+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know if I am strict or slack. I did not like too many visitors in the first weeks though.

DH and I are getting a new vax (he has not had one for a while). My IL's are not (they had it before DS about 3 years ago. So am comfortable with not asking them).

I will ask my mum and dad to. As I know they have not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS1 it was almost 21 years ago and half the vaxes on the schedule weren't around when he was born!

DS2 we were very strict. I didn't see it as forcing some to get the WC vax. If they chose not to then they could wait to see him until after his first needles. We lived in an area with a very low vax rate and herd immunity was iffy at best. So I kept him away from highly populated areas as much as I could and kept him in a wrap on my chest when I couldn't avoid it.

Belly Bub same rules will apply as for DS2.

I had WC when I was in my late 20's. I broke 4 ribs and it took 18 months to get my health and fitness back. I can't be blasé about WC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wasn't overly strict but I was cautious. We asked the grandparents to get wc vax and they did, however I wouldn't have banned them from seeing ds without it. I just asked that anyone that was sick to stay away until they were better. Really this only affected mum as she came down with something when he was a couple of weeks old - she was annoyed at not seeing him but understood perfectly. I covered his pram at the shops but I was out and about within days of his birth.

Second time round I'll prob be very strict. I'm on immunosuppressants which will affect my (as yet nonexistent) unborn baby. I wasn't on these meds with ds. The newborn will be immunosuppressed and it takes 6 months to clear out of their system so i won't be allowing anyone near the new baby that even has a hint of a runny nose or cough, no matter how innocent. The bub can also not receive all vaccinations on the schedule until after 6mo. Being around a toddler that attends daycare will be enough of a problem to manage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was pretty much unaware of the concept of ensuring visitors were vaxxed with DD 8 years ago. It was pre-bubhub days for me. I got home from hospital, changed, got back in the car and headed out to a big Christmas lunch. I had her at shopping centres, parks, cafes, back to hospital (my staples out), the airport, beach, all within her first few weeks. I was much more concerned about her catching a cold than measles.

With my 2nd I was mindful of it but DD's bestie was unvacced due to her cousin having a bad reaction. I couldn't really stop them hanging out! School drops, dance/swimming lessons and at the shops I used a wrap - both because thet are awesome but also it keeps hands off baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I've never lived in an area affected by WC so can understand your vigilance.
    It was a 700% increase at the local hospital of babies bring admitted. I actually wrote an email to family to tell them they couldn't visit for the first I think 6 weeks unless they'd been vaxxed. A few people just waited and visited later which suited me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was not at all concerned with this with my first two, but dd was almost 4 weeks early, i got the flu when she was about 10 days old, the flu was big that year too, so i didnt have many visitors except grandparents who had flu shots. Plus she was a winter baby and flu was massive...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not strict at all. My rationale is...There is a reason the vaccine is given to pregnant women and that is so some of the anti bodies pass through to the baby so they can be protected until they receive their vaccines at 6/8 weeks. But, in order to be fully protected they also need the 4 and 6 month vaccinations. Although I feel it is important for everyone to recieve boosters in the interests of public health, the NCIRS reccomendations for WC are only for those over 65 years old and occupational purposes every TEN years. My employer offers WC every 5 years though (maybe not now we don't have the kids hospital though).

I am quite strict on people visiting if they have been unwell or exposed to someone who has been unwell. If there was recent outbreak in my region I would be cautious also. My mum gets awful coldsores amd she knows shes is not allowed to kiss babies :-( ETA-other reasons I would be strict would include medical like immunosuppression like pp above or a premmie....or if I lived in the Tweed area on the NSW border.

I work in pharmacy and the ETA for Boostrix was pushed back from Jan, to March and now there is not ETA.
    Last edited by Ngaiz; 17-02-2016 at 19:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies, but I have always, and will always be a "no vax, no visit" person. Having had a child almost die from a vaccine preventable illness (she was under 1 and not due for the particular vaccine until she was 1, by then had already contracted). So if I can prevent exposure, particulalry when they are very little I will do everything to protect them. If people choose not to vax, fine but they wont get to see/hold my kids until they have some immunity against vp illnesses particulalry WC.

Plus some people are incredible stupid (oh *kiss, kiss* baby, yeah, had gastro on the weekend... really? Wtf?!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the time our children were born everyone we knew was vaccinated and it wasn't an issue. If we were to have another baby I'd be telling my own father, his wife and their daughter (my half sister) they weren't allowed to visit until bub was immunised. They are completely anti-vax, wasn't an issue previously as we were estranged until my youngest was 8 months old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by KitiK View Post
    I haven't read all the replies, but I have always, and will always be a "no vax, no visit" person. Having had a child almost die from a vaccine preventable illness (she was under 1 and not due for the particular vaccine until she was 1, by then had already contracted). So if I can prevent exposure, particulalry when they are very little I will do everything to protect them. If people choose not to vax, fine but they wont get to see/hold my kids until they have some immunity against vp illnesses particulalry WC.

Plus some people are incredible stupid (oh *kiss, kiss* baby, yeah, had gastro on the weekend... really? Wtf?!)
    That's entirely fine but what do you do when you have a baby and you have older kids at school? Or does the no vax / no visit rule really apply to people spending time in the home?

I'm just not sure how it works practically for me anyway once older siblings are at school and we're always out for some reason or another.