+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I had my second my first was at school, so obviously we were more relaxed/slack about things.

Once you have a child at school I don't think it is possible to create that environment you do for your first,
    that and I progressively got more slack with the second in general.
    As a result he is way more independent

Although I've never had trouble turning visitors away if they were feeling unwell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    That's entirely fine but what do you do when you have a baby and you have older kids at school? Or does the no vax / no visit rule really apply to people spending time in the home?

I'm just not sure how it works practically for me anyway once older siblings are at school and we're always out for some reason or another.
    I have 7 years between 1 & 3. All of my kids are vaxd. If dd1 bought something home and infected the others so be it - but where I had control, ie: not letting anyone not vaxd hold/cuddle/visit for lengths of time I enforced that. Also, if we were out shopping the babies were close to me ie: wearing and if people wanted to look/touch, I politely redirected them - we dont let people touch/get too close, particulalry as we lived in a small town full of elderly people when there was a wc outbreak. No unnecessary trips out other than to school for a while and did online shopping where possible. Hard but we were as protective as possible (bf, vaxd etc)....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm part of the other thread but a second time Mum. With DD I wasn't very vigilant at all, had heaps of people visit at the hospital and at home and didn't ask anyone to vax.

This time around I'm much more aware of the danger of whopping cough. I've had one friend almost lose her baby because of it and have had my GP and OB both inform me of the dangers and the fact it's on the rise in our area. If DD were in school I suppose I couldn't be as vigilant and would have to be more relaxed but she doesn't attend childcare or school so if I am vigilant about visitors I think I can pretty well keep bub away from the risk until she gets her WC shot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't even think about it first time around, I was so naive! People were passing DS1 around and one friend even put his finger in DS1s mouth to suck on!!! 😷😡 he wasn't even a day old yet.

With DS2 we were more prepared and aware, and we put a couple of Facebook announcements, carefully worded, that DS2 was soon to arrive and if people were wanting cuddles with him, they would need to be vaccinated first. I'm not sure how many people actually went and did it, but I hope they respected our wishes.

we insisted on all our immediate family getting vaccinated: our parents and our siblings

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I had my first bub quite some years ago, and I was a naive young mum. So WC or vaccinations didn't even cross my mind. I'm not sure outbreaks of WC were really even happening. Health care professionals certainly never mentioned anything anyway.

Same with my second and third.
    But tbh, even if I was strict with visitors, you HAVE to leave the house when you have older kids. Life cannot stop for 2 months so you can hibernate in your germ free house.

I did babywear 100% of the time though, and with a wrap sling, bub is totally covered and right up on your chest. So that makes people keep their distance from bub anyway. I would recommend it to anyone who is worried about WC and other illnesses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post

I did babywear 100% of the time though, and with a wrap sling, bub is totally covered and right up on your chest. So that makes people keep their distance from bub anyway. I would recommend it to anyone who is worried about WC and other illnesses.
    Yes! Baby wearing is great for keeping people's bugs off your baby and it's also so convenient! Love baby wearing!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to witherwings For This Useful Post:

Ngaiz  (17-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if anything, I'm being more vigilant second time round. With DD there wasn't much info on it and we didn't really worry about where we took her or who gave her a cuddle (although sick people we avoided).

This time round there is a lot more info about WC and where we live has typically low rates of vaccination and we tend to see at least 3-4 WC outbreaks in our area per year. DD's daycare regularly posts up notices about WC and knowing she will be both at daycare and kinder this year after bub is born, I feel like the risk of it making its way into our home has increased.

We are going to run into trouble with DH's parents though. They subscribe to a belief system that doesn't allow vaccinations 😐

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngaiz View Post

I work in pharmacy and the ETA for Boostrix was pushed back from Jan, to March and now there is not ETA.
    We received our first order of 400 Boostrix today (private practice, not govt supply ), so looks like it is coming back into supply. Yay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We told all family and friends with dd that they had to be vaxxed in order to come round and see us. Worked well till fil ended up in hospital for chemo day after birth and was quite sick 2 weeks later so mil guilted us into the hospital and had aunts and uncles from inlaw side of the family holding dd after being told no as mil was happy with it. Bil refused to get vaxxed as had a cold and didnt bother wanting to even see her till 4 weeks. This time most family members are still vaxxed as was only 2 yrs ago my brother who wasnt here for dd's birth needs his vax, i also want him to be vaxxed for himself after long history with repeat pneumonia his lungs cant tolerate wc and ive tried stressing to him we need him healthy as dont want him sick. Bil still hasn't been vaxxed or his gf, dh said he wont remind again ive put 2 announcements up on fb and neither have yet and live in an area that has had wc recently so will not be welcome and dh couldnt care less he is using as excuse so doesnt have to see him lol. There has been 2 big outbreaks late last yr and early last year locally so will be standing firm in saying no to visitors who are not vaccinated except for my nan who does not leave her house ever and is not in a state to be vaccinated or come into contact with it. The family members of dh who we know arent vaxxed are also the only ones who are very heavy smokers and we'd prefer away initially anyway in a house with a toddler with asthma and 2 adults with asthma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    We received our first order of 400 Boostrix today (private practice, not govt supply ), so looks like it is coming back into supply. Yay!
    Hmmmmm? What state are you in? We are a major Qld hospital (Qld biggest maternity) and we can't get it at ALL. I've got it on back order and haven't received any since the end of October.