+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Birth centre in Brisbane

I'm currently nearly 7 weeks pregnant and a week ago my doctor sent my referral through to RBWH, stating that I wished to be entered into the birth centre ballot. But she didn't give me any information other than that.

Could anyone give me any more info if you went there?

She also told me to ring the birth centre to confirm they got my referral, but I can't seem to find a number to call? Could anyone pm me with who to contact? I'm a little lost and I don't see my doctor again through my pregnancy apparently

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A quick Google search came up with this. There is a number at the bottom and other info as well...

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/rbwh/s.../maternity.asp

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had two babies through the birth centre (DS in 2013 and DD in December 2015). The ballot is drawn when you are around 12 weeks. Just call the main maternity outpatients number to confirm they have received the referral.
    Are there any particular things you'd like to know? I had two very different experiences so happy to share.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I rung, and she told me she couldn't confirm if they had received my referral and that they would contact me at 10 weeks if I got in...

How do I even know they got my referral in the first place?

Do you have to be normal bmi to get in? The doctor put my down as 26 and I don't know why as I'm only 24.5?

What pain relief are you allowed?

Can you stay longer than 6 hours if the birth is traumatic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had two babies through the birth centre in 2011 and 2015. They do have a drug free philosophy but pain relief is not a flat out no but they don't actively offer pain relief. I had two un complicated births and left the hospital around 12 hours after having my babies - that was my choice I wasn't pushed out the door and I believe if you had a traumatic birth or complications you may be transferred to birth suite if intervention is needed or you could request to stay longer if you didn't feel up to going home that soon. There are pain relief options like the birthing pools which are large and they offer water births ( my first was a water birth and the warm water helped immensely with the pain relief). I am sure if you won the ballot attended the birth centre and changed your mind about it suiting your birth preferences you could change to birth suite without much hassle. If you want more info message me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thescientist View Post
    Well I rung, and she told me she couldn't confirm if they had received my referral and that they would contact me at 10 weeks if I got in...

How do I even know they got my referral in the first place?

Do you have to be normal bmi to get in? The doctor put my down as 26 and I don't know why as I'm only 24.5?

What pain relief are you allowed?

Can you stay longer than 6 hours if the birth is traumatic?
    Did you call the birth centre or the main maternity outpatients number? The birth centre won't have your details yet but the maternity outpatients department should be able to tell you.
    As far as I know your bmi should not be an issue.
    Pain relief - the midwives won't actively offer any pain relief. You have access to gas, sterile water injections, bath, shower. You can arrange to hire your own TENS machine.
    My first birth I ended up being transferred to the main birth suite after a prolonged labour that failed to progress. I ended up getting an epidural at that point which my midwife wasn't too pleased about as she said it would prolong it further. It probably did but I was exhausted and needed a rest. I was required to stay for 24 hours as DS was a ventouse delivery. I was ready to go home and the follow up home visits were fantastic.
    DD - we went home after 6 hours which I was completely happy with. I had hoped for a water birth but my labour progressed really quickly and I only just got to the hospital in time to push (the bath was still filling!). I asked for gas at one point but the midwife advised against it as she said it would make pushing more challenging. I'm really happy she did that as I had gas afterwards when getting stitches and it made me feel pretty horrible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misstrouble View Post
    Did you call the birth centre or the main maternity outpatients number? The birth centre won't have your details yet but the maternity outpatients department should be able to tell you.
    As far as I know your bmi should not be an issue.
    Pain relief - the midwives won't actively offer any pain relief. You have access to gas, sterile water injections, bath, shower. You can arrange to hire your own TENS machine.
    My first birth I ended up being transferred to the main birth suite after a prolonged labour that failed to progress. I ended up getting an epidural at that point which my midwife wasn't too pleased about as she said it would prolong it further. It probably did but I was exhausted and needed a rest. I was required to stay for 24 hours as DS was a ventouse delivery. I was ready to go home and the follow up home visits were fantastic.
    DD - we went home after 6 hours which I was completely happy with. I had hoped for a water birth but my labour progressed really quickly and I only just got to the hospital in time to push (the bath was still filling!). I asked for gas at one point but the midwife advised against it as she said it would make pushing more challenging. I'm really happy she did that as I had gas afterwards when getting stitches and it made me feel pretty horrible.
    I rang the switch board, and they referred me through to the birth centre. She was pretty rude to me to be honest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thescientist View Post
    I rang the switch board, and they referred me through to the birth centre. She was pretty rude to me to be honest
    Best to ring the outpatients number as they can actually check - the number is the one on the link above from the pp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had 2 babies at the birth centre. It is great but waiting for the ballot and dealing with the maternity outpatients is a pain. It'll be worth it once you have your first appointment. I left my first appointment really looking forward to giving birth!!

I also really wanted to know if my referrals had been received. I found an email address on the Rbwh website and got a reply saying I was in the ballot. That was a few years ago now though.

You can have pain relief, including morphine, the midwives are able to give you a couple of doses. They don't like to do that and probably won't recommend it but it is an option. If you require an epidural though you will have to be transferred to the birth suite (it's only a few metres down the hall and your midwife will accompany you). My midwife was quite honest about there being times when epidurals are necessary (high blood pressure, long labours etc) but they will try to avoid if possible as they want you to avoid the extra monitoring and the cascade of interventions that can occur after an epidural. Don't worry about being in pain. The best pain relief is warm water and I highly recommend having a water birth if you can.

As a first time mum my biggest worry was going home so soon after the birth but it really wasn't as issue. I went home about 8 hours after both births but they were rushing a bit to get my paperwork done so I easily could've stayed longer. The first time I wanted to leave around then as my mum arrived at the airport and I wanted to surprise her with a baby in the car! Second time I wanted to go home and see my DS1.

One of the best things about the birth centre is the post natal visits at home by your midwife. I think this is better than a longer stay in hospital. You're in the comfort of your own home, with your own bed and bathroom and can get your boobs out as much as you want! Your midwife is on call 24h a day for the first 2 weeks and you can also see a lactation consultant at Rbwh for the first 4 weeks. You'll get a daily midwife visit for the first few days and other days as required.

Anyway good luck with the ballot, your pregnancy and the birth. You'll be in great hands at the birth centre.