+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I didn't think anyone could speak to a child without a guardian present. I know I certainly can't in my job.
    Child protection would have to be able to. Could you imagine a child opening up if there's abuse or something by a parent with them present?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't think anyone could speak to a child without a guardian present. I know I certainly can't in my job.
    DHS can definitely. My SIL has had to speak with them and a lot of the time they speak to the child alone to make sure there is no one influencing what they're saying while the DHS worker is there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeful1986 View Post
    DHS can definitely. My SIL has had to speak with them and a lot of the time they speak to the child alone to make sure there is no one influencing what they're saying while the DHS worker is there.
    I can't multi quote sorry. I didn't write what I meant - I meant tell the guardian they are going to talk to them. According to the act unless there is immediate risk of harm they must tell at least 1 parent before investigating an allegation of harm. But shouldn't there be a support person there for the child? Adults have the right to have lawyers with them, why don't kids get someone with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default TRIGGER WARNINGMy child was molested by another child at daycare...what shoul...

Because unfortunately it's sometimes the parents/guardians who are the perpetrators - child services have trained staff who stay /interview the kids and make sure there is someone there to look after them, if it's serious they go straight into emergency foster care

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't multi quote sorry. I didn't write what I meant - I meant tell the guardian they are going to talk to them. According to the act unless there is immediate risk of harm they must tell at least 1 parent before investigating an allegation of harm. But shouldn't there be a support person there for the child? Adults have the right to have lawyers with them, why don't kids get someone with them.
    From my experience the child can have someone with them but if the worker feels that person's presence is influencing the responses of the child the worker can politely ask them to leave. Lawyers aren't the same thing. Sometimes kids are more open when no one is with them. And doing it that way can be in the best interests of the child.

I think the parent/guardian does need to be told DHS is being notified, but they don't need to be in the room when the child is questioned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh my gosh what an awful situation- for everyone involved.

OP I, like you, would be furious that my husband had kept such information from me. HOWEVER, I would be able to understand his reasoning.

FWIW, mine would not keep it from me, but that's mainly because I have worked in childcare and dealt with similar incidents in the past, and he knows I would trust his judgement and deal with it my way, if necessary, later.
    I, on the other hand, WOULD keep it from him in the same situation- he would not handle it well, and would be very emotional. Quite rightly too, but it wouldn't actually help anyone.

I would have continued to send my daughter to care also, if she was happy to go and wasn't distressed/continually repeating the incident/etc.
    And, based on @TheDad info, would be ok with the centre's response for the present. I would continue to touch base and question things though.

Having said all that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with you feeling that his response was not up to scratch- as it is fine for him to feel that it is and you are not taking it well.... there is no wrong reaction to something like this.

I hope the centre is able to provide you with reassurance and deal with it well. And I hope your daughter is ok (and the boy involved too).

Best of luck.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (21-02-2016),MrsMummaButterfly  (05-03-2016),SuperGranny  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default TRIGGER WARNINGMy child was molested by another child at daycare...what shoul...

http://www.sott.net/article/313403-P...xual-predators

Thought this might be appropriate to share for this thread.

ETA: Actually, hope the link doesn't get me busted for explicit language.

Hope the OP's family is doing ok.

Thanks
    Reviews