+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Alcohol at school events

Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    No, not during school hours but at school events, on school grounds
    Ok. My understanding is in nsw no alcohol can be served on school grounds when children are present irrespective of the timing of the event.

Other states are not so prescriptive.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After school hours I dont see a problem. I am in charge of my children then not the teachers so either me or dh wont drink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our NSW primary school has a strict no alcohol rule at events. It says it on every note.

Only time I've had alcohol at school events was a parent-only trivia night that was at a local hall, and at high school there was a 'wine and cheese' meet the parents night, which was kid-free.

I think it's unnecessary to have alcohol at a school event that has kids there. And yes I do think it sets a bad example for the kids. Australia has a massive drinking problem; if we are demonstrating to kids that something as basic as a school event *needs* alcohol to be served, then I think that that contributes towards our poor drinking culture.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (19-02-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (18-02-2016),cheeeeesecake  (18-02-2016),just her chameleon  (18-02-2016),SoThisIsLove  (18-02-2016),VicPark  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Ok. My understanding is in nsw no alcohol can be served on school grounds when children are present irrespective of the timing of the event.

Other states are not so prescriptive.
    I think op is in sa.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Alcohol at school events

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think op is in sa.
    Yep I know. I was just mentioning what the rules are in nsw as a pp above is also talking about nsw. It's interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post

I think it's unnecessary to have alcohol at a school event that has kids there. And yes I do think it sets a bad example for the kids. Australia has a massive drinking problem; if we are demonstrating to kids that something as basic as a school event *needs* alcohol to be served, then I think that that contributes towards our poor drinking culture.
    I feel the same.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

misho  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like it at any school after hours functions - that are on school grounds.

Eg: primary school disco on a Friday night in the school hall, shouldn't be allowed. Don't know why we need alcohol at school functions in front t of kids.

Eg: school trivia night at local RSL, go for your life.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (19-02-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (18-02-2016),SoThisIsLove  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I have endured sooo many school events without even a drop of wine...seems I'm missing out!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think the best example you can set to kids re booze is that it can be enjoyed healthily in moderation. it's about fostering a healthy attitude about it.

if you hide it away and make it out to be naughty contraband, kids will cotton on and wonder what the big deal is. this isn't the prohibition and we aren't puritans. I don't see any issue with enjoying a pleasant glass of wine or a light beer at a school event.

unless you're an alcoholic or have a tendency to be unable to stop after one or two, I don't see the issue.

I wouldn't say school functions and alcohol necessarily go hand in hand, but I think it's ok so long as parents know where to draw the line.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (20-02-2016),J37  (18-02-2016),Rocky27  (19-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I am a teacher, &no way would I be able to drink on the job at school... I've never heard of alcohol at a school event. Im in SA & mostly in the private system though,so it might differ in different states & public school. I guess it depends on what capacity a teacher is working - if it is only a 'social' event where parents are responsible for their own children, & teachers are there in a social only capacity - I guess OK for a teacher to have a drink.If a teacher is responsible for care of children, NO WAY should they be able to drink on the job. Completely unacceptable. I guess I also think it is unneccesary &a little inmappropriate to have alcohol at a school event.
    that's drinking on the job though. parents who are attending in a social capacity are a different story. as a teacher on duty you would have a duty of care. parents attending a school fete would not. so while I agree teachers should not be drinking, I struggle to find an issue with the parents enjoying a glass or two.