the phrase "got spastic" in the context of drinking is offensive.

And the term spasticity is most certainly used in the clinical setting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyway, I've got to get my Preppie to school. I'll come back later if you want me to. Unless I'm at the pub, of course

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'd be interested to know what happens at European schools where the relationship with alcohol is healthier.
    Firstly I really am not an up tight person, but I see no place for alcohol in a school environment, I mean you can't smoke on school premises, can't pack your kids a biscuit, chips, chocolate, so how in the world can alcohol fit in?
    dd went to school in Vic and no way would it be allowed so I just assumed it was like that at all schools.

We are now in Europe and I've never been to an event that had alcohol, last year there were quiet a few fundraisers, for some equipment- but no alcohol.
    Although it's considered normal after the Christmas concert to go with a group of parents and our kids into town and grab a mulled wine, where we saw some of the teachers too, that to me was fine as it was not on school grounds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't have a problem with the responsible service of alcohol on school premises outside school hours, especially where students are not present. I don't see the problem at all. It's just like any other adult social function and if it's helps raise money for the school then that's a bonus.

I don't think it has anything to do with binge drinking culture. Our school runs art exhibitions and wine & cheese are served on opening night, no problem there. It's not like they're serving tequila shots and inviting a DJ.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

J37  (19-02-2016),turquoisecoast  (19-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never been to a concert, fundraiser without the children present.

who's performing and fund raising if the kids aren't there?

Although i I guess if it was adults only after hours I wouldn't have a problem with it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

kim85  (19-02-2016)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast