+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Confused about money!

My husband and I both bought houses prior to being married which we have as investment rentals. He and I have a rather large mortgage for the house we bought together, but know if we sell we would still earn a decent profit. He works in WA and earns approx $200000 a year, and I earn approx $70000 a year, but also am full time studying for a career change which I will need to put on hold. We have split recently (reasonably amicable), but found out we were pregnant just after we put our joint "family home" on the market. I was wondering how centrelink works. I am trying to see what I should do in the near future, buy my own house, study, work (aargh) I am living in Melbourne with no family support (they are in the UK, and his family are in QLD). I feel like there isn't a chance I would be able to get anything from the government, but my ex and I both just recently used the last of our joint savings to pay off our personal investment mortgages. He currently receives $38000 a year as rental income, and I will earn $20000 a year (first year of renting so only approx for me). I know it sounds like there is a bit of money coming in, but I feel like I won't have any income for the first few years of being a new mother. ??? Am I even eligible for child support or anything?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You will absolutely be eligible for child support from your babies father. I would see a family lawyer ASAP regarding the financial separation...it's complicated and will involve your family home, the investments and superannuation. I wouldn't make any financial changes, including selling the home until you have legal advice.
    How long until bub is born? I would possibly hold off on financial settlement until after the baby is born, as children change everything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am 8 weeks pregnant, so due end of September. I work in the medical field and just happened to be getting a few sexual health tests from a pathologist friend of mine and found out rather early on. I feel that it would be easier to settle our finances before our baby is born? But good to know the child support is available to me. Does that have to go through Centrelink or could he and I come to an agreement together?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Confused about money!

You def need legal advice before you do anything else.

Once your bub is born you register a case with both child support agency & centrelink.

You may not get much from centrelink but you never know so better to speak to them & find out.

If you look it up you can find both centrelink calculators and child support calculators online to help give you a rough idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It would be less complicated to do it now, however once you have a child, the court will look at your situation quite differently as you have a child to support. I doubt they will take such early pregnancy into consideration if the settlement is done now. Make an appt with a lawyer.