+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    But they shouldn't be telling anyone else if they have informed the parents? It's a total breach of confidentiality.

I'm not sure what you mean.

The usual procedure is to inform the Police then once the Police have been informed, a letter is sent out to parents to inform them that an incident has occurred and that the matter is at hand.

This is mainly done to contain hysteria and prevent it before it happens.

Kids talk. Little Miss 3 could come home and say "Mummy, Katie told me that Dylan licked her on the woo woo..." and the parent would be like, what? And ring her friend, another parent at the centre and it would get out and get nasty. I've seen that happen.

By dealing with it formally and as per the legislated procedure, parents are rightly informed that a safety breach has occurred, the circumstances surrounding this (although not in depth) and that the matter is being dealt with.

Only the other day I received notification by way of letter from the centre my child attends regarding an incident where Police had to be called. I didn't fret. I simply noted it and followed it up. Easy.

Hiding it behind closed doors doesn't do anyone any favours.

You can still maintain a level of confidentiality and still keep people informed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post

The usual procedure is to inform the Police then once the Police have been informed, a letter is sent out to parents to inform them that an incident has occurred and that the matter is at hand.

Kids talk. Little Miss 3 could come home and say "Mummy, Katie told me that Dylan licked her on the woo woo..." and the parent would be like, what? And ring her friend, another parent at the centre and it would get out and get nasty. I've seen that happen.

By dealing with it formally and as per the legislated procedure, parents are rightly informed that a safety breach has occurred, the circumstances surrounding this (although not in depth) and that the matter is being dealt with.

Only the other day I received notification by way of letter from the centre my child attends regarding an incident where Police had to be called. I didn't fret. I simply noted it and followed it up. Easy.

You can still maintain a level of confidentiality and still keep people informed.
    Im wondering if the procedure is different though if no teacher actually witnessed it? @Sally1981 touched on that a bit, because nobody saw it happen options become limited.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought of this.

At every Centre in Australia there should be a folder with guidelines and procedures relating to issues such as this.

At any time, a parent can request to review these and take steps to ensure thta these are being followed.

I am not sure of the process in other states but in South Australia they have a standards board whereby you can let them know what is happening and they send out a team to investigate. They then take any action that is necessary - which can involve other parties - but keep the parents informed and they have the power to strip the centre of their accreditation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Tickle For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (19-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default TRIGGER WARNINGMy child was molested by another child at daycare...what shoul...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post

I'm pretty sure she meant that they're not allowed to tell other parents as it is a breach of confidentiality.

In the past, if my children have been hurt by other children, the centre isn't allowed to tell me who it is and it's not something they should be discussing with other parents whose children aren't involved.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

harvs  (19-02-2016),Nemmi1987  (19-02-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default TRIGGER WARNINGMy child was molested by another child at daycare...what shoul...

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I'm pretty sure she meant that they're not allowed to tell other parents as it is a breach of confidentiality.

In the past, if my children have been hurt by other children, the centre isn't allowed to tell me who it is and it's not something they should be discussing with other parents whose children aren't involved.
    This is exactly what I mean.

I get frustrated when parents complain that we 'haven't done anything' when they feel their child has been wronged. The fact is, we are not supposed to share that sort of information with other families, even if they are involved in an incident.

I posted earlier in this thread suggesting it's best to be wary of assuming that nothing was going on behind the scenes, and to focus on their own child and her safety. The strong requirement for confidentiality exists for highly valid reasons, as frustrating as it may seem.

The guidelines for what to do in the OP's scenario are very, very clear in terms of follow up, and @Sally81's post was extremely helpful.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (19-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Im wondering if the procedure is different though if no teacher actually witnessed it? @Sally1981 touched on that a bit, because nobody saw it happen options become limited.
    No. Options don't become limited. Why would they? In my experience the procedure is exactly the same. If an incident has been reported, it still goes through the legislated channels. For the purposes of reporting, it doesn't matter if no one saw it happen. What happens during the procedure is outside this topic. My point is that from the get go if a child says that an act took place the person to whom it's reported be they a parent, reporter, child care worker etc have a duty to ensure that this is addressed and they must report it.

The Centre must then perform their own notification and ratification procedures.

This would normally include a meeting with the parents, other parties may become involved - it just depends on the particulars of the case. But the suggestion that just because two children are the only witnesses means that their options are limited accordingly is not correct.

All this could be sorted if the parents attend the Centre, ask to see the Policy book wherein they would find the guidelines and procedures. If the Centre did not have this material they could then move forward and either report it to the Police themselves or the Centre's governing body in their State. If they don't know where to look they can either ask in a forum like this or look online or attend their local MP...the choices are endless in today's society.

Whether the fact that the father has aired this here or whether mother can't fly home or whether the child reporting it has made it up or whether the Centre is a crappy one or whether it would stick in Court etc is not for us to judge. Gotta take all that out of the equation.

What simply matters here is that a child has reported that a sex act has been performed upon them by another child at their daycare Centre, that this report is taken seriously and dealt with via the proper channels to ensure that both children are safe and/or receive the additional care that they may need.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Tickle For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (31-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Mrs Tickle. Which piece of legislation states that the police have to be notified in these cases? And what do you say the police should do about it?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

Nemmi1987  (21-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

One of our good friends is a child protection worker in Sydney and she said the centres/schools legally must report any incident involving children of any age for any claims of anything of a sexual matter to child protection services ( mandatory reporting) immediately regardless if there is proof or witnesses and that in most cases the protection workers come and speak to the children before their parents are even contacted so they can see if the parents may be involved and that the kids haven't been coached on what to say

Thanks
    Reviews
    deleted...
    Last edited by CleverClogs; 21-02-2016 at 09:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    One of our good friends is a child protection worker in Sydney and she said the centres/schools legally must report any incident involving children of any age for any claims of anything of a sexual matter to child protection services ( mandatory reporting) immediately regardless if there is proof or witnesses and that in most cases the protection workers come and speak to the children before their parents are even contacted so they can see if the parents may be involved and that the kids haven't been coached on what to say
    I didn't think anyone could speak to a child without a guardian present. I know I certainly can't in my job.