+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Alcohol at school events

I was quite surprised to find out today that they allow alcohol at school events, on school grounds at my daughters school. She just started this year and apparently parents and teachers were all drinking at last years Xmas concert, school fair and other school events.

Is this normal? IMO its not setting a great example and isn't really the place for it. Surely u can go to your child's school concert without needing to booze up? I was told by other concerned mums that the department of education said its up to the principal to decide.

I was quite shocked, am I overreacting?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you are over reacting.

Our school has a 'alcohol area' at the disco, barn dance and school fete.

I don't have a problem with it and I don't drink at school events because the drive is too far. If we lived closer I would.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK thanks I'm a first time school mum so took me by surprise is all and wondered if it was the norm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Definitely normal. It can be a huge money earner for the PandC if they can sell alcohol at school events etc.

I've found if you don't control it it happens anyway.

I personally think it adds a nice vibe to the events but wouldn't say it's essential. Never seen parents or teachers behave inappropriately or get drunk.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (18-02-2016),SoThisIsLove  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah that was my concern, drunk idiots or children getting hold of alcohol ( of course in hindsight this could happen anywhere!) I love a good wine don't get me wrong 😆 It just never occurred to me that a school wouldn't be a dry zone.

All part of adjusting to being a school mum I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm surprised its allowed. At the last parent info night we were all joking that it would be a much more interesting night if they provided wine rather than tea for the parents, but we figured it wasn't allowed as the school would be at risk of lawsuits if anyone drove home under the influence and the school had provided the alcohol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am a teacher, &no way would I be able to drink on the job at school... I've never heard of alcohol at a school event. Im in SA & mostly in the private system though,so it might differ in different states & public school. I guess it depends on what capacity a teacher is working - if it is only a 'social' event where parents are responsible for their own children, & teachers are there in a social only capacity - I guess OK for a teacher to have a drink.If a teacher is responsible for care of children, NO WAY should they be able to drink on the job. Completely unacceptable. I guess I also think it is unneccesary &a little inmappropriate to have alcohol at a school event.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I am a teacher, &no way would I be able to drink on the job at school... I've never hears of alcohol at a school event. Im in SA & mostly in the private system though,so it might differ in dofferent states & public school. I guess it depends on what capacity a teacher is working - if it id only a 'social' event where parents are responsible for their own children, & teachers are there in a social only capacity - I guess OK for a teacher to have a drink.If a teacher is responsible for care of children, NO WAY should they be able to drink on the job. Completely unacceptable.
    From my understanding it was at events where parents were present and after school hours, but at the school. I'm in SA and this is a public school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I am a teacher, &no way would I be able to drink on the job at school... I've never hears of alcohol at a school event. Im in SA & mostly in the private system though,so it might differ in dofferent states & public school. I guess it depends on what capacity a teacher is working - if it id only a 'social' event where parents are responsible for their own children, & teachers are there in a social only capacity - I guess OK for a teacher to have a drink.If a teacher is responsible for care of children, NO WAY should they be able to drink on the job. Completely unacceptable.
    Definitely only ever seen it at out of school hours events where teachers are there only in a social capacity. Eg a school fete or market day. Not at regular events like meetings etc.

a risk assessment has to be done and at least one person selling or providing alcohol needs a RSOA ticket. So it's not a straightforward matter. Also has to be disclosed to insurers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (18-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Very normal at the local state primary schools in Melbourne. Like I said can be a massive money earner for a PandC.